Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen and thought

benos

A couple paragraphs appeared in an earlier, somewhat confusing because I was rushing (big surprise), post...

The word Zen is Japanese for meditation, which means to ponder, to wonder, in essence – to learn. Therefore, Zen is the act of wondering or inquiring.

Zen cannot be found by way of thinking because the nature of thought is to conclude; inquiry stops when the mind concludes, so no Zen there. So, what is it then? At the moment your mind turns to wonder, to inquire – that’s it. (Did you see it?) By resuming inquiry, Zen reopens the door of awareness and wonder, which, unfortunately, thinking and concluding effectively closes.

Not thinking is Zen. Since, as adults, we basically think all the time, we might wonder - what is the function of thought?

A word is a sound or a combination of sounds that symbolizes or communicates meaning. So words and thoughts are in essence verbal tools used to communicate meaning. The interesting part, which we typically take for granted, is that for anything to be communicated with words, both parties have to have previously agreed on what ALL the words used in a particular utterance mean. That’s a strange thing when you think about it. So underlying using words to communicate is the principle that at some point, we have to have realized, or agreed upon, the meaning behind each word we know. This "education" begins early in life, and normally continues uninterrupted until we die.

For example, if someone says – "That’s a really bright shade of red," we instantly know what they mean because we’ve not only previously agreed on what red "is" or symbolizes, but also that it is a particularly "bright" shade of red. Furthermore, cleverly hidden, is the implication that there is a "someone" who perceives something (colored red) which apparently exists as separate from the "person" perceiving. (The power of this conclusion, or assumption, is so strong, you might find yourself wondering what the hell I’m talking about.) So underlying all communication using words or language is the subtle implication that there is a perceiver and a perceived, or subject and object.

These simple, non-emotional conclusions appear harmless at first, as early in life we learn names for everything we can distinguish with our senses. The funny thing is, we even have names for things we can’t distinguish (with our senses), like space, for example. Investigating the nature of naming itself, we find that everything that exists, exists in opposition to that which doesn’t exist. This applies to every distinction we can possibly apprehend with our senses. Space exists where things do not; white exists where black, or another color is not; sadness exists when happiness is not; awareness exists when thought does not. From this we see the nature of the thinking mind is to divide perceptions into pairs of opposites. The mind is truly a dichotomous dictionary.

What is actually happening in the mind as it divides sensory perceptions into opposing categories of subject and object, good and bad, mine and yours? If you observe your own mind carefully, you’ll notice that when your mind concludes, in essence, it stops moving to find out. The thinking, concluding mind limits the normally aware mind from being able to notice anything new. There is no inquiry when the mind concludes. This is an important principle to comprehend if we wish to learn, which means to find out, or to inquire.

At a young age, we quickly learn words, descriptions, and explanations for everything we encounter with our senses. None of this is bad, however, until we turn a lifetime of acquired names and conclusions into opinions and beliefs and subsequently become uselessly opinionated about everything. This is the ignorance of humanity. At this point, regrettably, it’s nearly impossible to change because we are no longer able to wonder, or inquire about anything.  

If we care to see the truth of this we should investigate the functioning of our own mind and comprehend that indeed, our personal reality is based on the description we have absorbed from our conditional experiences. If we are born in the U.S. we (typically) think and act like an American. If we were born on the Amazon, we’d do likewise. When we thoroughly comprehend the conditional nature of our dearest opinions, we stop habitually reacting to every situation we encounter.

By examining our own mind we find that our knowledge of the world is supported by a description we inherit from our personal environment. This description is observable because it resides in our thoughts, and is especially brought forth when we emotionally react to sensory encounters.

Our emotions function to alert us to a cherished, albeit incomplete understanding. This is not bad because or emotions serve to make us AWARE, and only while aware is real, lasting change possible. If we can learn to observe what is actually going on (during an emotional response) with an aware, unbiased, undistracted mind - unburdened from the chains of harbored opinions – we gain the power to change what will happen, or what we call the future. Therein lies the great power of awareness. (Another topic.)

If we deeply comprehend the activity of thinking, we’ll understand both the power and the limitation of rational thought. Logical thought is responsible for the incredible evolution of tools, machines, science, computers, communication - the list is endless. Nevertheless, by its very nature, the dividing, concluding nature of thought is limiting because once the mind has concluded it is not possible for it to MOVE to find out, which is the essence of learning. By this we see that thinking and concluding – believing – is actually a prison with its foundation firmly planted within our own conditional environment. The study of Zen, or awareness, aims to free us from our limited, unknowingly built construction of personal reality.

Zen uses various methods to return us to freedom. As you may have guessed, one method is inquiry. The teaching of Zen assaults our conclusions and beliefs with questions, or koans as termed in Zen, as in: Who or what are you? Or, before your parents were born – what was your original mind? Carefully observe your own mind at the instant it turns to inquire or wonder. At that exact moment, what is the essence of your mind? Is it different from what we call awareness? When the thinking mind returns to awareness, the mind becomes tremendously sensitive – open and aware. The aware, attentive mind is capable of noticing, of finding out - precisely what is needed to learn or change.

Another method used in Zen is to simply cultivate awareness. At first we may have to "distract" our conditioned, thinking mind for our inherently aware mind to become silent and aware. Then, as we become familiar with the feeling of silent awareness, we can discard the method of distraction (used to return to awareness), like counting breaths, for example, and simply preserve the feeling of awareness, without being aware of anything in particular. At that moment, our mind is not far from what Zen calls our original or true mind.

Our true mind, according to Zen, is immaculately aware, fluid, and free from binding delusions and attachments; it doesn’t make objective distinctions, and it doesn’t come from or go to anywhere; all things are supported by it, it’s never born and never dies. Above all, the true mind is not bound by conclusions and opinions.

Become intimate with your inherently aware mind. Quietly observe your body and mind as you perform routine tasks throughout the day. Silently, intimately, simply observe your body-mind move.

If you persist with sufficient resolve, you will realize your immaculately aware nature functions in action with perfect intelligence, and is characterized by free, continuous movement – the optimum functioning state.

Stop compulsive labeling if you want to see what is really going on.

be

Keep up these posts...I think all this Zen stuff is finally starting to sink in.  

Question though regarding this statement "Carefully observe your own mind at the instant it turns to inquire or wonder. At that exact moment, what is the essence of your mind? Is it different from what we call awareness?"  I just don't get it, I originally thought that Zen was the state I was in when I'm shooting...that state is hard to describe, but I call it autopilot, it's just watching and shooting as if I'm a spectator.  Is that what you were referring to in the quote above?

Bill

That was a great post Brian,

(it kindof made me dizzy reading it..hehe).

There is alot of thinking going on about the art of not thinking...

*Just do it,

*trust that you can do it

*without having to think about doing it..

I can see how Zen can apply to everything in your life, but alas, I still feel like a small child trying to learn how to walk and talk---(read--establishing my shooting platform).

This forum (and Matt Brukett's class) have really made

me look at shooting in a whole new way..

Sensory overload for me right now but I trust that it will all sort out and come together someday...

Trust...

Brian,

Quick question. Is Zen primarily Japanese - or Asian? I know - Japan is in Asia - I understand that - but is Zen found only in Japan? Is Zen a function of Buddhism?

The reason I ask is two fold. One - both my wife and I are taking an interest in Eastern philosophy (religion if you want to call it that) so to know and understand in laymans terms would be good. On the surface it is a very hard religion to understand - although Joseph Cambell seems to break it down fairly well.

I guess the second reason is simple curiosity. My work takes me overseas frequently - in fact I just got back from a trip yesterday. While in Taiwan we went to a Buddhist temple - which was incredible by the way. I am not familiar enough with Buddhism to know if Zen falls under it - or as as seperate Asian entity. Buddhism is evident all throughout the orient.

Taiwan seems to have a ton of Buddhist followers - all the factories have mini shrines and there are temples all over the place. China doesn't seem to have as many. Interestingly if my travels take me south to the Malaysia/Singapor areas - Buddhism is much less evident - there the religion is primarily Muslim. That surprised me.

Anyhow - thanks!

JB

JB,

Buddhism originated in India in 999 BC, simultaneous with the enlightenment of an individual named Siddhartha, who then became known as the Buddha. [thread drift] "Buddha" is Sanskrit for what we call awareness. So "Buddha nature," in essence, is our miraculously aware true nature, which is, according to the teaching of the Buddha, our original, unborn, undying, fundamentally pure nature. Although present everywhere and in every thing, "it" does not, however, depend on perceptual discrimination, or on our awareness of it, for its reality. [/thread drift] (I know that’s a slight thread drift, but it might help to understand the meaning behind Buddhism.)

Anyway, after the Buddha’s enlightenment, he unceasingly taught what he had realized until his death, forty-nine years later. Since the Buddha encountered a reality mortal men do not, only he could affirm whether an individual had truly realized his true nature. Accordingly, he "passed on" his knowledge to his most realized disciple, Kasyapa, even though his foremost student, Ananda, could literally recite ALL the Buddha’s teachings. (He hadn’t yet comprehended the "source.") Later, upon Ananada’s realization, he inherited the teaching from Kasyapa. In this way it continued uninterrupted for more than fifty-three generations.

In approximately 527 AD, Boddhidharma, the twenty-eighth Patriarch in the lineage of the Buddha, traveled for three years by sea to bring the Buddha’s teaching to China. Finding no one suitable for the teaching, he meditated for nine years while waiting for his first worthy student, Huike, to appear.

Around 1200, the true teaching of Zen Buddhism arrived in Japan by way of Zen master Dogen, the fifty-second Patriarch in the direct lineage of the Buddha. Zen Buddhism then later spread to Korea, Taiwan, Tibet, America, and so on.

Simply put, Zen is a method of study, practice, and realization that exists within Buddhism, which endeavors to lead us to the Buddha’s comprehension at the moment of his enlightenment. In theory, they’re not different. In practice, however, the methods employed (to lead to realization) may differ somewhat. Zen relies more on a "direct pointing" method of practice, using meditation and paradigm shattering koans to lead us to realization, (as described briefly in other posts). Typically, Buddhism involves a more formal or religious approach, relying on the teachings of the Buddha after his enlightenment. Moreover, Buddhism commonly involves "belief" as a core of its teaching. In Buddhism, we have the eight-fold path as a means to end suffering. In Zen, we find rigorous methods of meditation and questioning designed to free us from bondage to mundane life.

Because of the existence of belief, Zen or Buddhism can be viewed as a religion. The idea of belief, however, is my departure from the teaching of most Zen Buddhism. (Not all forms of Zen teach from the foundation of belief.) The significance of belief, as taught in Zen Buddhism, implies that one must have tremendous faith or belief in that what the Buddha comprehended was indeed the one, true, impersonal reality.

Belief can be a two-sided sword. If you carefully, without concluding, investigate the idea of belief, you’ll find that belief itself is responsible for all the fears, horrors, atrocities, and sorrows of mankind. Nevertheless, I have no doubt what the Buddha experienced was true, correct, and without personal bias; but I do not feel the filter of belief is necessary if we wish to directly comprehend the significance of life.

Basically, belief was taught by the Buddha because he SAW that people need "something" to believe in, otherwise the experience of life (without belief) simply becomes overwhelming, and the resulting fear produced by "not knowing" leads us through life like a leash "leads" a dog around the block. Because of his tremendous compassion, the Buddha used belief to lead people to freedom. From that standpoint, I’m OK with it; however, I do feel it’s an important emotional concept to understand. Belief, that is. Without believing or concluding, establishing good or bad - look around, begin to wonder – what is underneath everything? Or, as in Monty Python – "What’s all this then"?

be

Brian

Thanks for the post - I know you didn't have to take the time but I appreciate it. I find it ironic that when the path seems shaky somehow you always enter into the scene and help bring clarity. Ironically I remember a time not too long ago that you pointed me to the book "The Celestine Prophecy" - a book I still own.

I also own Sidhartha - which I have not read yet - but considering your post I will. I assume you've heard of the book and may be able to shed some light as to its legitimacy.

Just before I left I remember asking you whether you worried about losing track of people - getting lost in the sea of the world and perhaps not finding the people that meant something to you. You told me that you never worried about it - that often times you would be driving and think of someone - and like a calling card - a few weeks later they would call - or get in touch.

Is this still a belief of yours? I wonder - because as you know I live a more "superficial" life now (my only saving grace is I realize I am a corporate dog) - and I question things often (as I've always done). Somehow - at some point in time - I found myself posting on the Daddy E. page. How ironic - or is it?

I've always enjoyed our conversations - and of course the shooting. Granted we don't shoot together anymore - but the discussion is good even if it does happen over e-mail.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Thread Drift... An interesting concept in light of the subject matter. Isn't Zen Wandering basically Mental Thread Drift? How can you have the topic of Zen and think of Thread Drift as bad?

As a child I thought beliefs were neet. An anchor for your life, giving it a purpose. As an adult I see beliefs an anchor, a dead weight tying us down, limiting or eliminating our mental wanderings. I see many of the things they have brought us as bad because people tend to anchor them selves with their beliefs, as an end in themselves, rather than a means to an end. Budda was wise indeed to use belief as a focus for teaching, an attraction but used not to blind the believer. I had become a bit jaded in thinking of beliefs, concentrating more on their limitations than how they can be used for real enlightenment. Thanks Brian for helping me throw away that crutch.

BTW a good introduction into philosphy is the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence (an inquiery into values) by Robert M Persig. Its the type of book that makes you think, the more times you read it the more you get out of it. The more I read it (and its sequal Lila) the more I disagree with some of Persigs conclusions, but the more I suspect that was his intention all along. Persig lures you into philosphy using the motorcycle as an example at first. Explaining things in an easy to understand form, getting deeper into philosphy as he goes along.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things you find, as you travel along a path toward greater awareness, is you begin frequently experiencing what I've heard called "synchronicites," i.e. coincidences that are just too coincidental. It's as if your thought processes and the flow of the world are coming more into confluence.

"A word is a sound or a combination of sounds that symbolizes or communicates meaning. So words and thoughts are in essence verbal tools used to communicate meaning. "

There is a discipline called "Psycho-linguistics" that is taught in Universities now-a-days.

They study what words mean and how that meaning affects the listener.   Bill Clinton hired experts in this area extensively.  Remember in 1993 he said "people want change"?  "Change" meant something different to each person but all those who voted for him wanted it.

Remember "peristroka"?(sorry about spelling)  This is a Russian word meaning "change".  Remember the Russian president who was elected on that platform of "change": Gorbachev?  What did change mean? Each voter had their own definition.  None looked beyond themselves but relied upon their own inner set of pre-conceived notions to draw a conclusion.  

You, everyone, can be manipulated by your interpretation of words if you don't keep your mind open

• 10 months later...

Mr. Enos,

I am confused about the meaning of zen.  Are you saying that in order for ones mind to be in a state of zen one must not have any beliefs and doubts?  

If this is true then what would  be the purpose of this?  

I hope I didn't just have a brain fart.  :)  Thanks J

Brian,

Thank you for your kind words.  

I hope that one day I will reach a level of understanding

that knows no limitations.  I believe self-enlightenment is one of the keys to self-mastery.  In truth I am in debt to you and to all the contributors of this great forum.

For there was a time when I was in turmoil and found solace within the "Enosuniverse."  Thank you for creating this forum.  I am sure scores of people feel the same way.    Jesse

• 8 years later...

One of the things you find, as you travel along a path toward greater awareness, is you begin frequently experiencing what I've heard called "synchronicites," i.e. coincidences that are just too coincidental. It's as if your thought processes and the flow of the world are coming more into confluence.

It’s 2011 and I have just read this post.

Synchronicites, I didn’t know there was a word to describe these experiences.

This happens to me all the time, a few examples:

I got a one year old Beagle from a friend. The dog had health and training issues. I went to a natural dog food store. I discussed my dog’s problems with the storeowner. Days after, I ran into the storeowner at the bank. Later, I ran into her at the Dog Park. I ran into her at an ATM. I ran into her at the market. There were other chance meetings. I actually thought I was being stocked, she may have felt the same way. Each time we talked about my dog. This occurred over several months. The dogs health and other issues got much better. Even though I go to the same places I haven’t seen the storeowner again. She was coincidently there several times when I needed her. I wondered, if according to Shunryu Suzuki “Things go the way the mind goes” was it mine, the storeowner’s or the dog’s mind making this happen.

My friend’s father had to be moved into a care facility, that I recommended. He went in July 1. My mother is in a different care facility, same owners. The two care facilities come together for a Christmas Party for the families. I had never met my friend’s father, but I could feel him reaching out to me. I literally had to drag my friend to the Christmas Party. I met my friend’s father there. He had and my mother has Alzheimer's Disease. At the party I found out that my friend had not visited his father since he had come to the care facility. All was good at the Party. My friend’s father passed away peacefully less than two days later. Everyone I have told this story too, except my friend, has said the father was waiting to see his only son before leaving.