Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want To Hear About The Witness Limited Gun

Resjudicata

Anybody have one and use one?

Did you have to do any work to it other than getting the mag extensions to make it ready for Limited?

Anybody know of any shops or online dealers who carry them/have access to them?

Thanks,

Chris

BTW, yes I know that everyone uses STI Edge etc for Limited. However, I like the CZ type trigger and grip. So sue me. :)

Edited by Resjudicata

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find spare parts etc. from EAA, Henning also carries the parts. Tanfoglio are working on 140mm and 170mm magazines so in the meantime you would just need the extended base pads. The triggers are pretty good out of the box.

There are three shooters in Eastern Colorado that use them, two of them are at Nationals as we speak. One is Henning Walgren.

Henning Shoots Guns.com

You can find spare parts etc. from EAA, Henning also carries the parts. Tanfoglio are working on 140mm and 170mm magazines so in the meantime you would just need the extended base pads. The triggers are pretty good out of the box.

There are three shooters in Eastern Colorado that use them, two of them are at Nationals as we speak. One is Henning Walgren.

Henning Shoots Guns.com

I met Henning at Area 3. Yes, he seems to do alright with his. :) He told me about the new .40's being the wide body .38/.45 frame now so it is possible to get 20 rounds in a 140mm mag. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him about it for long.

The CZ TS is okay but for the same money the Witness seems to come more complete and ready for Limited Division except the mags. The CZ still needs Angus's hammer/sear, mag well, grips and bigger safety.

Although, from the sounds of the scuttlebutt online I would rather deal with the CZ guys for help than the EAA guys. But then, nobody's perfect. :D

Chris

I've had a chance to shoot a couple of these guns, and I have gone ahead and ordered one. This type of gun suits me better than the S*I guns, and no, they don't require anything to make them ready for Limited Division competition. They are ready to go out of the box.

Thanks for the info guys. One more question:

It looks like the website lists the barrel as polygonal like the Match gun. Is it true that you can't use lead or coated lead in polygonal barrels? I've heard of this with regard to factory Glock barrels. The reason I ask is that the Precision coated lead bullets are much cheaper around here than jacketed.

Thanks,

Chris

Is it true that you can't use lead or coated lead in polygonal barrels?

I just checked Eric Grauffel's web-forum (Eric Grauffel.com) and he mentions that he shoots lead in practice for Standard division. The Tanfoglio Standard is the same gun as Witness Standard.

So you should be okay :D

Edited by BritinUSA

Is it true that you can't use lead or coated lead in polygonal barrels?

I just checked Eric Grauffel's web-forum (Eric Grauffel.com) and he mentions that he shoots lead in practice for Standard division. The Tanfoglio Standard is the same gun as Witness Standard.

So you should be okay :D

Thanks for the info BritinUSA.

Chris

It looks like the website lists the barrel as polygonal like the Match gun. Is it true that you can't use lead or coated lead in polygonal barrels? I've heard of this with regard to factory Glock barrels. The reason I ask is that the Precision coated lead bullets are much cheaper around here than jacketed.

Thanks,

Chris

You can shoot anything including lead. The issue with the Glock Barrels wasn't the polygonal rifling; it was the way the chamber was cut. I plan to shoot plated bullets since they are only slightly more expensive than lead, but they don't smoke and won't poison you to death when you shoot indoors (winter).

Thanks,

Chris

In Italy there is Adriano Santarcangelo that shoot in Standad Division with Limited Custom alias witness. He is one of the best top shooters in the World (just to know he won the last edition of the European Championship and at the last W.S. XIV° he finished 4° in general classification). Well he shoot with lead bullets because the Tanfoglio has NO POLYGONAL barrel but SEMI-POLYGONAL BARREL and the lead bullets work fine with this kind of barrel that are lesser "aggressive" on the bullets. He prefere to shoot with bullets very heavy 213/215 grs.

You have find the way to save much money :D;)

Thanks,

Chris

In Italy there is Adriano Santarcangelo that shoot in Standad Division with Limited Custom alias witness. He is one of the best top shooters in the World (just to know he won the last edition of the European Championship and at the last W.S. XIV° he finished 4° in general classification). Well he shoot with lead bullets because the Tanfoglio has NO POLYGONAL barrel but SEMI-POLYGONAL BARREL and the lead bullets work fine with this kind of barrel that are lesser "aggressive" on the bullets. He prefere to shoot with bullets very heavy 213/215 grs.

Thanks for the reply Josh.

Are the 2011 type limited/standard guns available in europe? I was just wondering if the Tanfoglio is the only gun of that type available to the european shooters.

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Are the 2011 type limited/standard guns available in europe? I was just wondering if the Tanfoglio is the only gun of that type available to the european shooters.

Chris

STI's are in Europe. There is actually a STI Euro Team led by Saul Kirsch. They have Gregory Midgely who is a great Standard shooter.

There were 3 tanfoglio shooters at Limited/Limitd 10 nationals. I think all of us were jam free, i know henning and i were.

All i did was add CPMI base pads for my limited gun, i have one and love it. if you are at any matches i will be attending let me know and i will bring one you can shoot.

as for getting one sometiems there is a bit of a wait. there is one on www.gunbroker.com or at www.gunsamerica.com for under 700 i heard..

as for precision bullets the 40's work just fine in tanfoglios and glock (bob vogel their top shooter shoots them in a glock barrel and he shoots a LOT) <actually i'm on his computer right now> he said he cleans it about every 500 rounds and has never had any accuracy problems. .

I totally agree they feel much more natural in my hand than an STI does. unless i modify the STI grips. Not to mention they are half the price :) If there is anything i can do to help just call or email me any time.

Answered my own question with a quick email to Henning. Henning's not an FFL....yet. I hope that changes, I'd like to give him my business.

Any feedback on spare parts for the Tangfolio besides the obvious? Anybody ever worn out a barrel on one? Are barrels a drop-in deal or highly-fitted?

Also, according to Henning, 21 round mags are on the way. Not sure when - but I hope it's soon. This platform is looking better by the minute. The U.S. factory support seems to be incredible. They sell parts direct to the user with no fussing. And they were very forthcoming with their "we keep all parts in stock." Sounds like EAA wants people to compete with their pistol and will support them in doing so. What a refreshing change. :)

I'm running out of reasons not to race a Tangfolio in 2007...

Edited by EricW

I was amazed at how cheap the parts are compared to the STI/SVI platform. I bought some extra bits and pieces for the range bag from EAA, before I realised Henning stocked them. I could have saved on the postage :(

I got a spare extractor and spring, spare firing pin and spring and a few spare roll-pins, and a slide stop and firing pin stop plate and trigger spring. The whole lot came to about $60 or something like that.

And magazines are about $30... complete not just the tubes.

I'm running a Sprinco in mine at the moment and liking it a lot. Just not sure if I prefer the 10lb recoil spring or the 12lb... decisions, decisions...

Maybe EAA will sponsor a team like they did in the early 1990's, I think Brian used to be on the team if memory serves.

Basically, I figure I can have a match gun, practice gun to pound on, a whole buttload of mags and spare parts and still be waaay ahead of the STI platform. Hell, I can basically buy a new gun every season, sell the old one and come out ahead.

And honestly, price isn't the reason I want to switch. I think the Tangfolio is going to be much more hand-friendly and that's going to keep me practicing. It's nice to see a company with an "off the shelf" product who really wants to support competitors too.

If your moving from a 1911 you will notice less muzzle-flip with the Tanfoglio. The slide cycles so fast and sits lower in the frame so second shots are noticeably faster.

I found that it fits my hand so much better than a 1911. It is heavier but for me that seems to work better.

If your moving from a 1911 you will notice less muzzle-flip with the Tanfoglio. The slide cycles so fast and sits lower in the frame so second shots are noticeably faster.

I found that it fits my hand so much better than a 1911. It is heavier but for me that seems to work better.

Ditto.

If you can't find a dealer that will get you a good price on the gun. Drop me an email and I will see what I can do there is a dealer I work closely with.

Your dealer can send an FFL to EAA direct and order guns.

As for sponsoring a team, I really hope so they are sponsoring henning. They are awesome pistols I wish there could have been a booth at Nationals this year so folks could hold them.

Anyone who is shooting IDPA nationals, Tulsa W.PA section or Ohio section that wants to hold or test fire one of the guns let me know i'll be there and have all but the Open gun.

Best I can do is $779 and I don't know if that's good or bad because I have nothing to pace it against.

The only thing I don't like is the wait. But 2 weeks to 40 days still beats the crap out of 6 to 18 months.

Edited by EricW

Good to see I'm not the only one who like these guns. Though folks around here think I'm a bit odd anyway. :P

The one on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica for about $600 is the old narrow frame gun. That's the one with CZ75 size mags. I already emailed the seller.

From what I've seen so far about $840 plus shipping is the lowest price I've found. Though regardless I'd rather buy it from someone on here than an unknown person on the web.

I'm still looking to order one at the end of this month if I can find one. (Also assuming that I get the money from the buyer of my P7 I'm using to finance this little upgrade).

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

Hi Chris,

apologize me for delay in my answer.

Of course in Italy we have STI,SVI, SPS, Limcat, STS, ADC all guns based on 2011 system, and you can be sure that the Tanfoglio for limited/standard and open have SEMI- polygonal barrel for it look at the website www.tanfoglio.it to check it.

regards

josh