Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto Mag

I just joined this fine forum tonight and just wanted to say Hi! I have been reading some posts and have learned quite a bit. I am not a competion shooter but I do shoot about 3 times a week. I have been shooting about 42 years so I am not new to firearms.

I especially like the section on the Dillon presses as I am in the market for a new one! I will most likely go with the RL550B. The old Rock Chucker is great but it is time for a change!!!

Welcome aboard John!

Yeah, tell us about those fine blasters!

If you're in the market for a new Dillon press, one of the best deals you can find is HERE with our host, Brian.

Good luck!

Edited by Nemo

Thanks for the welcome!!!

The Auto Mag on the left side is my shooter. It is a Pasadena Model 180 in 44 AMP with the standard 6.5" vent rib barrel. The one on the right is my dream Auto Mag. It is actually a replica called the Clint 1. It is made to replicate the Auto Mag Clint Eastwood used in the movie Sudden Impact. The 8.5" barrel assemblies are very hard to locate as only a few were ever made. One day hopefully I will have one.

I have been reloading for about 5 years on the Rock Chucker. It is a good press but I need to get into a progressive. I will definitely keep the RC also.

I load for 45ACP, 44 Auto Mag, 44 Magnum, 40 S&W, 9MM and 30 Carbine.

Brian, thanks for the recommendation!!!! That is the one that I am going to get. Any good ideas on a good reloading bench? I am going to check some restaurant equipment suppliers for maybe a used butcher block table that might serve the purpose. It will sure be sturdy enough.

John

Welcome to the Forum, John. You can build your own bench for less than $100. I used simple 2x4's and a 4 foot long counter top from Lowes.

Drywall screws and Gorilla Glue can get alot done! B)

Just be sure to bolt the thing securely to the wall, and you'll have a great bench!

I bought my butcher block table at an unfinished furniture store. The price was very reasonable. I anchored it to the wall with a 2x4 screwed into the top and lag bolted to wall. The front legs are anchored to the floor with L brackets. It dosen't even wiggle while loading.

• 2 weeks later...
I just joined this fine forum tonight and just wanted to say Hi! I have been reading some posts and have learned quite a bit. I am not a competion shooter but I do shoot about 3 times a week. I have been shooting about 42 years so I am not new to firearms.

I especially like the section on the Dillon presses as I am in the market for a new one! I will most likely go with the RL550B. The old Rock Chucker is great but it is time for a change!!!

Ha if you go with the 650 you will find the it is much faster much faster and the cost is not much more

I've been thinking about this too. I've had my 550b for about 15yr now. The two calibre's I load most are hands down .45 ACP and .223 Rem. but I occasionally load others like 9mm, .380ACP, .308 Win. etc.... Often my calibre changes include changing the primer assy. from large to small or vise/versa. I find the nessisary adjustments enough of a headache, that I often procrastinate doing so. It would be very nice to have two machines, one set up for calibre's using large primers, and the other set up for calibres using small primers. Sometimes, I would really like the increased capacity of the 650 for my .45 production, but don't know if it's worth it, given I already have so much set up, and accessories for the 550b. If I do decide to do it, I'm leaning toward just getting another 550b.

I've been thinking about this too. I've had my 550b for about 15yr now. The two calibre's I load most are hands down .45 ACP and .223 Rem. but I occasionally load others like 9mm, .380ACP, .308 Win. etc.... Often my calibre changes include changing the primer assy. from large to small or vise/versa. I find the nessisary adjustments enough of a headache, that I often procrastinate doing so. It would be very nice to have two machines, one set up for calibre's using large primers, and the other set up for calibres using small primers. Sometimes, I would really like the increased capacity of the 650 for my .45 production, but don't know if it's worth it, given I already have so much set up, and accessories for the 550b. If I do decide to do it, I'm leaning toward just getting another 550b.

That is what I want to do, Two 550's, one set up for large and one set up for small primers.

But a 650 set up for 38 SC and have my 550 do everything else may be the Way. :unsure:

FM

Here is a photo of my tiny reloading room with my new Dillon RL550B set-up. As you can probably tell by the wall hangings and wall color I am also an avid Coca Cola collector!!!!

dsc01901pk3.jpg

I picked up a metal Craftsman work bench and it works quite well. It was sturdy from the git go but the extra weight of the reloading components on the bottom shelf and in the 3 drawers really helps also.