Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Man's Media Separator

chunger

Hello,

thought I'd share my newest discovery. . . I didn't have a media separator, and was processing brass for the 1st time today. Being as I'm penny pinching for sticker shock of 1st reloading rig, I decided to go to Target and see what could be used.

Cleaning walnut media case by case was a drag.

I found a bucket and a laundry bag and they worked out great! This is of course from the perspective of someone who hasn't used a real media separator before.

Put laundry bag over bucket. . . dump tumbler contents into bucket. . . pick up laundry bag and shake/roll the contents a couple of times. . .

laundrybag.jpg

You can separate a ton of brass in a laundry bag, and I'm a happy camper. For 3 bucks, you can't beat it.

Edited by chunger

Ask Santa to bring you a real seperator. I'm a cheapskate myself, but I can't see living without one.

Santa already brought me a 550B. . . I think he's all tapped out this year :blink:

This seriously works so fast I don't think I'm going to need a separator.

Whatta great idea! Ya know, you could avoid the dust and ventilation problem by putting a lid on the bucket (even loosely would be better than none) and THEN shake down the contents. Still, a great idea!! Thanks!

About a year ago I scrounged a nice plastic bucket with lid from our recycling area... One of those square buckets (with lid) that dry kitty litter comes in. The previous owner had just set the bucket, lid and all--nice and clean--by the bin and I just took it home. I use it for storing bags of tumbling media and a couple of other things gun-related. But it'd make a good separator bucket, what with the lid and all. B)