Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Xd .45

Owen Sparks

Is an XD in .45 acp REALLY competitive? The few I have handeled were badly in need of a trigger job to fix the egregeous amount of trigger overtravil. Other than that, practically everything on the internet blogs lauds them as accurate and reliable. I have been plagued with 1911 functioning problems all summer plus having to shoot against high capacity glocks. Should I buy one of these and spring for a triger job?

OS

Edited by Owen Sparks

• 2 weeks later...
I think they make a great L10 gun. Once you fix the trigger and sight they are awesome. Very ell balanced and easy to shoot.

I've been doing lots of them lately, even a few for USPSA shooters, but they are a great gun for the money.

Scott put a 3 lb. trigger and DP F.O. sights on my XD. His service, quality, and turn around time are excellent.

By the way, is it just me or are others having problems with the slide not locking back on a empty mags? Best regards, ELN.

By the way, is it just me or are others having problems with the slide not locking back on a empty mags? Best regards, ELN.
I did the second time I had my XD9 out. Make sure your thumb isn't riding the slide release. Not sure if that was my problem since I haven't tried to reproduce it, but 800 rounds later and no more issues.

I intend to shoot my XD45 in IDPA CDP and maybe L-10.

But I would highly suggest getting the trigger and sights done.

I just got mine back from Canyon Creek and I can not even begin to tell you how good it feels. (3.5 lb trigger and a Dawson .100 x .170 FO front with a Heinie Slant Pro Rear)

As for the slide not locking back, your thumb could be on the slide catch or the followers in the mag may not be coming up all the way.

I've gotten used to my slides not locking open because of my thumb on the slide catch.

As for the slide not locking back, your thumb could be on the slide catch or the followers in the mag may not be coming up all the way.

I've gotten used to my slides not locking open because of my thumb on the slide catch.

It could easily be that my 1911 thumbs are in contact with the XD slide stop. I'll check next time it happens. By the way, I concur that the XD is an excellent value, albeit with sucky sights and trigger. ELN

I had the same issue with a HS2000. Remember those? Same gun just $150 cheaper. Gun shop owner gave me one to shoot in IDPA when they first came out. Handled great except for one thing. My thumb rested on top of the slide release. Slide would not lock back. I looked at one of the 5" .45ACP models - same problem.

If they would move the slide release forward about 1/2" I would buy one.

+1 on the CC work. Rich is top notch on trigger work and general pistol smithing.

Your XD would make an awesome L-10 pistola. I use my XD-9 for Production. I have a single stack Springer Black Stainless that I use for L-10 and SS. However, if the XD-45 had been available when I bought the Black Stainless, I may have gone the XD route. Of course, I love my Black Stainless too.

I had the same issue with a HS2000. Remember those? Same gun just $150 cheaper. Gun shop owner gave me one to shoot in IDPA when they first came out. Handled great except for one thing. My thumb rested on top of the slide release. Slide would not lock back. I looked at one of the 5" .45ACP models - same problem.

If they would move the slide release forward about 1/2" I would buy one.

If your thumb is hitting the slide release, you might take a look at your grip. Your weekhand should keep your thumb off the release.

Scott put a 3 lb. trigger and DP F.O. sights on my XD. His service, quality, and turn around time are excellent.

Thanks for the kind words.

You might try new extra power mag springs if it keeps up and you aren't riding the slide.

Are the stock sights really that bad for casual Production class use?

Methink yes. I think they are horrible. But then again I think a good sight picture is important. The hardest thing about trying to shoot A's with the stock sights is how fat the front sight is. You can swap out the FS with a Dawson that work ok for cheap, or just get the fixed set and have a nice set of sights that will take you as far as you want.

Are the stock sights really that bad for casual Production class use?

By casual, do mean that you just want to shoot something or do you want to be somewhat competitive. If you just plan to have fun & don't care about finishing in the middle of the pack or lower, then the original sights are fine. The original 3 dots sights are terrible & only lasted on my XD's until I could get them to Scott (Thanks L2S) for replacement. But sights are secondary to a clean smooth trigger and gunsmiths like Scott & Rich can make an XD fun to shoot. Of course you could always just buy the custom shop USPSA version from Springfield for about $1600 with all the bells & whistles.

Actually I bought my XD45 Service because we have a concealed carry match every year and they love 8 round arrays with steel and my carry gun was a Colt Officer model.

I don't think anything is wrong with my grip. It is the typical thumb over thumb grip. The slide release rests right under my thumb.

There was a link to the Todd Jarrett video on Goggle & he talked about the grip & having the weak hand thumb opposite the extended trigger finger. Might try getting the thumb closer to the take down lever.

Don't see how I can change my grip very much. If I lower my weak thumb very much it gets in the way of my trigger finger.

Your left hand is way too low, and your wrist is not locked forward. You are getting a fraction of the strength that you would that you can get with a good grip.

videocap_28.jpg

See here. Paralell with the bottom of the slide, locked forward.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

That's not exactly how I hold the gun while shooting. That was an old picture I had sent my sister to give her an idea of what a thumb over thumb grip was. Some moron had told her to put her left thumb behind the slide.

My wrists are pretty straight when shooting. I have shot a match with Dave Sevigny. I have seen the high weak hand style he uses. It did not work for me. I really don't have any issues controlling the gun using my grip.

Edited by Joe D

• 1 month later...

Loves2shoot & others,

I am considering getting a production gun. I shoot Revo & L-10 now.

Any thoughts about which XD? I have been weighing between the XD and the M&P, but in side by side I could shoot the XD better.

Everything I have is .45 acp so I planned to continue and use the XD for production and L-10. Since I am new to plastic is my thinking hosed up?

For production is this flawed thinking that the .45 can be competitive against the 9 or 40? I was thinking that I might be held back by mag capacity.

Loves2 - What type of work is available to be done to the XD to bring it to Class A level shooting. I live 15 miles from Springfield Armory and shoot with some of the custom shop guys. Those guys have to be somewhat liablility oriented.

Thanks guys.

Thanks Scott, and everyone else.

I haven't actually cracked the green book to read up on production. Didn'nt know about the 10 shot rule.

Does anyone shoot major, or does everyone download and shoot minor? Or some of both.

As I said my goal was to have one ammo for all guns. At least that part of my shooting life can be stable.