Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Malfunction

TimBoettcher

OK, here is the problem. When shooting, sometimes (1 out of 20) the slide doesnt go into full lock up. It is approx. 1/8" out of battery. I have done everything with my loads and today I went to the range and I was doing reloads and the mag I inserted fell back out. I figured instead of unloading, I would just shoot it. I fired that round and that same thing happened with out a round in the chamber. In normal shooting I can push the slide shut "thumb it" sometimes on the heavy side. I did this same thing on an empty chamber. Anyone got any ideas??

Edited by TimBoettcher

How old is the gun? Or, more precisely, how old is the barrel in the gun?

A hard fit barrel will stop about where you say if the slight is closed slowly, with just a shake or nudge to see it fully close.

Thus, if it is a new gun, or newly fitted barrel, it could simply be the initial hard fit. A newly fitted barrel could also have some bind as the hood tries to finally seat in the slide.

Have you tried putting the slide stop pin through the link and seeing what sort of drag you have as the slide stop pin moves through the arc on the bottom lug? You can try this out of the gun, or in the frame (or both) to see if there is any bind.

You might also look to see where the disconnector is with respect to the cut-out in the slide when the slide fails to go into battery.

Guy

I am no Open gun guru (just started messing with one when my son started shooting open). My son was having the same problem with his gun. About every 20 rounds, the gun would not go completely into battery. I could not feel any resistance in the cycling - it just wouldn't go into battery. I started cycling it slowly and watching what was happening and noticed that every once in a while, the recoil plug was hitting the comp before it went into battery. So, I examined the plug and discovered that the recess in the slide was cut a little too deep and the plug was moving back and forth inside the recess. If I pushed the plug all the way in, where its shoulders would contact the slide, the plug would protrude about 1/16 of an inch beyond the opening of the slide. Apparently, it would move during firing and sometimes it would hit the comp before the gun was fully locked up. I could push the slide with my thumb and it would go fully into battery. Don't know if this was a manufacturing defect or not. I had a friend machine about 1/16 off of the front of the plug and it works fine. Perhaps the plug was made with the shoulders too short? I don't know. The gun is an STI with the one-piece barrel/comp.

Just something to check.

check the extractor, I had a similar problem with my Aftec extractor and I took out one of the springs and it worked like a charm.

With NO round in the gun? Meaning the gun malfunction as described with nothing at all in the gun.

How old is the gun? Or, more precisely, how old is the barrel in the gun?

A hard fit barrel will stop about where you say if the slight is closed slowly, with just a shake or nudge to see it fully close.

Thus, if it is a new gun, or newly fitted barrel, it could simply be the initial hard fit. A newly fitted barrel could also have some bind as the hood tries to finally seat in the slide.

Have you tried putting the slide stop pin through the link and seeing what sort of drag you have as the slide stop pin moves through the arc on the bottom lug? You can try this out of the gun, or in the frame (or both) to see if there is any bind.

You might also look to see where the disconnector is with respect to the cut-out in the slide when the slide fails to go into battery.

The gun is new, mabe 2000 rounds through, but it has really never ran good in that time. The link, as said before is oblong. has been replaced along with the slide stop.

Guy

I am no Open gun guru (just started messing with one when my son started shooting open). My son was having the same problem with his gun. About every 20 rounds, the gun would not go completely into battery. I could not feel any resistance in the cycling - it just wouldn't go into battery. I started cycling it slowly and watching what was happening and noticed that every once in a while, the recoil plug was hitting the comp before it went into battery. So, I examined the plug and discovered that the recess in the slide was cut a little too deep and the plug was moving back and forth inside the recess. If I pushed the plug all the way in, where its shoulders would contact the slide, the plug would protrude about 1/16 of an inch beyond the opening of the slide. Apparently, it would move during firing and sometimes it would hit the comp before the gun was fully locked up. I could push the slide with my thumb and it would go fully into battery. Don't know if this was a manufacturing defect or not. I had a friend machine about 1/16 off of the front of the plug and it works fine. Perhaps the plug was made with the shoulders too short? I don't know. The gun is an STI with the one-piece barrel/comp.

Just something to check.

The plug is tight!

I think that the way to follow is the way that Matt showed in his post. Or may be the extractor no others matter. Do you use only new brass?

I have used both, I have narrowed it down to the link, slidestop, barrel and slide relationship. I'll find out tonight when I get it looked at by Doug.

Thank you very much for all your help guys! It is very cool that you all took the time to answer the posts!!!

• 3 weeks later...