Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

07 Points Series

Tom Mainus

I thought that this would be the last year for the points series, but looking at the match calendar on the USPSA website, they are still listing matches for the PS for next year. Is this just an administrative thing that has been overlooked, or are they going to try it again next year?

Tom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that this would be the last year for the points series, but looking at the match calendar on the USPSA website, they are still listing matches for the PS for next year. Is this just an administrative thing that has been overlooked, or are they going to try it again next year?

Tom

When you list a match, it has a blank for Point Series status. Because of the lead time needed to set up a major match, we put "point series" on our match because we have not heard officially that it is gone. I can edit it out when we know for sure.

The same is true for applications. Because of the lead time required for ads - applications in Front Sight, most applications will still say point series in early 2007.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Stats at several matches :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Okay, what's the story now?

If there is to be any kind of an announcement I should think it would have to come pretty soon.

Are we having the thing or not?

If so, are there rules/format changes or is it to be generally the same as last year?

Personally, I can't see doing it again without some form of an overhaul.

Tony

Tony- I haven't heard anything either. What problems do you think need to be overhauled? I have yet to enter, but was planning on it for 2007. I am curious to know the problems you have witnessed.

One suggestion I would have is to use more than 4 match results.

Tony- I haven't heard anything either. What problems do you think need to be overhauled? I have yet to enter, but was planning on it for 2007. I am curious to know the problems you have witnessed.

One suggestion I would have is to use more than 4 match results.

IMHO, There are a few basic flaws that need to be addressed.

I shot Lim10 last year and decided I would stick with it all season so I could do the series.

The thing I found most objectionable was never knowing for sure if a match was in or out.

Just because it is listed as a "Point Series" match is no guarantee that it will be.

Some matches jump in and out from one year to the next with little or no notice.

It makes it impossible to plan your match schedule around the series participation requirements.

In one case, I entered a sectional which was advertised as a Point Series match.

I subsequently had a conversaton with the MD and was told they had decided not to be in the series after all.

Based on that information, I decided to shoot in a different division.

Much to my surprise, that match later showed up in the point series standings anyway.

I could have used those points but because I switched, they didn't apply to the division where I really needed them.

Another issue is scores that are artificially inflated because of smaller sectionals with little or no participation by anyone above B or C classification.

I'm going to have to see this addressed before I bother with it again.

BTW, Rocket ..... that is a really nice looking blaster in your avatar :wub:

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Just because it is listed as a "Point Series" match is no guarantee that it will be.

Some matches jump in and out from one year to the next with little or no notice.

It makes it impossible to plan your match schedule around the series participation requirements.

In one case, I entered a sectional which was advertised as a Point Series match.

I subsequently had a conversaton with the MD and was told they had decided not to be in the series after all.

Based on that information, I decided to shoot in a different division.

Much to my surprise, that match later showed up in the point series standings anyway.

I could have used those points but because I switched, they didn't apply to the division where I really needed them.

Tls

That would be frustrating. <_<

I am sure it would be difficult for USPSA to regulate that though. Likewise with the low amount of upper class competitors. I wonder what, if anything, will be done to straighten that out.

USPSA may require that "X" amount of GM/M class shooters be present for it to qualify as a Point Series match. Or that only Area and Level III matches will qualify, dropping sectional and the "other" matches. That may reduce the amount of participation as well though. As some competitors may find it difficult to attend a suffiscient amount of those level matches. Traveling to the bigger matches is kinda what the Point Series is all about. Maybe I am off base here, just my opinion.

Thanks about the blaster- I just got it and love it! :)

I just looked at the point series results this morning and the Nationals are included. I didn't think they were PS matches???? What is the deal?

Tim

That has been updated in the last day or 2. It's not even in the 2006 policy's and they decide to count it now?? I know people that didn't go to nationals and are now not winning their class in the series. You can't just up and decide to count the nationals. <_<

Minutes of a recent on-line board meeting posted in the members area show that the point series has been discontinued due to lack of participation.

That really is too bad. I was looking forward to participating next season.

WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT ??? IF I HAD KNOWN THAT I MIGHT HAVE GONE TO NATIONALS! YOU CAN'T JUST GO AND CHANGE THINGS AT THE END OF THE SEASON WITHOUT MAKING IT CLEAR TO EVERYONE .............. AHEAD OF TIME.

WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL @#$% !

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I just looked at the point series results this morning and the Nationals are included. I didn't think they were PS matches???? What is the deal?

Tim

That has been updated in the last day or 2. It's not even in the 2006 policy's and they decide to count it now?? I know people that didn't go to nationals and are now not winning their class in the series. You can't just up and decide to count the nationals. <_<

Maybe it's just a mistake? I totally would have gone to the nats or would not have done the PS. I made my match schedule with the 2006 policies in mind. Somebody tell me it is a mistake!!!!

TC

I'll take it. :ph34r:

Kind of makes up for the 3 matches I shot that were supposed to be in but weren't.

Tls

I think it really has to be a mistake. I can't see how you publish the 2006 policies and then change them in December. I'm sure it was just a computer glitch or something. In fact I would say that the published policy is a contract between the USPSA and the members that participated in the PS.

Everybody complained about NOT including Nationals but once you announce the policy, leave it alone.

WHAT A JOKE ......... I take back what I said about my desire to participate in the future. :angry:

It is truly DEAD to me.

I am looking into this, and will have an answer from Sedro by the end of Monday.

I am not aware of any action to change policy on the Nationals - it is possible that a mistake was made by someone at HQ assuming the nationals were included. If a mistake has been made, it will be corrected - that's what posting periods are for.

I will post an answer in this thread when I have the answer.

Yes ... Thanks Rob. Seriously.

Sorry to get so HOT under the collar before, but ...... I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. It is wrong to do such a thing as this. Plain and simple.

Either Sedro admits this was a simple "computer glitch", or they have A LOT OF IRRATE MEMBERS.

Keep up the good work AD's. I should have thought to email Gary when I read this. My fault. :)

I received an answer from HQ:

Someone at USPSA was asked why the nationals were not included in the point series results and mistakenly assumed that their non-inclusion was a clerical oversight - and then proceeded to use the administrative features of the results system to set the point series flags on the nationals. This was a mistake - plain and simple, not a change in policy. This has been fixed on the web and the nightly re-scan of results will not include the nationals in the point series results.

Mistakes can happen. I just wish they were all this easy to correct.

Thanks for all the work put into this. Sadly it has been unsuccessful.

The problem i see with the point series is that it requires attendance at ONE huge match. which could win you the point series.

Secondly we get NOTHING for it. i think winner in production got a plaque and a $150 or something (that was high overall) we need to get some sponsors specifically BEHIND that one thing to make it succeede.

also make it a real series.. name 4 or 5 matches, like nascar does. no ONE nationals. and point series champion IS THE national champ.

That has been updated in the last day or 2. It's not even in the 2006 policy's and they decide to count it now?? I know people that didn't go to nationals and are now not winning their class in the series. You can't just up and decide to count the nationals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Nationals still isn't counting in production as i have seen it just now? It was never removed to my knowlege.