Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Illuminated Reticles

Scott G

I've got the MR/T M2 1.5-5 and I love it....but the illumination is not for daytime use. Maybe, as you say, on an overcast day.....but it's most useful in the dusky & dark times. Don't get the impression that it's going to light up like a true "red dot" scope.

That's what I was thinking when I bought my 1.5x5x20 illum ret. Can't see it in sunlight, even with the cover closed on the objective lens. Great for twilight, though.

If you like the Leupolds, get the non-illuminated one and save some $$$.

Scott

If you are not firmly set on Leupold take a look at the Meopta moestar 1-4x with illuminated K-dot reticle. I like leupold and have several on other rifles but always approach optics with an open mind. When I found the Meopta it fit my style of 3-gun shooting to a T. It has an incredible field of view, Superb light transmition true 1 power at 1x setting, and best of all it is fully daytime illuminated. Mounted to a Larue SPR mount it is a solid set-up.

post-6767-1164201772.jpg

My opinion is that reticle is a tad busy and gives me too much to look at thru the scope. In 3-gun shooting I figure the majority of my shots are closer than 100 yds. I like a dot and do not care for circles. Horizontal stadia are nice to help avoid canting. A stadia below the aiming point (verticle) is OK to aid in holdover on the occasional long shot. I think I just described the Kdot in the Meopta. Why a stadia line above the circle as in the Mueller? My only druther to the Kdot is the dot could be a tad smaller at high magnification but again would only serve better for long shots. What if they could make the dot adjustable in size with a turn of a knob like the brightness control? That would be slick.

Leupold is working hard to design an illuminated reticle that is visible in high light. There are several factors that must be considered so we must be patient. The SPR is a great, all around reticle and was designed to be used for close engagements and long engagements. The reticle must be NVG visible for MIL/LE and also visible during high ligh situations. I helped with the design of this optic and have been using it in combat for quite some time and used by several shooters in 3 Gun. I think the fix for the reticle is close and will be kept affordable. Hope this answered yer question.

Leupold is working hard to design an illuminated reticle that is visible in high light. There are several factors that must be considered so we must be patient. The SPR is a great, all around reticle and was designed to be used for close engagements and long engagements. The reticle must be NVG visible for MIL/LE and also visible during high ligh situations. I helped with the design of this optic and have been using it in combat for quite some time and used by several shooters in 3 Gun. I think the fix for the reticle is close and will be kept affordable. Hope this answered yer question.

SGDM.......Is this "affordable fix" your speaking of a way to retro-fit current illuminated reticles, or am I just reading in to your post what I want to ???? That would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Any more news on the Leupold? I am considering one of these as well as the IOR 1.1-4 or maybe the IOR 1.5-8. I would prefer something American made, but the IORs seem like they are well built and have very good features to boot.

Right now I have the simmons 1.5-5 pro diamond. Decent scope. would rather have somethign a little better.

I have been reading negative comments about the Leupold having less light transmission and smaller FOV than the IORs

I am primarily looking at a good scope for 3 gun, but want something durable as well, decent chance I could deploy overseas in the next few years.... Thanks

Alright...there is a new scope in the works. We all sat down and told Leupold what was required and this is what you can expect.

Cost - Less that $3000 American.

1-12 power

Night Vision

When puchased, you will be flown to Oregon and have your "chip" inserted in the frontal lobe.

Not really!

They are working hard to put out what is required and I think it will be out soon.