Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Setup For Beginner

Slip_Hammer

I'm thinking about buying a single shot H&R in .308 (ultra hunter) with a Super Sniper 10-x42 scope.

I have zero experience with long range rifle shooting. I'm just looking for something basic/cheap, so I can get used to shooting (and loading) .308 at some distance, using a mil-dot scope, etc. I have a 600 yard range nearby, and 1,000 yard range a little farther away.

I have an H&R plinker in .17 rimfire that I love to shot, and it's pretty acurate for what it is, so I thought this might work.

What do you think? Is this enough to learn the basics on, or would I be better off spending a few hundred more on something like a Savage 10fp?

Thanks for your advice.

Rob

Get something that has a blind magazine at the very least and the capability for bottom metal later if at all possible. A Savage is a good starter, but a Remy 700 is a better starter. The Remy can be re-barrelled and dropped into a lot of stock options later versus the Savage. I would get a 700 in .308 to start with.

Don't bother spending on a cheap scope versus a Leupold at the very least. I tried a hunnert dollar BSA for kix and it was so bad that it's out in back with the beer cans now. I do not think the SS will be much better ;-/

I settled on a Leupold VariX III in 3.5x10 for the time being and find it acceptable for MOR out to 6-700 yards.

I'm just starting out in this too.... from what I've read, been told, most guys seriously into MOR or longe range rifle would probably think the Savage is ultra low buck and minimum entry into the game..... the H&R with a Super Sniper on it is kinda like putting a supercharger on a Yugo. For the cheapest rifle, I'd go with one of the Savages with a Choate, McMillan, or HS Precison stock, and the Super Sniper is probably the best bang for the buck in optics..... that would be a good start. Don't skimp on rings and bases as well.

I'd skip the H&R, IMO. And if you're really on a budget, think about .223, its cheaper to shoot and good out to 600 yds in most cases.

EDITED: What George said. My "starter stick" is a 700P in .308, and I may add detachable mags later, or a new stock... so many options!

Edited by sfinney

I don't know what your definition of cheap is, but you can build a pretty nice rifle complete with optics, for under $1k.

Poke around the pawnshops/ gun shows for a used Remmy, I sell Remmy 700 SA all the time for around $300-$400. The stock remington trigger can be adjusted to a pretty clean 3lb break (for free, if you are industious with a screwdriver and some fingernail polish). If you get a 700 ADL or BDL (most common ones that you see) you can bed the action your self for not a lot of money (like $30).

The Super Sniper should work fine (you got it, so it is free for the time being). Use it until you are ready to drop some real cheese on a Mark 4 or a Night force, or a S&B/USO class scope, depends how long you save ;)

Rings and base can be done well for around $100. Look at TPS rings, Farrel 20MOA base, maybe Warne Tactical.

If you are patient, there is used stuff popping up all the time for real good deals on places like BE.com, snipershide, rimfire.com etc.

So: $400 used 700+$100 rings/base + $30 bedding + $2 fingernail polish= $532 for a good shooter.

As you go, you can rebarrel, retrigger, blueprint the action, restock, rescope, etc. one step at a time.

The Remmy 700 has more options than any other route, thats a fact

I'd go with a 700 over a Savage solely due to the Savage's current lack of a widely available detachable mag system. A DM system is a VERY important feature in MOR and in some precision rifle matches. The Savage's lack of a tested and a widely available DM system is a big check mark against it.

For the scope the SS has a good reputation. But if I was in your shoes I'd chance it and go with a relative unknown in the lower end and get a Mueller.

http://www.snipercentral.com/shop/product_...?products_id=32

http://muelleroptics.com/products/MTAC31044.html

The Mueller allows you to dial it down a bit on the closer MOR stages and gives you the same 10X ability for the longer range stages.

Well, I broke down and ordered a 700 SPS today. Turns out Davidson's has a sale going on, so that was enough to push me over the edge. That, and the fact that this action will give me more options down the line.

Can I get a second opinion on the Mueller scope? Seems like a good deal if it's made well.

If not the Mueller, any other recomendations for a sub-$500 scope? (sub-$300?) I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but I really need this whole package to cost under a grand.

One more thing, can someone point me toward some good instructions for breaking in the barrel?

Thanks a million for all the help

Rob

Edited by Slip_Hammer

Here's a second opinion for ya on the Mueller's... they suck. I have one of the 8.5-25x44mm AO mil-dot's and if anything, it's a step *down* from the Tasco I have on one of my ground squirrel guns.

Get the SS. If you want a variable... Weaver V16 (4-16x42mm) w/ duplex reticle, or a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x side focus. Both down in the same price range, and they don't suck (I have two V16's, two SS's, and a friend has several Nikon Buckmasters, so I have played w/ these as well).

As far as breaking in the barrel... I honestly don't think I'd bother w/ a factory tube. Go shoot the piss out of it in practice, clean it when you're done or when you think you notice the accuracy declining (and are *sure* it isn't the nut behind the trigger causing it).

YMMV,

Monte

Edited by milanuk

Go to Sniper's Hide and check out the posts on the Mueller. BTW the TACII and the scope that Milanuk is pissing on are different models.

http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb....t=004331#000000

http://www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/...c;f=19;t=004633

http://www.snipercentral.com/muellertac2.htm

Mebbe so. Then again, lots of people like Sightron scopes... and I haven't got much good to say about the one(s) I have laid hands on. To each their own...

Speaking of which... I can't see the point of a $300 scope w/ fixed parallax set @ 100yds, personally. Weaver V16... adjustable objective, $290. Nikon Buckmaster... side focus, $290. SS10X42... side or rear focus, depending on model, $300 and probably the toughest of the bunch by far. If you don't think the parallax adjustment matters... well, it's your money, not mine.

YMMV,

Monte

the Nikons that milanuk mentioned are good and reasonably priced. I don't know exactly what kind of set up you are trying to get setup, but as far as a good price and good optics you might want to look at the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope, you get knobs, good variable spread and Burris has really good glass in my opinion. SWFA has them for under $400

Burris 4.5-14*42 fulfield II tactical

I like Burris, and never have been disappointed for the price.

Burris 4.5-14*42 fulfield II tactical

I like Burris, and never have been disappointed for the price.

Thanks Malak, I did look at that scope and have also heard good things about Burris. It doesn't look like you can get that one with a mil-dot reticle though, which is one of the main reasons I'm doing all this (to learn how to use it).

I wound up ordering the Nikon. I'm a little worried about the size of the knobs. Their website says they're "hand adjustable", "positive click", etc., but they look kind of small in the pictures. Anyway, the fact that it's a variable power and has a side focus/paralax adj. for less than the Super Sniper made me think it's worth a try.

Since I saved a little on the scope, I splurged a little and bought the Badger 20moa base. I figured I may change a lot about this rifle down the line, but the base will probably be on there for life, so why not get the best.

So, the whole thing came in right at a grand (just a couple bucks over), and I really think I have a nice setup to start with. Thanks again to everyone that offered advice.

Now all I have to do is put it all together and figure out how to shoot it...

Rob

I have scopes from Nightforce, Leupold, Weaver and a Super Sniper. The SS is a very good scope for the money. Mine has seen service on a Remington 700 and an AR-15.

It is a bright scope that holds zero. It is not as nice as the NF or Leupold but it did not cost anywhere near as much. It is a good scope for the beginning shooter on a budget.

The Ultimate Low Cost MOR starter rifle...

CZ with import HQ in Missouri has a Model called the 550 Varmit. It comes in .308 win and 22-250. It is based on a Mauser action. the really nice part is that the action and medium heavy barrel is bedded in an H-S Precision Kevlar stock and it has drop free detachable mags that come in 4 and 10 round capacities for about $48.00 ea. for the 10 rounders. To get a Remmy or any other rifel up to these specs you are gong to have to spend a ton more. Chech out www.CZusa.com and your local dealer for prics that shoud be be in the $700.-800 range plus some mags.

My 550 .308 Varmit shoots 1 hole groups at 100 yards with handloaded 155 Palma bullets.

Scopes for USPSA MOR and really long range, 1000 yard shooting .... I think one of the most critical factors in the selection a scope is the range of adjustment or the Elevation and to a slightly lesser degree the range of windage adjustment. Why is this important? Most hunting scopes for example, will not let you crank in enough elevation to get a 168 grain .308 win bullet out to 700-1,000 yards! Go to the manufacurer's web sites for the scopes that you are interested in and check the scope's specifications. you'll want to have 80 to 100 and over MOA of adjustment range. certain Leupold Tactical and LR scopes have this as do the Night Force models.

Happy scope hunting ..

Darrell

• 3 months later...

OK after reading this post I may have f'd up but I think I got a good deal on a bolt rifle to start this MOR LR shooting stuff. I bought a LNIB Savage FP10 .308 w/ accu trigger and Leupold VX III with weaver 2 piece base and rings. It has a 20" barrel. Not a bad rifle, ...right? Anyway.........I'm thinking of a muzzle break and was wondering if there are any non thread on brakes out there. I bought 1 for my Bushy .223 that is held on with set screws and dimples in the barrel (of course I don't remember from where or even what model)

Nick

Ifn'ya want a muzzle brake that will stop that suckah' in it's tracks, get a JP Rifles Tank style brake. Nothing, and I repeat NOTHING works like this baby with a large caliber rifle.

The other plus is that when you visit the public range with a JP Tank Brake on a large caliber rifle, you get a pretty wide berth on either side after a couple rounds :P The shooter is in a dead zone behind the JP and doesn't get blasted like the bystanders do. Another plus is that it also keeps the RO's from breathing down your neck <_<

I'm thinking about buying a single shot H&R in .308 (ultra hunter) with a Super Sniper 10-x42 scope.

Your best bet would be to get a 700Police and the super sniper 10x42. That setup would cost you <$1000 and would be competitive with the best out there.

I'm not crazy about the Super Sniper scopes, but they are the biggest bang for the buck and are built like a brick.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a write up I did on a Cheap , custom rig that will get you going in MOR .

Due to recent budget deficits at my house I was forced to sell my beloved GAP rifle .

My wife was quite insistent that I put aside some money and get a rifle that will get me through until I can afford to build another dream rifle . With that in mind I started thinking about the new Stevens 200 rifles and what a good starting point it would make for an inexpensive rifle build . To that end I went to my local Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a .243 version of the Stevens 200 that just so happened to be on Sale so I walked out the door new rifle in hand for $259.05 . The plan is to use Dads new machine shop and some Value priced quality parts to put together a rifle that will run with the "Big Boys" on a budget just about anyone can afford .

First things first Dad and I built our own barrel vise on his mill and removed the barrel .

454650.jpg

Then it was off for home to put some ads up on the Internet . I sold the barrel for 65 bucks plus shipping and the stock for 41 bucks plus shipping which means my action cost me a grand total of 153.05 . Below you will find a parts list of the pieces I put together for my build along with prices that include shipping .

Rifle-259.05

Seekins Scope Base-85.00

SSS competition trigger-87.25

Lothar Walther prefit barrel in .308-282.50

Recoil Lug from Stockade-32.00

HS Precision Take Off Stock-225.00

Wheeler Engineering Barrel Wrench-41.79

With the sale of the barrel and stock this brings my grand total to 906.59 thus far .

Here are the pics of the finished product . I still need to bed it and mount my scope but for under a Grand I have a complete custom that I built myself . I will post some pics of how it groups when I get a chance to take it to the range .

457554-big.JPG

457556-big.JPG

Edited by paraman1