Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Shooting With Stock 1911

Lee Bell

Hope I got the right forum for this question. Long, long ago, I did some IPSC shooting. Back when everybody used 1911 .45s. As I recall, there were no divisions, just major and minor. The rules were stacked against my Beretta 92F. I was disadvantaged by being scored by minor and wasn't allowed to use the pistol's higher capacity to offset the scoring disadvantage. I wasn't very good anyway. I've been away from the sport for a long time and things have changed. I'm interested in getting back into some form of action/combat type shooting and, over the years, have gained some increased respect for 1911 guns, but am a bit confused about what's available for someone with the pistols I now wish to shoot. I understand that hard core competitors tend to select the gun to suit the sport, but I want to start out the other way around.

Here's what I have:

Colt Gold Cup. This is a new series 70 gun. Mine, less than a week old, started a trip back to Colt yesterday. Assuming they do something about the very sloppy slide and broken front sight it came with, I hope to shoot this gun with little or no modification other than smoothing and perhaps lightening the trigger pull. Maybe not even that. If they send me a new one, I'll probably try to work a deal with the gunshop to trade it for something made by a company that actually cares about QA. If they send the original one back, improved to the standards they claim for the Gold Cup, I'll shoot it. If it comes back junk again, I'll send it right back to them again. Regardless, whatever I wind up with will be a production, single stack, SA 1911.

Colt Delta Elite. I've had this gun more than 15 years. It's been fired very little. I only really thought about shooting it in competition when I realized the new Colt was junk. To do so, I need to make some changes. Specifically, I plan on replacing the fixed sights with adjustable ones, changing the current grip safety for an extended beavertail version (the narrow one beats my hand to death), and replacing the trigger with an smoother, crisper one with adjustable overtravel. The gun tight, reliable, fits my hand nicely and I reload 10mm.

OK, so that's what I have. What kind of competition is available to a relative novice like me? IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, PPC, whatever. If it makes a difference, I live just outside of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

I can really speak only about USPSA (USPSA is the US branch of IPSC) but the 1911's can be used in both the Single Stack as well as the Limited-10 divisions. I'm not a single stack rules expert but its basically stock 1911 division. Limited-10 allows more modifications to the pistol and you can use extended mags that hold 10 rounds. I know there's a division for you in IDPA but I'm not familiar with that sport as much.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will chime in with some more info. ;)

Edited by j2fast

Brass costs in 10mm are going to hurt, but the gun might run long loaded 40 brass as slick as it runs 10mm.

The last couple Colt 1911's I bought new were about two years ago. I picked up a pair of Commanders that were tight and right, both of them were fantastic. Too bad you got a poor example, every company makes them occcasionally.

Hello; I am still new to all this stuff as well about a year or so. I shoot my single stack Kimber in IDPA and USPSA. In IDPA I shoot it in CDP class with 8rd magazines. In USPSA I shoot it in single stack and the same 8rd mags. I use the same holster for both Safariland 561 and use Uncle Mikes twin mag holders. I enjoy both and by using the same equipment you can practice alot easier. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

I shoot IDPA with a springfield armory loaded 1911, 7 round mags. Your guns should work just fine and though 8 round mags will help some 7s will only put you behind on some courses of fire. You can shoot in CDP class where most of the folks I've seen also use a 1911 style. Check out http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=FL

I can't speak for the USPSA but I think they have classifications that suit what you have. Best thing to do is pick the gun you like the most, find whatever clubs you can and shoot whatever they do. The initials of the organization matter less than having fun and making loud noises with new found friends.

ciao!

leam

Lee

Every 3 gun match we have here in CC, TX we have a guy who shoots every stage with (only) a Gold Cup in .45. He shoots (sometimes only at :) ) clay birds, steel and steel flashers out to 100+ yards. He has a hell of a good time too. Take your gun and ammo and go everywhere and shoot everything.

The initials of the organization matter less than having fun and making loud noises with new found friends.

leam

Yea! ;)

Unless you were shooting Production years ago I don't know why you couldn't use 15 rounds in your Beretta 92. For Single Stack I would suggest a .45ACP given the curent rules which likely won't change much.

This had to be back when the military made the decision to replace 1911s with 92F pistols. I don't recall different divisions, only that my 9mm would not make major, that the scoring favored those that could, and that I was limited to whatever number of rounds the 1911 shooters had, 8, I think.

I could shoot my 92F, but was disadvantaged in scoring without being allowed to benefit from the weapon's larger capacity. Perhaps it was just where I was, or maybe that's just how it was back then.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to shoot for the fun and love of shooting, as that’s the way it was in the beginning.

Learn how to shoot what you have – not what they have.

I started with a revolver I was doing ok, until the invention of the 8 round magazine, then a lot of us had to learn that word change. And then switch to the semi-automatic pistol – something a lot of us disliked.

Shoot for the enjoyment and learn to shoot one gun that can fit in at most matches; you will do better with one firearm - than switching to different firearms at each event.

One gun – USPSA, PPC, Bowling Pins, IDPA and etc, if you can.

One gun = more modifications for reliability, equipment and reloading costs.

• 4 months later...

I'm just getting started in IPSC this year with a stock Kimber .45. I don't even have a mag well. I did buy 6 10 round mags and another 2 round mag holder. Other than that, it works fine and I'm having fun. I don't have the time to practice enough to be very good, so like some have offered, I shoot what I have and enjoy it.

Your 1911 .45 will go a long ways..you can shoot USPSA single stack, L10 and Limited...

it will be most competitive in single stack and L10..but pulling the trigger is pulling the trigger.

also you would be able to compete in IDPA CDP.

not sure what you shot way back..I started back in the mid 80s, one division and shot a hi power loaded up to 13rnds..got my C-class card shooting minor.

Hi Lee / TLD

I started shooting competitions a couple months before this thread started, and shoot a 17yo series 70 Goldcup, In IDPA, I shoot CDP. In USPSA I shoot L-10. I use a Sarfariland 561 holster and Dillon double mag pouch, I use two of double mag pouches when shooting USPSA. I bought some McCormick 10rnd magazines to use in USPSA, and a "Consealment" vest for IDPA. I bought a $20 range bag from Walmart, and added a Wilson magazine well, and a fiber-optic front sight to the gun. I also put some scateboard tape on the frontstrap and underside of the trigger guard to improve the guns grip. I'm very happy with this setup. I have less than $1000 invested in the entire outfit, and I can shoot in all my clubs matches, and don't feel in any way, under equipped. Two other things I feel have been worth every penny are my Dillon 550b and electronic earmuffs. Like TLD, the time I have to devote to practice is limited, as is my budget for reloading components, so I don't expect to rocket to master class anytime soon, but I just won my first prize at a match. A gift certificate for $100 worth of Montana Gold bullets, that will certainly help, especially since I just blew most of what money I did have saved in my shooting budget to renew my club membership, and join USPSA/IDPA.

Edited by JDBraddy

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just getting started in IPSC this year with a stock Kimber .45. I don't even have a mag well. I did buy 6 10 round mags and another 2 round mag holder. Other than that, it works fine and I'm having fun. I don't have the time to practice enough to be very good, so like some have offered, I shoot what I have and enjoy it.

How do your 10 round mags work in your Kimber??? I just picked five (5) 10 rounders to use in my Kimber Gold Match... BUT, the mag chatch will not ingage the mags inless I REALLY slam the mags into the gun. Some guys @ the range said to just releave the chatch opening (in the mags) with a small file,but, I don't know about that.. i thinking just sending them back to CM... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

How do your 10 round mags work in your Kimber??? I just picked five (5) 10 rounders to use in my Kimber Gold Match... BUT, the mag chatch will not ingage the mags inless I REALLY slam the mags into the gun. Some guys @ the range said to just releave the chatch opening (in the mags) with a small file,but, I don't know about that.. i thinking just sending them back to CM... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Have you got a magwell on your gun? An S&A, maybe?

I had to relieve the opening on mine a bit to get the CM mags to seat. They're all I use in it now.

Try loading them up and leaving them that way for a few days in the gun. I only had one CMC 10 rounder that was that tight but leaving it in the gun resolved the problem for that mag. Some of them were/are much tighter than others but for the most part insert and seat nice and smooth in my Kimbers.

Try loading them up and leaving them that way for a few days in the gun. I only had one CMC 10 rounder that was that tight but leaving it in the gun resolved the problem for that mag. Some of them were/are much tighter than others but for the most part insert and seat nice and smooth in my Kimbers.

Yes, I do have a mag well, but, nothing like that comes on a SV or STI... I checked the fit @ the mag well, no problems there, plenty of room...

I will have to try loading up the mags with rounds to see if that helps..

Thanks for the heads up guys... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I do have a mag well, but, nothing like that comes on a SV or STI... I checked the fit @ the mag well, no problems there, plenty of room...

I will have to try loading up the mags with rounds to see if that helps..

Thanks for the heads up guys... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Finely broke out thee mikes and took somer dim's of the 10 rounders... Let's just something wasn't right with them, called CMC and talked to customer service and they said to 'send em back', they started the trip yesterday... I was real supprised they didn't work, I have used CMC 8 rounders for a long time now and like them... :rolleyes::rolleyes: