Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon's Primer Tubes/rifle Primers

straightshooter1

On another thread, I mentioned that Dillon's primer pick-up tubes won't hold a full 100 large and small rifle primers. Someone said that if I added a certain tip they would hold the 100. Do any of you rifle shooters know which tip? I have several, but the ones I have tried still hold about 97.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

large rifle primers are about .008" taller than large pistol primers. On all primer pickup

tubes made up until about 3 years ago, they will hold about 97 large rifle primers. A couple of years ago, a design change was made to eliminate drilling the hole for the clip in the tube. A translucent blue plastic tip was added to the other end of the pickup tube. This tip has the hole for the clip. An added bonus was that with moving the clip further out, the large pickup tube will now hold 100 large rifle primers. You can get the blue clip=end tips to install on your existing pickup tubes. :ph34r:

• 17 years later...

I thought I was going crazy.  The current tubes will most definitely NOT hold 100 primers, actually only 94-95 will fit.  I have the translucent blue tip on one end, and no pickup piece on the other end because I got an EntirelyCrimson primer tube adapter for my RF100, which requires the tip to be removed.   Also the reason I'm using the pimer pickup tube adapter is to fill tubes for a Derraco priming system on my press and needed a way to fill the tubes, but unfortunately they're too short.  Does anyone know where to source proper length tubes that I can drill for the hairclip?  They're about 1/4" to 1/2" too short.  Don't think there's a huge money savings in cutting them too short, since you only get 2 tubes with a press, so not sure what the deal is.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent loaded large stuff in a while but all my tubes hold 100 + a couple more. After running a 1000 or so through press I would clear out the unused primers,10 or so, or would pick them off floor. Then I would add a couple to each full tube.

• 2 weeks later...