Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two String Stage And Fte

Micah

If I had a stage diagram, I would post it...but I don't so I will do my best to explain the stage.

Pistol is loaded and placed on either side A or B of a table. For string one, upon the start signal, the shooter retrieves the pistol and engages T1-T12 with ONE round each. String two is the same, however the pistol is placed on the opposite side of the table.

The shooter (Production) on the first string engages all targets, but slide locks on T1, shooting no rounds at it. String two, the shooter engages T1 with 2 rounds, and proceeds to engage the rest with one.

What is the official ruling? Clearly the asshat shooter (okay...it was me :P ) shot the strings this way to avoid having to reload on both strings.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Need to see the writeup for sure...

US9.4.5.3 Stacked shots (i.e. shooting more than the required rounds

on a target, but shooting at fewer targets than specified in

any string), will incur one procedural penalty per target not

engaged in any string. This penalty will not be applied if the

written stage briefing specifically authorizes stacked shots.

I KNEW that I would leave out some important info :D

The stage was suprisingly Comstock.

And I think that it bears repeating that the RO that ran me is one of the most knowledgable in the game...I just had a deep curiosity for what others thought.

How'd the stage description read? If it said anything like: "String 1: Engage T1-12 with ....." you'd need to get a procedural for not engaging a target......

Nik, the stage description said just that. I certainly don't disagree with that call, I just want to be able to quantify it in the rulebook.

It's an illegal stage. More than 9 shots from one position. Even if it's a level 1 match, if stage designers are going to violet the rule book like that then you should be able to shoot it the best way you can. That's why they call it "Freestyle".

The NRA had one similar several months ago. 5 targets/2 on each; mandatory reload and 4 poppers through a barrel.

Shooting single stack, 2 on each of the first 3 targets and one on each of the next two; reloaded, shot the 4 poppers through the barrel and came out of the barrel and engaged the last two targets with one round each. Same cr@p. Two procedurals on an illegal stage.

It's an illegal stage. More than 9 shots from one position. Even if it's a level 1 match, if stage designers are going to violet the rule book like that then you should be able to shoot it the best way you can. That's why they call it "Freestyle".

The NRA had one similar several months ago. 5 targets/2 on each; mandatory reload and 4 poppers through a barrel.

Shooting single stack, 2 on each of the first 3 targets and one on each of the next two; reloaded, shot the 4 poppers through the barrel and came out of the barrel and engaged the last two targets with one round each. Same cr@p. Two procedurals on an illegal stage.

It had 3 ports or positions. String 1. Engage T1-T12 with one rd each. You had to move around a table to 3 ports to see all targets.

Not illegal and ONE FTE

It had 3 ports or positions. String 1. Engage T1-T12 with one rd each. You had to move around a table to 3 ports to see all targets.

Not illegal and ONE FTE

I'm pretty sure that if you assess the FTE than you have to assess the miss - because that means that you're treating each string as a separate stage (which is the proper way to do strings) but if you didn't score and tape between strings, than you have no grounds for assessing any penalties - it's freestyle babeee :o

Not illegal and ONE FTE

I'm pretty sure that if you assess the FTE than you have to assess the miss - because that means that you're treating each string as a separate stage (which is the proper way to do strings) but if you didn't score and tape between strings, than you have no grounds for assessing any penalties - it's freestyle babeee :o

Kath

12 rds. He shot Production 10 + 1 and the target was 4-5 feet away.

But even if its 50 yards away and you don't shoot at a target with at least 1 rd, its a FTE. Freestyle or no style. ;)

Not illegal and ONE FTE

Kath

But even if its 50 yards away and you don't shoot at a target with at least 1 rd, its a FTE. Freestyle or no style. ;)

Two holes in the target - ya ain't gonna convince me noway nohow that it wasn't engaged. At best, you could maybe assess 1 procedural for failing to follow the course description, but that target was engaged - capiche unca?

Not illegal and ONE FTE

Kath

Two holes in the target - ya ain't gonna convince me noway nohow that it wasn't engaged. At best, you could maybe assess 1 procedural for failing to follow the course description, but that target was engaged - capiche unca?

Yes I see your point( I have argued thispoint with many a RO, I personally don't like FTE as a penalty ) but try arguing with a CRO at a major. They will give you a FTE.

PS How to you rule on 11 shots?

Edited by BSeevers

Not illegal and ONE FTE

It is illegal.

US6.1.1 String - A separately timed component of a Standard Exercise.

6.1.2 Standard exercises must only be scored using Virginia Count or Fixed Time.

1.2.2.1 Standard Exercises must not require more than 24 rounds to complete.

Component Strings must not require more than 6 rounds (12 rounds IF a mandatory reload is specified).

Edited by Scout454

Not illegal and ONE FTE

It is illegal.

6.1.2 Standard exercises must only be scored using Virginia Count or Fixed Time.

Component Strings must not require more than 6 rounds (12 rounds IF a mandatory reload is specified).

My not illegal comment was referring to the "9 shots" It had required movement and multiple ports. It was not a 12 rd stand and shoot at all you could only see 6 targets at a time

Edited by BSeevers

Not illegal and ONE FTE

It is illegal.

My not illegal comment was referring to the "9 shots" It had required movement and multiple ports.

My point was that the stage was illegal.

Yep, illegal even in light of the Level 1 Exception granted under US1.1.5.1 --

Level 1 matches are not required to comply strictly with the freestyle requirements or round count limitations.

I was taught, and have verified, with Mr. Amidon, that the Level 1 Exeption on round count applies to the total round count of the stage (above 32 rounds on a long course, for example), not the round count per component string or position. If we allowed that as an exception, the L10 and Production shooters would be in for a major screwing at many matches.

Even so, it sounds like a fun CoF.

Edited by ima45dv8

Not illegal and ONE FTE

It is illegal.

My not illegal comment was referring to the "9 shots" It had required movement and multiple ports.

My point was that the stage was illegal.

In post #18 you refer to the strings being illegal, which they should have been scored between strings and that was a second point brought out later in the discussion by Kath. Yes they should be scored on every string but he shot 11 rds and I have just a little common sense. Could you argue using the rules? yes. Would I? Absolutely not.

My reply(post #11) that we are referring to in the above quotes was to post #10 which you stated that more than 9 rds from one position was illegal. It is but as I said the stage didn't require that, so in that instance it wasn't illegal.

Edited by BSeevers

Yep, illegal even in light of the Level 1 Exception granted under US1.1.5.1 --

Level 1 matches are not required to comply strictly with the freestyle requirements or round count limitations.

If we allowed that as an exception, the L10 and Production shooters would be in for a major screwing at many matches.

Hell! That's why shooting Production is so great...you're sure to get screwed :lol: