Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load For Bedell Shorty

tomgallup

I am in the process of getting a Bedell Open Shorty in 9mm major built, in prepping for the gun to arrive in the next month or so, i wanted to start preparing some ammo to have to test with when the gun arrives. Does anyone have a recommended load that works well in the Shorty Bedell's? Thank you in advance for any help

Tom

Edited by tomgallup

Talk to Dan he will give the load data he recommend, you cant really load to much until you test it in that gun.....you need to chrono each load and analyze the result...and somebody else load might be as good starting point then again....

I shoot Dan shorty in 38SC

Edited by dansy

I don't shoot 9 in a shorty, but in my full-length open gun, 7.8gr of Silhouette under a 124gr Montana Gold JHP (or 125gr Zero JHP) works really well. Lot softer than similar loads with 115gr bullets, and still plenty of gas to work the comp.

As always, work up and be extra-vigilant for over-pressure signs... ymmv, void where prohibited by law, yada-yada.

ETA: loaded to 1.160" OAL

Edited by bgary

I currenty use and like 8.2 to 8.7gr. HS-6 with a 125gr. Zero JHP @ 1.16" and WSR primers in my Bedell shorty "with blowholes".

Watch and chrono each batch of HS-6, as I had to go way up in charge the last couple of lots and I am sure it could go either way? Mixed brass will bite you occasionally if your not carefull with it.

Also really like 8.0-8.2gr. 3N37 softer and more gas than HS6, although the blast hits me in the face more than HS-6 due to shorty with popple holes.

Watch out for pressure with Silhouette and True Blue in the shorty, Power pistol was just to dirty and inconsistant.

Thanks everybody, i will have to see if i can find some 3n37 here in Maryland, i would like to try some before i buy it and pay the hazmat fees for more.

This is my first open gun, so i haven't pleyed with this type of load before. Thanks again for all the help

The two loads that I have found to be very similar at

124 gr zero or MG JHP

7.8-8.1gr of 3n37

WSP loaded to 1.17 oal

124 gr zero or MG JHP

7.6-8.0 of Ramshot Silhouette

WSP loaded to 1.17

Start low and work the load up. To my perception there is very little difference (if any) between these two loads in my gun. The 3n37 is easy to load with some care as far as powder spillage but the Silhouette is a little denser allowing you to load a little faster without worrying about powder spillage.

Good luck, you are gonna be very happy.

i will have to see if i can find some 3n37 here in Maryland

Good luck. :lol::lol: Shoot me a PM and let me know where you are. I have a lot of loads laying around for 9major. There are a couple of other guys on the forum who shoot locally and use 9mm for open as well. Let me know if you need any help.

Kirk

Edited by .40AET

I have one of Dans major 9 shortys. Love it !!!! I would do it the same way again.

Here are some powders that I like and in order

1 SP-2 :D

2 Silhouette

3 3N-38

4 3N-37

5 True Blue

6 Power Pistol

I hope this helps, and I am still using SP-2

8.0 grains of HS6 made 180 power factor in my gun with 124 MG JHP at 1.165

7.7 grains of HS6 made 173 power factor...same gun, same bullets same OAL

I want to try some 115s with HS6 cuz they really shot great with 124s and its supposed to be softer with the heavier powder charge and a lighter bullet.

recently ive been using 3n37 with 124 MG JHP and 124 Precision Delta FMJ bullets

7.5 grains with the 124 MG JHP at 1.165 OAL gets 171.8 power factor and really shoots good.

it takes .1 less with the prescision deltas at the same lenght. Both are tack drivers and super clean.

these loads are not for a shorty..but a 5inch STI trubor w/ brazos comp.

If i were loading for a shorty...or having a shorty built..it would be w/o barrel ports and i would use a slower powder like 3n38 or the rare SP2.

• 5 months later...