Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Fourm Rules For Civility Apply To Idpa Hq And Its Founders?

freeidaho

(Duane Thomas @ Oct 13 2006, 10:54 PM)

I just spent about two hours pulling out all the bickering in this thread. Let me make this clear: BrianEnos.com is a forums board that prides itself on the civility of its discourse. Referring to other posters' comments as "tired", "BS", "dumb", "tripe", "crap" or calling those who disagree with you "whiners", etc. is not going to fly. Anyone who is unclear on this concept should re-read the Forum Guidelines.

(freeidaho)

Duane,

Good rules indeed. One of those was one of my posts, and I should have been more mellow. Sorry.

I find it interesting, that one can use any and all of those words, and worse, when describing IDPA, IDPA HQ, Bill or Joyce. Sounds like a double standard to me. This double standard may be what starts alot of these wild threads in the first place.

Shouldn't the same respect shown to an anonymous poster that may do nothing for our sport be afforded to the group that founded the sport?

Just a thought for you moderators to kick around...

Ken Reed

Edited by freeidaho

Shouldn't the same respect shown to an anonymous poster that may do nothing for our sport be afforded to the group that founded the sport?

Ken Reed

Ken, You made an excellent point, and I'm glad you took Duane's advice and posted this thread!

Just my own $.02. I've always felt that being the top guy - or married to him, or working for him - does open you up to a certain amount of criticism. On the other hand, I have to admit it irritates me when the IDPA rules are referred to as "dumb" - one poster's favorite IDPA insult. I guess one of my pet peeves is hearing someone demean another person's intellectual capacity. Not everyone may like the rules, or that they stop them from doing what they'd like, but a lot of very experienced, intelligent people spent a lot of time working them out. And even in the cases where I don't agree with the rules, I can understand the rationale, why they are the way they are.

BTW, before we really get started, let me make it clear this thread is not a venue for people to complain about the rules, about the fact that Bill Wilson "never talks to anyone," etc. The topic is: should the forum rules on civility apply to Bill and Joyce Wilson, IDPA, and IDPA HQ?

SNIP

The topic is: should the forum rules on civility apply to Bill and Joyce Wilson, IDPA, and IDPA HQ?

Absolutely. Everyone is entitled their own opinion and should be free to express that opinion, but in a civil and calm manner. I have questioned things IDPA both here and on the IDPA forum but AFAIK never in a negative manner.

Bruce

It seems I missed a lot of good dirt by not reading the IDPA threads before Duane gets to them. As I don't shoot IDPA, I'm replying to this thread simple as a enoverse members.

I don't care if God himself came down to post, the forum rules apply. This is Brians house. If God doesn't like, he can take it up with Brian in the after life, thats why we have free will. Everyone else, doesn't even get that option, though I suppose they could send Brian a PM and ask for rule changes.

(Duane Thomas @ Oct 13 2006, 10:54 PM)

I just spent about two hours pulling out all the bickering in this thread. Let me make this clear: BrianEnos.com is a forums board that prides itself on the civility of its discourse. Referring to other posters' comments as "tired", "BS", "dumb", "tripe", "crap" or calling those who disagree with you "whiners", etc. is not going to fly. Anyone who is unclear on this concept should re-read the Forum Guidelines.

(freeidaho)

Duane,

Good rules indeed. One of those was one of my posts, and I should have been more mellow. Sorry.

I find it interesting, that one can use any and all of those words, and worse, when describing IDPA, IDPA HQ, Bill or Joyce. Sounds like a double standard to me. This double standard may be what starts alot of these wild threads in the first place.

Just a thought for you moderators to kick around...

Ken Reed

Interesting that this call for more civility should come from a poster who has openly called this entire forum "hateful" and a moderator who has referred to a plating company by name and said, "I despite the ground those people walk on." Interesting.

Interesting that this call for more civility should come from a poster who has openly called this entire forum "hateful" and a moderator who has referred to a plating company by name and said, "I despite the ground those people walk on." Interesting.

Mike,

Good point. I however have been moderated, had posts deleted, been given feedback, etc., when I was out of line, per the posting guidelines.

Ken Reed

Yes, the forum guidelines should apply equally. That doesn't mean I support an environment where no one is allowed to criticize or display discontent with the Wilsons (Bill & Joyce; not Ann & Nancy). It should even be encouraged, as long as standards of decency are maintained.

=====================================

As a side note, I was in that thread before Duane "fixed" it, and the person giving the most pure hell to Bill & Co. was a hard core, dyed-in-the-wool IDPA shooter and supporter. He almost always trots out that same line of logic/napalm/blood-letting/whatever you want to call it when these opportunities present themselves. He has issues with the rulebook and Bill's commincation techniques and doesn't mind speaking up, even with an IDPA membership card in his wallet. ;)

I say all that as a friendly reminder (request?) that we all try to avoid broad-brush generalizations or insinuations when describing these "offenders". Not all critics of the Wilsons are folks who shoot only USPSA and have never or will never play IDPA.

Edited by ima45dv8

Yes, the forum guidelines should apply equally. That doesn't mean I support an environment where no one is allowed to criticize or display discontent with the Wilsons (Bill & Joyce; not Ann & Nancy). It should even be encouraged, as long as standards of decency are maintained.

=====================================

As a side note, I was in that thread before Duane "fixed" it, and the person giving the most pure hell to Bill & Co. was a hard core, dyed-in-the-wool IDPA shooter and supporter. He almost always trots out that same line of logic/napalm/blood-letting/whatever you want to call it when these opportunities present themselves. He has issues with the rulebook and Bill's commincation techniques and doesn't mind speaking up, even with an IDPA membership card in his wallet. ;)

I say all that as a friendly reminder (request?) that we all try to avoid broad-brush generalizations or insinuations when describing these "offenders". Not all critics of the Wilsons are folks who shoot only USPSA and have never or will never play IDPA.

Amen.

Rich