4.7 el prez

Steve Anderson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is reviving an old post, however.  IPSC G34 & I shot the IPSC match at the NRA HQ on Tuesday.  TJ was there and said he shot a 3.78 El Prez 3 pts down last month in a match.  That's smokin'!

There was a stage on Tuesday that had left to right a bowling pin, static, drop turner, static, & bowling pin.  You had to open a door to activate the drop turner and see the array.  TJ opened the door, came in on the left bowling pin and went left to right and still got his hits on the DT.  It was fun to watch.

Stupid Question... Can someone tell me what and IPSC El Prez is? I'm basically an IDPA shooter because that is what is local for me. When we shoot an El Prez the three targets are at 10 yards set at two yards apart. You start with you back to the targets and you have six rounds in the gun. You turn shoot two to each target, reload, and shoot two more to each target. So the reload is from slide lock. I generally don't count my time unless I shoot all A's. I've heard that in an IPSC El Prez the reload is not from slide lock. Anyway, could someone clarify this for me?

Thanks

There are a few other differences between the USPSA and IDPA El Prez. In USPSA you must start with your toes hard up against the back of a shooting box. The targets are set up at a consistent height all the way across, 5" tall at the shoulders, whereas in IDPA they're staggered (if memory serves me correctly), from left to right 6", then 4", then 5". In USPSA the distance between targets is only 1 yard. Because of their closer spacing, and especially because they're all set up at the same height, I find it's much easier to get a fast "sweep" of the three targets in USPSA than IDPA. The slidelock reload instead of a slide forward reload slows you down a bit as well.

If you want to know exactly how the USPSA El Prez is set up, click here:

http://uspsa.org/classifiers/cm99-11.gif

I'm not a math whiz, but I believe you're right:  the A-zone in USPSA is actually slightly larger, area-wise, than the IDPA down-0 circle. The A-zone is considerably taller, but also a bit narrower. As far as actual difficulty level I find they're about the same. Overall I'd say the IDPA down-0 circle set-up results in a "slower" target for most people, not because it's harder to hit on an empirical level but the knowledge that if you pull the shot slightly outside you've just added half a second to your time can be intimidating.

My best performance on the IDPA El Prez was 6.99 raw score, down one or two points, I can't remember which. How that happened was really kind of funny. As I was getting ready to shoot that string, the guy running the timer - who, God knows how, seems to have gotten the idea I'm a much better shooter than is actually the case - said to someone watching, "I'll bet THIS guy does it in about six seconds." Geez. And I was all set to just lope through with a semi-fast time and all the points. Well, you know after that I had to floor it. I literally don't think I could have done it any faster - and I was amazed the hits were, by and large, there. And my "fan" was happy when he checked the timer. At least it STARTED with a 6. ;)