Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cabela's Store Prices Higher Than Catalog

Bill T

Just a note to let people know. I was at the new Phoenix Cabela's yesterday and bought some Mag Tech .45 ACP ammo and some Remington .45 cal. 405 Gr. JSP bullets, and when I got home I looked both items up in the 2006 Cabela's Shooting Catalog and found them to be cheaper then what they charged me in the store! I paid $11.00 for the .45 Auto and $17.50 for 100 Remington .45 bullets. The catalog had the Mag Tech .45 ACP for $9.99 and the bullets for $15.29. I went back and got a refund and bought more of the same. This isn't bait and switch, it's bait and screw. I found other ammo jacked up the same way. The guy who was stocking the shelves who I pointed this out to went and got the manager, (at least thats who I assumed he was), and both had concerned looks on their faces as I was checking prices and looking up stuff. If you go just be sure to take a copy of your Shooting Catalog with you. They can't advertise one price, then turn around and sell for another. Only if you don't catch them. Bill T.

I visited the store when they first opened and saw that they had a "sale" on Winchester White Box ammo for $14.99 a box for 9 mm. Funny how the same stuff could be bought at Walmart for $9.99.

You are much better off to buy from the catalogue.

The catalog won't have sales tax listed, any price in the catalog would need to have the sales tax added if they have a store in your state.

Wouldn't that effect the price ?

Nope. Prices in stored here in the US are marked "before tax" and tax is added at the register.

When buying from Cabela's, I look at it this way. If you go mail order from the catalog your not going to pay sales tax, but you will pay for shipping. If you buy directly from the store you eliminate the shipping, but have to eat the tax. Depending what and how much you buy it comes out tit for tat. But being as a lot of the in store prices are jacked up over what the catalog charges, you must be careful and compare prices on the shelf to the catalog price. For example the Remington .45-70 bullets I bought were priced at $17.49 per hundred on the shelf. In the 2006 Cabela's Shooting Catalog the exact same bullet were priced at $70.99 for 500, or $14.20 per 100. I bought 5 bags, (500), and pointed out the catalog price to the checkout girl who then got the manager who then rang them up at the $70.99 price. I ended up saving $16.46 on 500 bullets, or over 100 free compared to someone who just walked in and grabbed them off the shelf and paid without question. A lot of stuff they have is priced this way so always be sure to check. I'm quite certain this is the reason why they don't have catalogs at the front door for their customers. Bring your own, check before you buy and you'll save quite a bit. Bill T.

When I went to the Cabela's in TX (close to Austin) I asked how come the prices in the catalog are cheaper. He said it was because of the lack of expenses (employees etc.) but he added I have to pay shipping.

Next time I'll try that tactic of bringing in a catalog to get the cheaper price :)

Barry B)

I'd really like to know how much of a difference there is in the size of the staff of a retail location vs. a warehouse. I'd bet it isn't that much different.

You might have to look at the ratio of employees to transactions ----- I'm betting the warehouse guys will fill and ship more orders than their retail outlet brethren, who have to walk the customers around the store, answer their questions, straighten up the mess some customers leave behind, etc.

I noticed the same thing at Cabelas in PA --- not really a place to buy guns.....