Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Dogs On The Range

shred

A few years ago we had 2 teenage girls come down the ridge at the end of the range.That could have been tragic.We have a fence and no tresspassing/warning signs posted but they were running away from an abusive father.

That is so unbelievable. That dog is so lucky!!! It's one thing to bring the dog to the range if he is on a leash but not to roam freely during a match. Talk about a recipe for disaster!!!

That dog is lucky he didn't run to the left and get shot. I can't even imagine.

scout, did it once at the river city halloween match. i was the shooter and was running down range only to have him pass me. i yelled at him to go back he did, and the run continued like nothing happened. i kept waiting for the ro to stop me but he didn't, so i kept shooting. needless to say it never happened again. he was 1 or 2 at the time, he is now almost 9.

trapr

Nice "Dog On the Range" video. Our local clubs have loose dogs at the range all the time but we don't seem to have much of a problem with them.

However, my dog once shut down a stage at USPSA nationals. Sue and I were working as ROs on stage 10 of the '02 nationals (it was in Bend, OR) and during our lunch break we took the three dogs for a walk and then put them back in their crates in the van for the afternoon. Since it was hot we kept the big sliding door of the van open to keep the van cool.

Somehow our Rottie's crate door didn't get latchded properly and when he realized it was open he went "walkies". The next thing we knew Tom Chambers, the range master, was hauling "Wurzel" along the road to our stage very red and very angry saying "Sue, is this your dog?!!!" Seems he strolled right our in the middle of a stage and stopped all the action. The situation was complicated by the fact that "Wurzel" was stone deaf. So now you have a 100lb Rottie roaming the stage and completely ignoring averyone. They must have thougt he had a lot a attitude because no one would catch hold of him. They just waited for Tom.

The fact is "Wurzel" was about the gentlest, dumbest, kindest dog you could imagine. He now rests at one of the nicest shooting ranges in California on a ridge overlooking a fine portion of the central valley.

Dave Benzick