Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What To Do With A Nice Gun Cabinet?

I finally bought a safe to keep my guns in, but now what? It seems that nobody wants gun cabinets any more and it certainly isn't a cheap one to stick in a yard sale. It's a 10 gun cabinet made of black walnut by a local (now gone) cabinet company. I actually hauled the tree it is made from to the saw mill about 18 years ago. I'm thinking of puting a few less valuable guns in it as sort of a sacrafice in case anyone does get in when noone is home. Any other ideas?

I feel it is a gun owners responsibility to not allow any of their guns to get out of their hands so I feel leaving sacrificial guns in it is a poor choice. Conversion of usage is in order here. Maybe re-configure the interior a bit to hold something else. Another option is to make an entire room into a gun safe and then just keep all your guns in the cabinet inside that room. Walk-in gun safe, yeah, that's the ticket! :-)

After a little shelf adjustment/add on, it would be a nice and huge gun/outdoor related shadow box. I have seen them with displays of such items as casings from kids first deer, antler shed, rattle snake rattles, snake shed, clay targets (for some color), pictures from hunts/matches, bird nest, small mounts, fishing lure from big fish........etc. Use your imagination they can look really cool.

Yeah, I are a dickens aren't I?

This is instructional in nature. The kids memorize the labels on all the bottles. Thus, when you instruct little Suzy to fetch daddy another scotch she will know to ask if you wish Macallan, Laprohaig, Lagavulin or Jonny Walker (Red, Green, Black, etc).

;)

Yeah, I are a dickens aren't I?

This is instructional in nature. The kids memorize the labels on all the bottles. Thus, when you instruct little Suzy to fetch daddy another scotch she will know to ask if you wish Macallan, Laprohaig, Lagavulin or Jonny Walker (Red, Green, Black, etc).

;)

The best idea yet!!!

Joe

Another option is to make an entire room into a gun safe and then just keep all your guns in the cabinet inside that room. Walk-in gun safe, yeah, that's the ticket! :-)

That idea is already in my head, but no room for a room right now. Maybe if I ever do get around to adding a new garage or building a new house. That's one reason I'm not really trying to get rid of it, but the thing is too big to do nothing with. I'm not much of a drinker, so the liquor cabinet won't really work. I told the wife I need to work on getting the safe filled up so I can put the cabinet to use again :D

I feel it is a gun owners responsibility to not allow any of their guns to get out of their hands so I feel leaving sacrificial guns in it is a poor choice. Conversion of usage is in order here. Maybe re-configure the interior a bit to hold something else. Another option is to make an entire room into a gun safe and then just keep all your guns in the cabinet inside that room. Walk-in gun safe, yeah, that's the ticket! :-)

Reason # 8 why I love my fiance. She suggested that between what I have and what she wants to get that we just build a gun room, instead of a second safe. Gotta love her.

I bounced your scenario off of her and her suggestion was either a multi-shelf display case....or the expected answer......BUY MORE GUNS!

Rich