Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Or M&p9

pevadijk

I want to start shooting IPSC Production next year and I've narrowed my choice of pistols, down to a Glock 17 or a S&W M&P9.

What pistols do you prefer and why??

I do like the simplicity of the Glock but I think the M&P is cooler although I haven't handled one yet (theye're still a bit scarce here in Europe).

There are some rumors about 4th gen Glocks, so I guess I'm waiting for the ShotShow (which is early anyway), just to be sure.........

Edited by pevadijk

I want to start shooting IPSC Production next year and I've narrowed my choice of pistols, down to a Glock 17 or a S&W M&P9.

What pistols do you prefer and why??

I do like the simplicity of the Glock but I think the M&P is cooler although I haven't handled one yet (theye're still a bit scarce here in Europe).

There are some rumors about 4th gen Glocks, so I guess I'm waiting for the ShotShow (which is early anyway), just to be sure.........

There's a pretty big difference in feel, I'd highly suggest that you find some way to try before you buy. Also, "cooler" doesn't really tell us what you're looking for in a gun. ;-)

H.

I shoot Glocks, but after feeling a friend of mines new M&P, I was quite impressed! Please try and shoot them both before buying...the only thing that I would say is that Glocks are proven over the years, the M&P is still a pretty new gun.

Ah, and there are hundreds of accessories for the G17, whereas, at least for right now, finding stuff for the M&P will be met with more difficulty.

Talked with a Glock rep at the Orlando SWAT roundup and he said rumors of the new Glock are just that "internet rumors". They have done some experementing but nothing ready for market any time soon.

Of course the SHOT show is in 2 months and that is where it will come out if it does exist.

Also, "cooler" doesn't really tell us what you're looking for in a gun. ;-)

I'm going to use it for serious shooting and I shoot a Glock very well, but the M&P is so damn pretty.

But.....I do have a decent collection of Glock 'go faster' parts from the Glocks that I have owned (17 and 26)........so buying a new Glock is the cheapest option.

I used to have a glock 34 (9mm). I traded it for a hunting rifle since it was a no brainer trade. I still like glocks. I am left handed and looked at the m&p at the store. I could not drop the slide with the ambi slide lock, neither could the guy behind the counter. I inserted a mag and the thing fell apart. the spring and mag base pad came off. I told the guy I was done looking at it. I liked the feel, but I would first get a glock. they are more reliable and have many aftermarket parts for it. The m&p is unproven.

Redwoods

I inserted a mag and the thing fell apart. the spring and mag base pad came off. I told the guy I was done looking at it. I liked the feel, but I would first get a glock. they are more reliable and have many aftermarket parts for it. The m&p is unproven.

Redwoods

Well I guess this will be my first post on the forum, here goes!

I own many Glock handguns and they are fantastic, reliable, simple in design and tough as nails. I wouldn't assume that because a magazine fell apart (which I must say is very odd) would catagorize the M&P as less reliable (more and more PDs are switching to them). I own two M&P handguns, and from what I have witnessed firsthand, and have seen secondhand, the M&P is proving that it is a very reliable handgun. The magazines are very well made and in my own experiences, have been free from defect. In my hands the M&P fits like a glove, and is more accurate than any of my Glocks (on par with my Sigs) Not to mention the trigger, smoother, as compared to Glock IMHO

Every shooter on Earth should own a Glock 9mm.

I do. I use it to open beer bottles. :lol::lol::lol:

PS There are more toys for a Glock and frankly its probably the most popular handgun of the last decade. Its not for me because I am a 1911 person. I like the M&P.

Yeck! :P

Ah, and there are hundreds of accessories for the G17, whereas, at least for right now, finding stuff for the M&P will be met with more difficulty

It took a good 10+ years before there were a hundred after-market accessories for the Glock. Don't buy an M&P expecting a cornacopia of new toys to unfold before your eyes!

.....I do have a decent collection of Glock 'go faster' parts

Bet you don't have the "Glocks go faster PAINT JOB" ......... Well, I do! B)

I haven't fired a M&P yet, but I was able to handle one at a local dealer last night after a match. The grip feels great. The interchangeable back straps are cool and easy to change. I also liked the beavertail. The NPA seemed to be higher than a Glock. It would not dry fire without the mag in the gun so if you pull the slide back too far then of course you go to slide lock and I found the slide release difficult to operate. The trigger did not break as clean as a stock Glock that was in the case next to the M&P. There was a lot of pre-travel in the trigger and the reset looked to be about 3/8 of an inch. There may be fixes for the trigger, I don't know. Then again some may like it stock. I don't like or shoot stock Glock triggers, but I prefer them to the M&P I handled last night.