Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Or G35?

pierce195

I am currently shooting my G22 with minor load in production and plan on getting a G34 or G35. I feel that if I get the G35 I can move to a limited or L10 class and back to production and shoot a minor load any time. What is the thought when purcashing a long slide glock?

Thanks,

Matt

One gun for everything? Don't let my wife hear that kind of talk:) seriously, if you want to move back and forth in divisions with the same gun you might want to go with the .40. 9 would have to score minor, It is a bit cheaper to reload 9mm.

I shoot a G35 in production with 130 PF loads and it's a cupcake. I did things that way for convenience of reloading between production and limited.

I can't say for sure if the G35 at 130 PF is softer than a G34 at 130 PF, but it's very soft recoil-wise and the gun stays flat. My G17 with WWB feels sharper to me than my G35 with mouse fart reloads. The aftermarket stuff I use: KKM barrel, $10 trigger job, long tungsten guiderod, 15# recoil spring, and Dawson sights.

When I consider a G35 in production vs the same in limited/L10, there's just not much I'd change. Notably a magwell and maybe a large mag release. Magazine basepads would be needed with a magwell for proper seating. My trigger feels good at 2.5 pounds so I wouldn't change it.

I think Glocks are at their best in production though. If you have a G22 that's working for you, I'm not sure you make a big enough gain to justify the cost of buying a G35. With that said, I don't think you'll do badly in limited with a Glock, I'm just ssaying if you're buying new there are better guns.

Shooting 9mm is less expensive, but if you really want one gun to go between L10 and Production (and you want to shoot major) than the G35 is the way to go. I know a handfull of people that LOVE shooting 40 minor (Flex being one of them)

BTW-I personally shoot Production with a G34...and when I want to play around in L10, I don't change anything, and shoot minor. An alpha is 5 points no matter what power factor you are shooting ;)

Well, if your G22 is your department gun, I definately understand looking for a competition gun.

I don't think you're going to find a competitive difference between the G34 and G35 if you're using minor PF loads. I don't mind the cost difference in .40 vs 9mm. I think my reloads work out to $0.06 a round. I'm not sure how cheap 9mm reloads are.

The reason for the new gun is my department owns my G22, so I am limited on the changes I can make. I like shooting minor in the 40 for production.

I had the same thing, my 22 is my PD's. I went with the 35 and haven't looked back. I don't shoot production but the Glock can be competitive in Limited I think with the proper acessories and mainly a good trigger job. I'm about to earn my A card with it and workin towards my M.

The reason for the new gun is my department owns my G22, so I am limited on the changes I can make. I like shooting minor in the 40 for production.

What changes can and can't you make?

The reason I am asking is...it sounds like you are getting ready to go on the "throw money at the equipment" phase of your shooting....and, you really don't need to do that.

I'd soooo much rather see a shooter spend $500-1000 on bullets and training. I'm getting a bit depressed every time I see a Glock for sale in the classifieds with hundreds of dollars worth of extras on it.

The reason I am asking is...it sounds like you are getting ready to go on the "throw money at the equipment" phase of your shooting....and, you really don't need to do that.

I'd soooo much rather see a shooter spend $500-1000 on bullets and training. I'm getting a bit depressed every time I see a Glock for sale in the classifieds with hundreds of dollars worth of extras on it.

That's a good point and something I personally struggled with. I never got rid of guns, but I'd rationalize buying niche guns when my perfectly effective guns sat in the safe. It doesn't have the same draw that it once did, but occasionally I still pick up project guns even when I don't have a clear need for a project.

On the other hand, I've shot with a lot of officers and they're very touchy about the legal ramifications of messing with their department guns.

You can't go wrong with a G35, and you can shoot major if you want.

I really like the G35. I fired a lot of ammo through mine while throwing money at it ;) setting it up as a Limited gun for my wife. With grip tape added it was a good gun right out of the box.

My glock 22 has to stay in department issue form. No changing of the sights or trigger pull.

I started reloading my own 40 minor and the cost is right with all the once shoot free brass from the department range and I get all the free Lawman 165's and 180's I want for practice.

So again the reason for the new gun would be to have something of my own to shoot and chage as I see fit. I checked the price for a LE Glock 34/35 with high caps is $480 plus tax.

A few months back I was faced with the same delima. I wanted an all-around gaming gun. I went with the G35, and love it.

I shoot minor in IDPA, and run a 13lb ISMI recoil spring. Reduced power striker spring. Trigger down to 3.75lbs. Threw on some Dawson's. Little grip tape here & there. 100% reliable, and groups little over an inch at 25 with my handload. Very soft shooting too. I'll soon be trying USPSA, and now have a piece that can shoot major PF too.

I see you reload.......Get the 35

Throw on some sights, change some springs, add some grip tape. and get plenty of spare high caps :D .....Of course all this is subjective.

A lot of Gun&Fun for little money ;)

Good luck, Bill

Agree with all comments about the G35.

For Production, it's nice to be able to 9mm because you can buy cheap factory ammo if you don't want to reload.

Do you get any practice ammo from your department?

My glock 22 has to stay in department issue form. No changing of the sights or trigger pull.

I started reloading my own 40 minor and the cost is right with all the once shoot free brass from the department range and I get all the free Lawman 165's and 180's I want for practice.

So again the reason for the new gun would be to have something of my own to shoot and chage as I see fit. I checked the price for a LE Glock 34/35 with high caps is $480 plus tax.

The department says you can't change the gun but they let you shoot reloads through it? :blink:

Can't go wrong with either the 34 or 35. But the 35 would make more sense for you as you already load for it and have mags, etc.

Like Flex said, you don't need to do much to Glocks to make them competitive.

This is simple. Buy both. Trick out the 35 frame for L10 and limited and leave the 34 frame stock for Production. You can always put the 34 slide on your 35 frame, swap out the ejector and throw on a hi-cap magazine. Enjoy

Sounds like the 35 will fit you perfectly. Trigger work, grip tape, tunsten guide rod w/lighter spring and your pretty much set for it to take you as far as you want to go. I also kinda like the idea of switching divisions with 1 gun, keeping it as competitive as it can be.

Its also a nice peace of mind to own your own gun that you can do things to.

Edited by kamann

I am currently shooting my G22 with minor load in production and plan on getting a G34 or G35. I feel that if I get the G35 I can move to a limited or L10 class and back to production and shoot a minor load any time. What is the thought when purcashing a long slide glock?

Thanks,

Matt

here was my thought:

Buy the G35 and then buy a nice 9mm conversion barrel and you get both guns. 9mm barrel drops in and it shoots without any other changes (works perfectly). Get some 9mm magazines and you have two guns.

That's what I have.

Edited by bountyhunter