Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

185 Precision & Titegroup Major?

Bird_Dog0347

I have been loading to minor PF for a while now for IDPA, but I am about to start shooting more USPSA and I want to load to major for that. I am using TiteGroup and .40 185gr Precision bullets loaded to 1.175 for use in my 5in. STI. Currently I use 3.2gr of TG and that easily makes minor and cycles the slide well while throwing the brass pretty well. I do not have a chrono of my own, but I do know a lot of nice guys who will bring theirs to a match and let me test it out.

So, let me have your load for .40 with TG and 185gr Precisions loaded long please... FYI, I am in Dallas and the weather has been high 80's to mid 90's lately and I don't expect that to change until November when it will go from 95 degrees to 25 degrees overnight!

Thanks,

Nick

I have been loading to minor PF for a while now for IDPA, but I am about to start shooting more USPSA and I want to load to major for that. I am using TiteGroup and .40 185gr Precision bullets loaded to 1.175 for use in my 5in. STI. Currently I use 3.2gr of TG and that easily makes minor and cycles the slide well while throwing the brass pretty well. I do not have a chrono of my own, but I do know a lot of nice guys who will bring theirs to a match and let me test it out.

So, let me have your load for .40 with TG and 185gr Precisions loaded long please... FYI, I am in Dallas and the weather has been high 80's to mid 90's lately and I don't expect that to change until November when it will go from 95 degrees to 25 degrees overnight!

Thanks,

Nick

I'm in Wichita Falls, TX, not far from you..... 5" KKM barreled SV -

My Precison 185 load with 4.3 to 4.35 grains of Titegroup, OAL 1.90, and makes right at 169/170 PF, this summer.

4.2 grains in my gun usually puts me right at the ragged low edge of 165 pf, maybe as low as 160. You may get by with less powder than me as your OAL is shorter, and higher case pressures. I'd start at 4.1 or 4.2 and work up. YRMV.

Good Luck!

Edited by sfinney

I just started usning this load after using Zero 180's and VV320 for the past year or so..

My God...Much cheaper..1K rounds now only cost me about 75$ vs. 130$ with the Vit.

I use 4.35 gr. TG with the 185 out of 5"STI. Nice soft load and the site tracks so well. Really no smoke either. I'm getting 170 PF. With 4.2 gr and 1.2" OAL i was getting 167 PF, but just too close to 165..

My God...Much cheaper..1K rounds now only cost me about 75$ vs. 130$ with the Vit.

I'm gonna make the switch to the precision bullets as they're about $30/K less than the zeros I've been using. I was using TG with the zeros but after some extensive searching, it looked like 320 was a better way to go with the precisions due to the heat/smoke with TG and precision combo.

I guess I'll try both and see if I can tell a difference.

I was using N320 in 9mm for IDPA minor and it was a SWEET load with 3.25 VV N320 and a 147gr rainier at 1.145 OAL. I do think the N320 burns a lot cleaner and is only about $4 more per lb, so after I use up the rest of my TG I think I might switch back, less smoke, easier to clean. I think I will try 4.1-4.2 and see how it chrono's.

Thanks all.

I started using Titegroup, and it was too much smoke, after research, and a lot of questions I switch to WST. It works great, and a lot less smoke. It is right under N320 on the burn rate chart, and it recoils almost the same. It is a lot cheaper than N320 also. My load before switching to Black bullets was VV N320, and Zero JHP's. I am happy with black bullets, and WST.

185 Precision Black Bullet and 4.0 of TG in my Benny Hill Fat Free makes 170...and its a really really nice load..... :)

Posted by Merlin on Benny's box.....

My 6" fat free only needs 3.9grains of TG to make an average power factor of 167. When I did the statistics on the load, the extreme spread on a 25 round sample was 165PF to 169PF. With that load, my fat free shoots like a kitty kat.

You should only need 4.0grains in a 5inch to make 165, unless your barrel is screwy.

unless the gun wont feed factory(short) ammo, why load long? do you like wasting powder?

this 1.200 stuff was left over from the days of the old power factor and people using CLAYS..its simply not needed.

3.7 grains titegroup, 185 precision 1.135 oal federal 200 primer Glock 24 with KKM barrel..171 power factor.

harmon

unless the gun wont feed factory(short) ammo, why load long? do you like wasting powder?

this 1.200 stuff was left over from the days of the old power factor and people using CLAYS..its simply not needed.

3.7 grains titegroup, 185 precision 1.135 oal federal 200 primer Glock 24 with KKM barrel..171 power factor.

harmon

Yea and you shoot a Glock.... :D Totally different set of circumstances than the 1911/2011 gun.

For a 1911/2011 gun.... Longer than factory will load better and more reliable than stuff loaded to 1.135. I no longer load to 1.2+ but will not go shorter than 1.185 with a 1911/2011 pattern gun.

It's ok..... Merlin knows Harmon. ;);) He just likes to keep him on his toes. The wifey's Edge 'will' run the short ammo, but I load it longer 'just because'. :D

I did stop using Precision bullets with Titegroup,though.....too smokey for me.

-Mike

i believe al capizzo used precision 185s with titegroup at 4.2 grains and 1.160 oal in a 5 inch ed brown barreled para ordnance to make 176 power factor at the 05 limited nationals.

anyway, his gun would also run my glock ammo perfectly...so i assume alot of this "load em long!" is done for cool factor.

I plan on getting a 2011 limited gun..and since i would have both platforms, i would insist the STI be able to run SAAMI spec ammo.

Nick, you gonna be in waco this weekend?

Harmon

I don't make it down to Waco as it is a pretty far drive for me. I live in McKinney so I usually shoot in Greenville or Denton or Dallas. I will be at Elm Fork in Dallas for USPSA on Sunday, you should try to make it there. They also have USPSA there tomorrow Wed, Oct. 18th and I plan to be there as well.

As far as loading them long, mine does run better (more reliably) with longer ammo. But it will also run shorter ammo as well, I just have a FTF every now and then. Of course, I have not tested shorter ammo with the new Grams internals I put in my mags, so that might be something to try since my roommate shoots a G22 and I don't want to have to load his short and mine long if I don't have to.

~Nick

Edited by Bird_Dog0347