Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti In California

Personally I don't think this is an appropriate question for these forums. That being said, the "going rate" is whatever people are willing to pay. After all, there are options (Bar-Sto and SV pistols are quick to my mind if I was in the market to build a gun).

Rich

Ya know...there are those of us that feel the same way about living in Washington

Wasn't a dig on California (at least, not intentionally). I lived in California most of my life, and there are still things I love about the state. I just decided about 12 years ago I didn't want to live there anymore. Where I lived (Orange County) there were too many people, too much smog, and nowadays too many of the things in my safe would not be allowed to live there with me.

More to the point, my post was a gentle (?) reminder that there *are* folks out there trolling, trying to find gun-owners who might be ripe for a bent rule here and there, followed by a high-visibility arrest. I remember when I lived in CA there was a DOJ team who rented *tables* at gun-shows, offering for sale things that couldn't then be legally purchased in California (such as an SKS with a detachable 20-round mag, if I recall correctly), *specifically* so that they could arrest people dumb enough to do the deal.

It simply occurred to me that a post from an unknown person, asking (arguably) "how much do I have to pay for a private-party transaction for an STI in California, since [they aren't on the approved list and so] I can't get one thru a dealer?" *could* fit that profile.

Bruce (hey, was that a black helicopter?)

Ya know...there are those of us that feel the same way about living in Washington

Wasn't a dig on California (at least, not intentionally). I lived in California most of my life, and there are still things I love about the state. I just decided about 12 years ago I didn't want to live there anymore. Where I lived (Orange County) there were too many people, too much smog, and nowadays too many of the things in my safe would not be allowed to live there with me.

More to the point, my post was a gentle (?) reminder that there *are* folks out there trolling, trying to find gun-owners who might be ripe for a bent rule here and there, followed by a high-visibility arrest. I remember when I lived in CA there was a DOJ team who rented *tables* at gun-shows, offering for sale things that couldn't then be legally purchased in California (such as an SKS with a detachable 20-round mag, if I recall correctly), *specifically* so that they could arrest people dumb enough to do the deal.

It simply occurred to me that a post from an unknown person, asking (arguably) "how much do I have to pay for a private-party transaction for an STI in California, since [they aren't on the approved list and so] I can't get one thru a dealer?" *could* fit that profile.

Bruce (hey, was that a black helicopter?)

You also left out, someone with 5 posts and 3 of them are on this thread.

The guy had a legitimate question. We delt with it off the board.

I appreciate the concern in making sure that someone doesnt get into trouble. True Im a Newb on the boards, but.... there is nothing illegal about asking a question.

Without questions there would be no answers.

Oh and I lived in Washington too! Loved it but I met my wife in California. :D

Edited by LyleE

Lyle,

Welcome to the forums. Please don't be put off by all this. Your post happend to come up when there was another post active on gun show stings and stuff. Unfortunate timing, IMHO.

I too live in Ca, and I like it damn it. I just shot 15 stages for over 400 rounds this weekend wearing t-shirts and shorts and was neither hot or cold or wet. There are not very many places where you can do that in late October!

Welcome!

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I love CA. I was just back in Idaho this past weekend and it was 45. I love the seasonal changes but......

I hear you Chuck! Put 3000 through rounds this last week couldnt do that in Idaho at least without freezing to death.

Ca has its pros and cons. One of which is our gun laws.

Edited by LyleE

Admin note:

Guns and such in Cali which may or may not be legal:

Since this has come up a bit lately and members and moderators are wondering how to deal with it.

Basically, info on 100% legal stuff...cool.

Info on illegal stuff..not cool.

"How to's" on getting around the letter of the law...needs to go off the forum.

(I run this by BE for further clarity. If he'd like a different direction on this forum we'll get that posted here.)

----------------

Lyle, welcome to the forum...you just asked a question at a tricky time. No worries.

Sorry everyone didnt mean to stir the pot.

Your post looks different to different people, depending on their point of view. I was hoping to gain some insight from the answers to your question as well. I am in Ca. and have started looking for a double stack full size gun for myself to use shooting steel. The only one (that I have found) of that style (S_I Looking) that is legal to purchase NEW in this state is the BarSto. That being said though, a person CAN buy any used gun in the state (as long as it isn't full auto, have hicap mags with it, and not an ASSault weapon) through a private party transfer. Once the gun, and a new waiting to be built frame counts as a gun, is already legally here and registered within the state you are fine to buy it from a private party.

The question that started this is one that I have been askng locally to see if I wanted to wait until a frame of the aforementioned types came up for sale.... or buy Barsto.

Just my $.02...

Dave

Edited by Dave Wilson

Sorry for any harsh overtones. Just don't want anything or anyone to get BE in any trouble. That said, I've done ALL the homework with CA-DOJ and know the policies pretty well inside and out.

If y'all have questions, feel free to PM me.

Rich

The only one (that I have found) of that style (S_I Looking) that is legal to purchase NEW in this state is the BarSto.
I keep on reading that Barsto is the only option for S_I type guns in Kalifornia.

Don't forget SVI.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns.asp

Look under Strayer Voigt. They come with the removeable breechface. So all you need is a new barrel and a .40 breechface and installation and you got a competitive Limited/L10 gun.

Assuming of course that it works out the box. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
How much are people getting over MSRP for a new STi frame in CA? I know you cant buy them from a dealer only private party.

I can tell you what they are NOT getting for some of them. Somebody on another board offered a "slightly used" (Cough!) STI wide body gun of model that I don't recall a while back..... "slightly used" was about 10k rounds shot in competition. The asking price was about $200 above what dawson listed the new gun for.

When I made an offer for an amount somewhat less, I was assaulted and pummeled by the forum locals and lectured about how such guns were made of "unobtainium" which meant they were worth a lot more in kali.

Apparrently not, as there were ZERO offers made on the gun besides mine.

I have been looking into this as well. Moreso recently. Here's what I have found and talked with the CA DOJ about.

First, I'm military and a non-PRK resident. Because of this I can import an S_I into the state. I can import however many S_I's into the state as I want. I can have the high capacity magazines IF 1. they were shipped to CA with my personal belongings directly to the base. 2. Once on the base the high caps do not leave the base. So, I can have the gun but not the fun.

Second, when I get out of the military, if I am still in the state of CA, I must register them on a new resident handgun ownership form. All of them can be done on one form. I do not have to be out of the military to do this. As soon as I become a resident of the state it is required. If I loose my license, and am forced to get a CA license and in turn become a resident, then I must register them. They are now in the system as being mine and hunkey dorey in CA.

Third, if I do not want said S_I anymore, and the above has been complied with, it is within my judgement to sell said pistol via party to party to another CA resident.

For you military folks, this is entirely possible. Call the DOJ and talk with them. They will give you everything in writing, or tell you where it is written, that you can be legal.

Now if the Navy paid more, I'd be in there like swimwear.

Joe

Rich,

Well that's good info to know. The selling the pistol to a CA resident part is what I was concerned with. I was under the impression that it must be DROSed into the CA system before it can be sold or it might has well been imported? Hell I don't know. Like I said, even if I did get the pistol, having the high capacity magazines is a no-no.

Joe

Okay, here's the short and sweet (after calling CA-DOJ for YEARS and now being pretty much on a first name basis with them):

Out of state resident:

- Can buy whatever they want, that's not on the assault weapons list or can be configured into an assault weapon.

- You move to the state

- Upon arrival into the state (or frankly if you know your address, before you arrive) declare ownership and DROS firearms into California.

- Upon receipt from DOJ memorandum/letter stating that the firearms have been DROS'ed into CA, you can sell it, keep it, etc.

In state resident:

- CANNOT buy from, given, found, etc. from an out of state source any handgun that's not on the list (or a frame). The handgun must be DROS'ed into the state if it's not on the approved list. (I know folks have got around it through their FFL holders, but that don't make it legal)

- Private party transfers are legal for any handgun that is or is not on the approved list, so long as it is not configured as an assault weapon.

Note: If you conduct more than 4 (?) private party transfers within a calendar year, you are subject to sales tax, but don't quote me on this part, 'cause I honestly can't remember it verbatum.

Rich