Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Presidents Medals

Steve Moneypenny

Looking at other places and on the IPSC site, There are numerous presidents medals for awards at level 3 and above. For instance Targeting Education match was an IPSC level 3 match. I think medals would be a lot more cool/prestigious than a plaque. (take up less wall space too :) )

So why don't we do them more in the US?

just thinking too much late at night I guess.

Looking at other places and on the IPSC site, There are numerous presidents medals for awards at level 3 and above. For instance Targeting Education match was an IPSC level 3 match. I think medals would be a lot more cool/prestigious than a plaque. (take up less wall space too :) )

So why don't we do them more in the US?

just thinking too much late at night I guess.

I like both. I enjoy my plaques and I only have 2 medals but I agree with you Steve they are great bling to have. Steve, didn't you win Production at the T.E. match? I may be wrong but I believe Jeff had medals for Division winners. I don't mean to speak for Jeff so you may want to ask him. I don't believe they had them for class winners, just Division winners. I do agree that medal are nice. I personally am greedy and would like to see them all have the match, date, class, and division engraved on them though.

Hey Guys,

Targeting Education was a dual sanctioned USPSA / IPSC match (last year to do it as such with the new rules changes). Therefore, I received the 5 division medals from IPSC for OVERALL in division AND the 23 medals from USPSA for class AND DIVISION (provided there are at least 5 competitors). HOWEVER, there was a slight mix-up, and the USPSA medals got shipped to the wrong address, so I just received them. I will be distributing them to people as I see them, and only shipping what is absolutely necessary. The match budget was closed out some time ago, so it will come out of my pocket, as I already turned the proceeds over to the school. The medals were SUPPOSED to go out with the plaques, but since I didn't have both sets, they didn't (the USPSA medals are the lions share). Apologies for the delay...I will look for a hubcap size medal for Production-Master Steve, so he can sport his bling at the Ohio Match. B)

Jeff, Let me know and I will send you shipping money.

I have never even seen one of these medals lessalone win one. Does USPSA and IPSC look alike?

They're pretty cool actually. They are about 2 inches in diameter, gold, and emblazoned with either the IPSC logo, or the USPSA logo. The IPSC ones have a purple ribbon, and the USPSA ones have a black ribbon. As for shipping costs, don't worry, a generous (wishing to remain annonomous) donor has said he will take care of it for the match. IPSC/USPSA shooters are the best!!! :wub:

Jeff

What's the deal with President's Medals, anyway? When I was a newbie I was told that they were sent from USPSA for winners at all major matches. Obviously that's not the case... in fact I've seen very few of them over the years despite attending lots of majors. Are they an optional thing that can be ordered from Sedro Woolley, or what? It seems like if they're the one "official" standard USPSA award, they ought to be given out at all area matches, at least.

• 4 weeks later...

It's very hard to believe that even though there were 23 USPSA Presidents Medals available to be handed out to division & class winners, that someone can be 98% of the match winner in Production, and be 1st A Class shooter, and still not get a Presidents Medal. <_<

I understand not getting a plaque since they cost allot to get made. But how much do the Presidents Medals cost ??? Dosen't Sedro simply hand them out as necessary?

United States Practical Shooting Association

Michael Voigt, President

Dave Thomas, Executive Director

Dear Match Director,

Enclosed are the Presidentail Medals for the area championship or tournament you will be conducting in the near future. The medals are to be awarded to the match winner, each class winner (Master through D) and winners of the Women, Junior, super Senior, and Senior categories. There are a total of 23 medals and ribbons enclosed; 10 for Open, 10 for Limited and 3 medals and ribbons for Limited-10. Production, and Revolver overall winners if you are recognizing those divisions. Please return any unused medlas promptly after your match.

Please contact me if you have any further questions regarding distribution of these medals.

Sincerely,

Kimberley williams

NROI Coordinator

USPSA Natinals/Sponsor Coordinator

One more reason why folks shooting Production should be highly offended. We like to tell everyone that Production is an "entry-level division", and that they can be competitive with a box-stock gun, and that they aren't competing against the match winner, just those in their respective class.

But Sedro is saying go ahead and win your class, and take home some satisfaction. But if you want a medal you got to swim in the LARGE POND ...... sink or swim. :o

I did exactly that at the 2006 FLA OPEN because the only divisions with cash prizes were OPEN & LTD. But now I see that it goes way beyond prizes. :(

What a joke.

One more reason why folks shooting Production should be highly offended. We like to tell everyone that Production is an "entry-level division", and that they can be competitive with a box-stock gun, and that they aren't competing against the match winner, just those in their respective class.

But Sedro is saying go ahead and win your class, and take home some satisfaction. But if you want a medal you got to swim in the LARGE POND ...... sink or swim. :o

I did exactly that at the 2006 FLA OPEN because the only divisions with cash prizes were OPEN & LTD. But now I see that it goes way beyond prizes. :(

What a joke.

Chris,

I feel your pain, and I share a lot of the same sentiments (even though it hasn't affected me as much in Revolver, or for obvious reasons Single Stack). If you look at the match participant breakdown for Targeting Education below, Production (31 competitors) was second only to Limited (33 competitors), yet, by the policy set forth, I can only award high overall in Production, Revolver and L-10 (30 competitors) and none for SS. Yet Open with 21 entries gets up to 10 medals. :blink:

Targeting Education 2

Raccoon Hunters

7/28/2006

Division Name USPSA Competitors

Limited Travis Tomasie L1973 33

Limited_10 Max Michel A26022 30

Open KC Eusebio TY36570 21

Production Steve Moneypenny A42837 31

Revolver Dennis Smith TY16000 5

Single Stack Gary Stevens L2133 4

Total: 124

I agree that with the sheer size of the production division nowadays due to its entry-level appeal, and lower cost for competing, it should warrant a better medal distribution policy. Unfortunately, we have to follow the guidelines as they are given to us. Keep in mind though, that people do listen. I would encourage you to take the time to write to Kimberley Williams or Dave Thomas (he sets most of these policies) or contact your AD to see what can be done about it. We are not just a two-division sport anymore, and Production most certainly has a large constituency that might change some minds. Sometimes you just gotta complain to the right people. ;)

DVC,

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

So the only President's Medals for the Targeting Ed match in Production were for Division winner, with none for class winners? I agree with Chris on this one. Glad I'm not planning on shooting production much in the near future.

Production division is what got me into this sport, and it was the only division I shot in this year at the two major matches I went to. While I don't shoot it much anymore, it does give a different perspective on things. Now, it also gives the perspective that you won't be getting anything from Sedro unless you can compete at the M and GM levels at Major matches.

What a crock.

I'm sure that policy was written a few years ago...when all we really had was Open and Limited.

Now that we have other popular divisions...it might be time to look into things a bit more.

I'll bet nobody even knew what the policy was until this thread kicked up. Contact you Area Director and see what can be done.

I was planning on switching to Open next year anyhoo, but now ........ I see the light.

Production seems to be just small potatoes to Sedro. I hear over and over from my friends how Production is only an "entry-level" division. "Why are you shooting that when you're not an entry-level shooter?" Until now that fell on deaf ears.

I had fun, don't get me wrong. It's cheap, and simple, and in the end ... it proves it's the shooter, and not the gun.

But it seems there is an abundant amount of hassle involving equipment rules, and divisional policies. I'm just not sure it's for me anymore.

As Flex said, I am sure it is just an oversight, and nobody really looked at the policy since production division took off. I am sure that it is not intentional, and that they are not "keeping production shooters down". With time, things sometimes need to change. I have (at a shooters request in the section) sent an email to Dave Thomas, Kim Williams, and Gary Stevens. I am sure they will look into things and report back. They have a lot on their plate these days, so please be patient... ;)

I was planning on switching to Open next year anyhoo, but now ........ I see the light.

Does this mean you'll join the rest of the misfit toys and shoot revolver? Disenchanted, disgruntled, disfunctional - oh, you'll do just fine :lol:

Hang in there Chris. If it were all about medals and trophies we'd take up bowling.

In all seriousness, I think Flex and Barrettone are correct. It can be fixed, it's just the way it's always been done.

Edited by redmist10