Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20 In 40

thunderstick

I have an Olympic arms 40 conv barrel that I picked up at a gun show for $80 and it runs great and shoots good too. I reccomend it if you are looking to leave your brass at the range.. unless that is you wanna leave it at my range then feel free to use a 10mm :D

If you have any problems with feeding you could make your rounds longer like the guys that are running para 40's do sometimes. i have arredondo +5 exts. on my mags and can hold 21 in a reloadable mag!

PM me for more details or pics.

• 1 month later...

I know a guy that runs a lot of 40 ammo through a bone stock G20. The thing I don't like about it is that it leaves the round hanging on the extractor for firing rather than headspacing on the mouth of the case. It can't be good for accuracy or the throat of the barrel.

G'day Thunderstick and et al.,

I've got a Federal Arms conversion barrel that I run in my G20. I call it my G20/40 and runs quite satisfactory for what I use it for.

Since you ask, I've got some experiences to share. First, in my case I was fortunate that at under 50 meters both barrels shoot pretty much to the same point of aim. Yes, all you do is swap the barrels. The recoil spring and the mags are used with either caliber. I've not had this setup hang with any factory rounds. [i've just not purchased dies for 10mm / 40SW yet or have I purchased bullets either]

The recoil is pretty soft when using 40 SW in the conversion barrel. It also has a “funky” feel to it on occasions. I suspect when the round is forward biased in the magazine and the slide get an additional running start to it before it makes contact. It is sort of a intermediate clunk before it fully chambers. Again, when running factory ammo, I've not had any problems.

Additionally, there is a slight issue when using the 40SW in the 10 mm mags. If the rounds are slightly forward biased it is difficult to see them through the witness holes in the back of the mag. A properly oriented persuasive tap into the palm of your hand will usually settle them towards the rear so that you make use of those witness holes again.

Now as for running 40SW out of the standard 10mm barrel. Yes, it can be done. I've never had any of the rounds I've fired escape the hold of the extractor claw. If it did, it could be interesting! Might need to fish it out if it would not slide back on it's own. Racking the slide will probably do you no good as it will sink into the chamber quite a ways. That could be an issue if you wanted to get the gun back into action quickly.

I purchased the barrel principally out of safety as I wanted to maximize the amount of support. Also to minimize the amount of freebore the bullet would experience. I was motivated by a number of issues: 10mm is not cheap to shoot, but I've always wanted to own one and the opportunity presented itself. Also the conversion barrel was on sale at the time I was shopping around.

I still don't shoot this pistol as much as my other calibers, that may change once I'm willing to purchase the dies and bullets. This was a heck of a lot cheaper way for me to get a higher capacity major caliber launcher than the 1911 patterns. The cool part for me was that this setup works with all the holsters and mag holders I already had for my G21.

So there you have some additional information to consider. Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any other questions you might have. Best of luck in your research. Happy Holidays! Cheers!

load the .40 to a longer length, closer to the 10mm length, and you'll really have a soft shooting Glock. My buddy who owns a Brazos Limited gun in .40 compared my G20 to how his felt. He was more than shocked

I have a KKM .40 barrel for my G20 and it shoots the same ammo I use in my Edge. For local matches I bring my G20 in .40 as a backup and I don't need to bring different ammo. It will shoot regualr length ammo fine but it also shoots the 1.200" great also. Keeps things simple.

Neal in AZ

of course you don't have to, it was just a suggestion for those that reload and would like to try. I've shot factory .40 loads out of mine also but won't go back to them after shooting my longer reloads at major power factor

now if we could just get Kevin at kkm to make us a six inch barrel threaded with an exstention and a front sight notch milled in we could have a sight tracker type set up for the glock. nroi would probable shoot it down bumber. I think we would need 500 units made or something like that . that would shoot like butter.

johnnie

Edited by Mad Scientist