Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli V. Rem Managed Recoil Slugs

Les Snyder

Help...I know this is an old topic, and I read thru Eric Warren's compilation of previous posts, but Ft. Benning is a month away and I find my M1S90 21inch field gun with a Briley Light Modified extended choke doesn't group Remington managed recoil slugs as well I would like... it shoots Federal full house loads into 4 - 5 inches at 75yards....I'm running out of R and D time, and I would appreciate any help or comments as to which reduced recoil slug you would recommend... regards Les

FWIW, I just switched from an 1100 to a M2.

The 1100 likes Federal tactical slugs - 2-3" at 50 yards with either an IC or a Modified Carlson Choke.

The M2 would put 3 Feds into 3" at 50 yds with a factory Modified choke.

However, I was given a box of Fiocci LE slugs at the TriGun. If you can find them, they will cloverleaf (3 shots touching) at 50 yards with the IC.

I shot those LE slug last night thru my 590 mossberg.....VERY STINKING accurate. I need more. I have heard they are hard to get a hold of, however you can get a 3/4" oz reduced recoil slug from Fiocchi, I understand as well........I need to get some of those......so I will ask again......where are some INET site's I can order them from???

I like them better than the Remingtons, which all shoot very well out of my 590, they just seem to have less recoil.

I use an extended Ruger modified choke ( or is it skeet 1???) from the red label, which I believe is made by Briely.

Tim

trapr, scout, trubl... thanks for the quick reply...KurtM's recommendation for the LM choke was excellent so was trying to stay with it ( I added a drop of blue loctite )... I have a 10-22 sight milled into the rib with a small fiber optic front....I just wasn't getting any kind of groups with the managed recoil stuff.... the full house Federals printed under 5 inches at 75yds.....I bought a case of the Remington slugs, so will work on it a little more this weekend... I'm looking for style points at Ft. Benning... thanks Les

Well, kurt really likes his LM choke.........in greece every time benelli2 and i would ask him what choke he was going to use, his reply was "hmmmm, i think i'll use LM"

of course that was his only choke :lol::lol: he does get good groups with it, but again try other chokes and see what your gun likes.

style points or not, accuracy is what counts, just look at Kurts old iron rifle, and you'll see there is very little good style in it :lol::P ..............but he can shoot it.

trapr

The Federal low recoil slugs group the best of any slug in my Remmy with a modified choke. Federal make two types of low recoil slug, a white box version that is called Low Recoil Tactical and another with a semi-camo hunting oriented packaging look on the box that shoots as well as the T word ones but can be found at more stores. The hunting type ones have a slightly different nose shape on the slug and chrono just over 1300fps versus 1270ish for the Tactical ones. Ammoman.com usually has the Federal Tactical ones by the case (250) for under $170.

I just tried the reduced recoil Speer Lawman Slugs #57805 thru my M1 Tac and had similar groups as posted here ... touching @ 25 and 3" @ 50 with very well centered groups of punkin holes...... I believe they are the exact same as the Federal LE Tactical silver boxes. Bought a 10 box sleeve for $15 @ my local LE equipment store. They ran 100% ......... I run a Light Modified choke for all of my shooting from hunting to 3G. Deer season is right around the corner. HHjr

I just tried the reduced recoil Speer Lawman Slugs #57805 thru my M1 Tac... Bought a 10 box sleeve for $15 @ my local LE equipment store.

Shirley, you must be joking...$15 for 50 rounds? That's less than half what I can get Remmy RR for and I buy caselots at wholesale. :o

I'd buy slugs by the truckload at that price.

Edited by EricW

Fraid so Eric .....That trip I got a carton (10 five round boxes) of the Speer Lawman slugs and a dozen Surefire 123 batteries for $41.34 with tax .............. Slugs were $1.50 per box/$15 per sleeve and the batteries were $2/ea ............... maybe I better get some more eh !? Harold H.

I've been using a LM choke in my SX2 since I bought it (and found out is wasn't an Invector plus !!!!) I used LM in sporting clays and 16 yard line trap for years also.

I have to think it's the best all around choke and I shoot Rem and CCI (Federal) low recoil slugs through the SX2 with good results....

Lengthening the forcing cone helps too...

Mick

A27257

• 2 weeks later...

I had great accuracy with the Federal Low Velocity slugs. Red box I think. That said, I'm going to run Remington Reduced Recoil at Benning. In my 1100 they were within 5" at 50 yards and that's good enough (since it was with a peep and FO sight). I've got a JPoint on the M2 now (thanks Kurt for the info) so I'll be much more comfortable come game time!

Rich