Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting minor in limited

skeeter

over in the open forum they talked about shooting minor for less recoil. in limited we have even more recoil and less rounds. in my glock 17 with plus 7 base pads i get 25 rounds in the gun. i tried this at a club match last winter, even shoot a 81% classafier. shoot 24 round field course without a reload it was a blast.

jhgtyre:

I have a buddy that shoots a similar combination as skeeter (grams pads = 7 extra rounds of 9mm for a glock 17), and the mags are uspsa legal (the 140mm rule), and no longer than glock 22 mags with grams +5 pads.

I think shooting minor is a good idea if you have good skills in precision but would depend on the stage setup.

We had the experience this year here in france on several matches.

A guy shooting minor (38 super) kicked our asses on two matches where precision was more important than speed, on the two other matches, we kicked his because there was open target at pretty close range and speed was the more important thing.

But if you're able to shoot fast A's all the time, it can be a good idea.

Especially for us , playing with the box rule, a .38 blaster with 20 rounds would be better than a 18 rds .40sw

OTH, i've never heard about a big dog shooting minor !

DVC

Julien

:)

Julian,

my friend and gunsmith is trying to convince me to shoot minor standard.

I managed to get 20 38 Supers in my 40 mags and they looked like they would work.(I get 17 40's)

I'm reluctant especially because none of the big dogs have to my knowledge tried it and because on the hoser stages I have no trouble shooting .13-.14s A's major.

Accuracy stages just seem to take care of themselves.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this,

P.D.

Phil,

I meant if my accuracy was better, i would give a try with a .38 super limited, but ! ! !

I'd rather shoot my .40 for the benefit of the extra points in C's and D's.

I know I know , we are supposed to always call our shots for A's but sometimes .......

DVC

Julien

a lot of the field cources i've seen lately seem to be in the 22 to 25 round count to force the limited shooter into a reload. plus i think that i can get faster splits on 15 yard and longer shots. saves a lot of time.

Skeeter,

24 rds of 9mm in a light and responsive gun is pretty compelling.

I have a G17, I'm just waiting to get an IPSC box, cause I think a 140mm mag will fit.

This would be a great setup for a new shooter too, allowing him to shoot production, or with a trigger job and a long mag ($150) have a pretty competetive Standard gun, for about 25% of the cost of an SV/T

P.D.

been there, done that, I shot a 15 round sig p226 for years before there was a production or limited class, going up against the 10 round open guns of the era. and let me tell you that it fun but it wasn't pretty. having the extra mag capacty was nice, but shooting minor in a game that geared toward major, I found that having the few extra rounds in the gun was not a big advantage. I found that I had to shoot fast, just as fast as the open guns, and shoot A's. Shooting C and D hurt your score to much. and in the end, if you want a good score, you have to shoot every stage perfectly, with no margin for error. in the end I just got a .45.

Phil,

I've never used that exact combo. I started out in 1998 with G19 and those mags. Shooting minor sucks :)

I shoot a Production match in early May, and lost it because I was to careless with the points. I learned my lesson, and will shoot an old G17 in the Nordic Production Championship in two weeks...

I have shot a fair amount of minor in Standard. Phil knows the pistol, STI 38Super 19-20+1 depending on mags.

On two occaisions I did real well, but most of the time I feel that I am not either accurate enough or not fast enough to keep up with the big boys with major. I can,t seem to get both.

In theory, I think that the extra mag capacity and lower recoil should be an advantage. You SHOULD be able to go a bit quicker on the accuracy leaning stages, but failing to shoot A,s on the speed stages will bite you in the butt. So accuracy and speed are the kings with minor.

Should be fun to see Phil shoot production. I bet a few guys in standard will still be watching his heels. Try it after the Worlds Phil. Hopefully you won't get any practice with the Glock in SA.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I started shooting USPSA About two years ago when I finally acquired my first pistol. I bought a used EAA Wtiness in 9mm and found great hi-cap mags and extensions that gave me a capacity of 20 rounds per mag. I had the fortune of local shooter helping me out and hand-me-downs of a safariland 009 and three 771 mag pouches for a Caspian were very appreciative.

Due to school and work (still in college, Texas A&M University), I haven't shot as many matches with this setup as I would like too(but then who shoots as much as they want to) but have done very well I think based on my equipment. When I get to shoot on a regular basis, I find that my scores jump tremndously and I can compete with the big boys in our local clubs shooting minor to their limited race guns. The speed helps alot but accuracy is what will decide if it is worth it. IF i don't but once in a while, I will show up at a match and finish top 1/4 of limited overall (I think by next month I will be getting my A card, took me a while to find classifiers) If I shoot for a while and have some practice, I will place top 2 limited shooting minor. On more than once I have won a match outright over open guns but I think that was more them having a bad day as well.

I am not saying it is for eveybody, but the pure speed that can come out of it for a newbie is probably not a good thing. Most would try to spray and pray and that isn't good, especially for minor scoring.

I have shot a couple of matches with borrowed .40 STI's and Para's and have done even better with a .40 major, but it is doable to run a minor 9mm or super in limited. IT isn't even but with less recoil and more capacity, it almost makes it worth it and it si always fun!

William

A-45421

Texas South Section Area 4