Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Georgia State Match

00bullitt

Anyone else here shoot the match? What did you think? Twelve stages total.

All in all it was a good match. This was probably one of my best matches that I have shot in a while with the exception of two tanked stages which cost me. I had some gripes with changes made to a stage after I shot it and the match directors decision to rectify it. All stages were run pretty fast except for one. 90% of the targets required 3 hits. The RO's had to shoot the day before in what seemed like a category 4 tropical storm. The rain caused alot of the electronics to fail on the target activators and they had to be removed from the stages the day before .I feel for the SO's and it eased my pain a bit about the changes to the stage that screwed me up. They did have it pretty bad. I just wished the MD would have left the stage alone after others and myself shot it. It did make a huge difference to me .

I did win the Glock certificate that was given away and won a nice range bag too. Would like to see a few more vendors come next year.

This was my second GA state match. I'm definitely going to start venturing out to some neighboring states matches to test the waters. Also want to go to the nationals next year.

Edited by 00bullitt

I shot it and enjoyed most of it. Another friend and I decided to blow off the shoothouse stage at the end because it was taking too long.

That stage was really my only complaint about the match. They just weren't watching the cycle time. It was running anywhere from 2.5 to 5 minutes from shooter to shooter. House stages inherently run slow and have to be closely monitored or they slow to a crawl. That crew needed to stay on top of it and they didn't.

Aside from that, I enjoyed it. The loss of the electronic stages didn't bother me at all.

I was there. Good shoot.

Having recently shot the Nationals on the schedule that got the most rain, I really felt for the GA staff, they had it tough.

I shot the house stage early on the grounds that it was at the bay fartherest from the center of the club and wanted to trudge out there while fresh.

I'd like to have seen the electronic wonder targets, but it would probably just have made me shoot the car stage even worse and it was my second worst as it was.

I'll be back.

Who won High Senior? This was a pretty good match. One thing I would change is the number of hits per target. I don't know why everyone is going to 3 shots per target. MD shoots CDP?

My shooting is getting better every match. My hand should be 100% by the Alabama State Match.

Don't know where the rumor got started that I had sold all my guns and quit shooting. Geez guys I take three months off for surgery and you would think I had died.

It was good to see Austin - 79 and still shooting.

See you all in Mississippi.

One thing I would change is the number of hits per target. I don't know why everyone is going to 3 shots per target. MD shoots CDP?

Cuz we all know that 2 isn't enough to get the job done with your 126pf ammo Joe. :D

Yeah no points down on the scores, High LE, Hi Ladies, High Senior, none of that. Did they hand out awards or make note in any of those categories at the awards?

My e-mail from Capel E. said:

The results are in! Match results are posted at www.gadpa.com. I'll get the accuracy and sub-division results posted later.

I thought next day posting of even general results was a good accomplishment.

Edit to add, they now have the "accuracy" and special category wins posted.

Edited by Jim Watson

Anyone else here shoot the match? What did you think? Twelve stages total.

All in all it was a good match. This was probably one of my best matches that I have shot in a while with the exception of two tanked stages which cost me. I had some gripes with changes made to a stage after I shot it and the match directors decision to rectify it. All stages were run pretty fast except for one. 90% of the targets required 3 hits. The RO's had to shoot the day before in what seemed like a category 4 tropical storm. The rain caused alot of the electronics to fail on the target activators and they had to be removed from the stages the day before .I feel for the SO's and it eased my pain a bit about the changes to the stage that screwed me up. They did have it pretty bad. I just wished the MD would have left the stage alone after others and myself shot it. It did make a huge difference to me .

I did win the Glock certificate that was given away and won a nice range bag too. Would like to see a few more vendors come next year.

This was my second GA state match. I'm definitely going to start venturing out to some neighboring states matches to test the waters. Also want to go to the nationals next year.

Stage 2 was the stage that 00bullitt is referring to. See http://www.gadpa.com/idpa/2006_IDPA_Georgi...ionship_COF.pdf for the course description. There was a vision barrier covering the foot wide slot between the barrels. The barrier was designed to be the height of the top barrel, but during the night, after the SO's shot the stage in what can only be described as miserable conditions, the whole stack of barrels blew over. When we came in on Saturday morning, the SO’s had to stand all the barrels back up. What they did not notice was that the staples holding the vision barrier had come loose and so the fabric was 3” longer. In other words, the slot was 3 inches shorter than the day before. About 1 hour after the match had started; I noticed this and stapled it back up. So those shooters who shot stage 2 between 8:00 and 9:00 am had a slot that was 12x37 inches instead of a slot that was 12x40 inches (the standard height of a 55 gal drum). Since there was no way to know who had shot stage 2 during the first hour of the match, I had 2 options. Let it go, or throw the stage out. I chose to let it go. The few other shooters I spoke to who shot the stage during that time did not want a re-shoot or throw it out. These are the types of decisions MD’s have to make.

What all shooters need to understand is that there is no such thing as a perfect match. At the NC State match this year the stage I was working on had the shooter put his gun in the car’s glove box to start. About half way through the match the latch broke. The MD fixed it with a duct tape tab and we kept going. One could argue that the tape was better/worse than the latch, but no one wanted to throw the stage out. This was a similar situation.

-Capel

I shot it and enjoyed most of it. Another friend and I decided to blow off the shoothouse stage at the end because it was taking too long.

That stage was really my only complaint about the match. They just weren't watching the cycle time. It was running anywhere from 2.5 to 5 minutes from shooter to shooter. House stages inherently run slow and have to be closely monitored or they slow to a crawl. That crew needed to stay on top of it and they didn't.

Aside from that, I enjoyed it. The loss of the electronic stages didn't bother me at all.

Claude is correct. We did have issues on stage 10. Early in the day there were no shooters on the stage, and then there was a backlog. Since the SO's only shot 9 stages the day before, we were short handed while the SO's shot the stages we missed on Friday. By the time we got enough SO's on the stage to run it consistently between 2 and 2.5 minutes, the damage was done. Thanks for everyone’s patience.

As far as the electronics were concerned, it was a calculated risk. We have used them in good weather with no problems, but they just could not stand up to 2.5 inches of rain. It was a disappointment to me. The stages were very challenging to the MA and NV alike. I told the SO’s before the 1st shot was fired “if the electronics don’t work, we throw them out”. Fortunately the two runners worked very well.

Who won High Senior? This was a pretty good match. One thing I would change is the number of hits per target. I don't know why everyone is going to 3 shots per target. MD shoots CDP?

My shooting is getting better every match. My hand should be 100% by the Alabama State Match.

Don't know where the rumor got started that I had sold all my guns and quit shooting. Geez guys I take three months off for surgery and you would think I had died.

See you all in Mississippi.

Joe, the sub-division results are posted. You won. And to wanswer your other question: No, 3 shots/target was not because I shoot CDP. A group of active GADPA members selected the stages from the 56 stages we shot in the prior 12 months. I was the only CDP shooter in the group. The two runner stages were the only stages that had not been shot at a club match. Stage 4 turned out to be somewhat revolver un-friendly and for that I appologize.

-Capel

Edited by Hot Brass

Capel, I did not mean to sound critical. I am just seeing the 3 shot scenario, IMO, too often in matches. I have been to some matches where every target got 3 shots.

BTW, check Billy's score again. He may have beaten me.

Mark, remember a 300 gr bullet only has to go 416 fps. I load mine all the way up to 430 fps. :P

I thought about doing a Tac load on the high/low runner stage but chickened out - no guts, no glory. If I shot it again I would.

Tell Horace he let a girl beat him. :lol:

Stage 2 - the flap had fallen down again when I shot. Did not bother me. If an old fart like me can get down low enough to shoot it in 20.62 then you young guys need to stop whinning.

Hats off to the SOs for shooting in awful conditions.

Edited by Joe D

Well.......the curtain was raised more like 10". I went and kneeled back at that stage and only had to shrug my shoulders to see under the curtain after it was raised rather than ball up into some cockeyed contorted position that I had to the first time. It was raised enough for me to want a reshoot. 3" would not have made any difference but the change was more than significant.

This stage should have been left alone. The glovebox issue clearly had to be addressed. But in my opinion,effort should have been made to get it as close to what it was as possible. If it ain't broke,don't fix it.

Capel......no doubt MD's have a tough job. Not everyone agrees with all of their decisions. Constructive criticism is only for improvement. Its not meant to be a kick in the balls. You run an excellent match. I'd venture to say its easily the best IDPA match in three states. Thank You for your time and effort that you put into it. What you read here should only help to make the Georgia match even better next year. :)

Edited by 00bullitt

Capel, I did not mean to sound critical. I am just seeing the 3 shot scenario, IMO, too often in matches. I have been to some matches where every target got 3 shots.

BTW, check Billy's score again. He may have beaten me.

Mark, remember a 300 gr bullet only has to go 416 fps. I load mine all the way up to 430 fps. :P

I thought about doing a Tac load on the high/low runner stage but chickened out - no guts, no glory. If I shot it again I would.

Tell Horace he let a girl beat him. :lol:

Stage 2 - the flap had fallen down again when I shot. Did not bother me. If an old fart like me can get down low enough to shoot it in 20.62 then you young guys need to stop whinning.

Hats off to the SOs for shooting in awful conditions.

No problem Joe. Just thought you might like to know how we came up with the COF.

The SO's on stage 4 shot it a few times after the match was over, and the Tac load was the way to go. I saw a few people engage the low target through the hay bales. Only Dave Sevigny did it with any success. He got 3 head shots on the lower target through the hay. His stage time was 12.26.

It looks to me like you beat Billy by 0.11 seconds...

-Capel

Austin is the best!

I was glad to see you all as well but I am not 79.

All kidding aside. Austin is quite an impressive fellow. He has great advice and is an inspiration to us all. I just hope I am shooting like him when I am his age. He sure knows how to use his 1911.

I thought the match was great and I had lots of fun. Many thanks to Capel for puting this on I know it must have been a lot of work. And thanks to the SOs, if it was raining hard enough to delay my flight to ATL by three hours and get several flights I know of canceled then I know shooting in that rain must have been horrid.

That's who I thought of on stage 2. He and Mitch. Two kneeling positions and a prone. Ouch.

I'm not sure how he did it, but Austin Schall burned down stage 2. All the scores were entered twice, so it was not a typo in the scoring trailer. Dave S. was the only one to beat him on that stage!

That's who I thought of on stage 2. He and Mitch. Two kneeling positions and a prone. Ouch.

I'm not sure how he did it, but Austin Schall burned down stage 2. All the scores were entered twice, so it was not a typo in the scoring trailer. Dave S. was the only one to beat him on that stage!

to bad someone didn't film that!!!! that stage ATE MY LUNCH !!!! looked like Austin shot an old converted bullseye colt gold cup...i noticed the drilled and tapped slide <_< he also did good on stage 9...he has impressed me the 2 times i SO'ed this match..... :)

Yeah, that one makes you scratch your head. Perhaps an out of body experience. :D

I believe the old saying 'Practice makes perfect' applies to the GA Match.

This years match was much more polished than last year, seemed better thought out and I think, went more smoothly than last year, in spite of the weather issues.

Stage 4 left a little to be desired for the wheelgunners, but the match was revolver friendly otherwise.

Congratulations to Capel for a great match, I'm looking forward to next year.