Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine management

Steve Anderson

I'm an A-class production shooter diving into open and I have a few dumb questions about magazine management.

I have a 27 round biggie, a 21, a 20, and a bunch of 19s for the caspian.

Do you open vets use the smallest mag that assures enough rounds for the stage requirements?

This would keep the weight down and improve handling, IMO.

Do you load the big stick for every stage that does not require a reload, regardless of round count.

(Example, a 12 round speed shoot... biggie or shorty?)

It seems to me that the stages fall into 3 categories:

1. Big stick stages: Can be shot with the one mag, with an acceptable round count risk. 20-25 shots or so.

2. Reload Stages. 30+ rounds. You gotta reload, so two 19s (if the reload place is convenient) should be fine.

I would load those full for insurance. Start with the biggie?

3. Classifiers. 6, load, 6, load, 6.  Use 3 short mags, downloaded a little. 10-12 rounds.

Would you guys load full mags for a classifier like this? Would anyone start with a big stick for familiarity?

The priciple reason for the question is the fact that the gun handles a little slower (esp. the draw) with a full big stick vs. 10-19 rounds.

Then again, I Dry fire with 20 147 grain dummy rounds in the mag, so It may be wise to duplicate that weight for most draws.

Lotsa questions. Any answers?

SA

Steve:

Any stage requiring 15 rounds or more I use a Big Stick. Plenty of margin for make-up shots. Weight is not an issue for me. I also keep a big stick in the belt to reload to if I have a problem with #1 (I have 4 Big Sticks), as well as two 20-round mags (my normal capacity Caspian mags with EGW bases).

If the course is a long one (>25 rounds), I'll start with the Big Stick, and plan my reload to a normal-capacity magazine. Reloads to the shorter magazines are faster (for me).

For Classifiers and speed shoots involving short strings and and reloads, I'll opt to drop the 20-round mags into the grass/dirt/mud/sand.

DO NOT EVER DOWNLOAD YOUR MAGAZINES! EVER! If you do, I will **guarentee** that you will find yourself in the middle of a field course (the next stage, or one after that) with a partially-filled magazine on your belt when you want a full magazine! I've seen this very, very often, often enough for me to make a rule about it!

The delta-T in the draw is insignificant to the time cost of a reload when you don't want one. Practice the draw with a heavy gun, and you'll neutralize any (percieved or measured) differences in draw speeds.

Hey Steve,

I don't use a big stick that often. If it is 20-25 rds. and the course is tight, meaning there isn't a good place to reload, then I'll use the "biggie". But if you have to take 4 or more steps then I'll use regular mags and reload. I don't think it takes any longer and usually if you're moving more than once it's going to be to many rds for a big stick to handle anyway. I usually figure three rounds for swingers or moving targets and two for each steel, doing that it really shoots up "your" round count for the stage.

As far as downloading mags, I do do that for some classifers and the like. However I also agree with Jeff. One of the first matches I ever shot I started a stage with 8 rounds in my high cap mag. So I have my own rule, never put mags on your belt that aren't ready for a stage. Ex. when picking up mags after a stage or the one you took out of your gun at the "unload and show clear" put those in your pockets or hold them in your hand, I don't put them back on my belt. But when starting a stage ex. 6, load, 6 load, 6. I will download the two mags I'll be reloading to to about 10 or 12 round. I think the lighter weight helps the reload and the unfull mag ensures a positive lock in the gun avoiding the "one round mag fall out thing".

My 2 cents.

Thanks guys. That helps.

Jeff,

I need to buy a bunch of those basepads. I've got a couple, but I need 'em for every 19 rounder to get a good push into the well. I think I will leave one short for prone stages, to get the well on the ground.

Where do you wear that 2nd big stick? If it's an emergency backup, does that mean you'd reload to it normally, or would you wear it a little further back on the belt and reload to a 20 if the #1 biggie works OK?

One more: Are the caspian 10 rounders the same length as the 19  rounders? Thinking those might be good for classifiers?

SA

SA

I tend to use the big stick a lot..I have three..one holds 29, one 27 and one 25..my thinking . is if I don't have too..it is one less thing( a reload) to have to manage in a COF and one less thing to screw up..so if the course is 18 or so rounds I will use a big stick...if its a 12 round classifier or mandatory reloads I will use my 140mm mags..

anyway..I find I need to practice my reloads more..to stay proficient..cuz I don't have to as much anymore..

I tend to mostly start with a 170 and reload to a 140. On courses that require only about 16 rounds before the reload, I'll start with a 140. In theory, I don't like reloading to a 170 and I don't like carrying a 170 in my first pouch, but I almost never notice either when I'm competing.

For classifiers and speed shoots it's 140 all the way, full or downloaded less one depending on my mood. But if there are a bunch of reloads or I'm lazy and haven't loaded all my 140 I'll start with a 170.

Steve,

The first thing I would do is get rid of your big stick, you dont' need it!   I'll graciously take it off your hands for free :)     There's not many of us Caspian shooters left!!  

Actually, it depends on your confidence and the stage.  I will occasionally use the big stick with only 1 round to spare if it means not having to do a static reload (bad stage design, but I see it).  

I would generally agree, use the smallest mag that gives you the margin of comfort (unless it's lots of steel, 3 rds. extra should be plenty).  

I'd prefer to reload with mags of a consistant length (140mm).  If I had a second 170mm stick, I'd normally run it as a back-up, in the back of the belt.  

There are stages that it might be a good idea to start off with a lower capacity mag, then load in the big stick to finish the course.

If I know I am going to drop a mag on the ground...and I have a choice...I will try to drop a mag that is less expensive, or one that I depend on less.

In a Steel Challenge match, with five shots per run, I'll load the mags with around 10 rounds.  If I need more than 10...that is a blown run anyway.  This just feels to me like it makes the mags a bit more reliable.  Less work and wear on the springs. (fresh mag for each string)  Plus, for those that load mags out of ammo boxes...it is easier to count rows of ten (while people are talking to you).

On classifiers, know if down loading your mags will make a difference on your reloads.  I shoot a few 8 round only matches...shooters down loading their big sticks sometimes have trouble when they toss those mags around at high speed for a reload.  Sometimes they don't have enough spring tension in the mags to keep the bullets tight.  Quick reloads result in bullets on the ground, not in the tube.

hi steve,

good questions.

i like to use my 170mm as much as possible (because it works).  if there is a stage that requires lots of movement it really doesn't matter.

one more piece of advice.  i carry (4) mags at a minimum.

good luck,

lynn jones

Last year, big matches, I reloaded with the big stick, because of stage design, at least 10 times. It was way out of the ordinary. If the stage is between 18 and 28 rounds I start using a big stick. I try not to drop my big stick since there are usually 2 guys with size 10's running after me. :)

Hi Steve,

I thought I'd throw in my .02.  If the stage is 18 rounds plus, I start with the big stick (maybe downloaded a bit.)  I don't like reloading into my big stick if avoidable (sometimes it's not.)  If the stage is a speedshoot with reloads, I usually load double the number of required rounds in the mag.  I empty my mags between stages (unless they are topped off) to hopefully avoid running dry unintentionally on the next stage.  If the stage is set up such that a big stick is not going to be utilized I don't even have it on my belt; I'm with Bill, I don't need it getting stomped if it falls to the ground.

I generally start out with my big stick 28, unless it is a standards with reloads, I have 140's with Dawson +3's for those and I only load 19, easy to reolad and easy to clean. I carry 4 spare mags ALWAYS. You never know when something funky will happen, and it is better safe than sorry. I don't think that a big stick is neccesary really, my 140's hold 24, but I leave to leave 6 rounds in the mag when I drop them always. That way, I never have to worry about extra shots messing up my reload strategy. That's my 2 cents worth.