Power Factor - Difference In Feel

alzo

I have always used "full strength" ammo in my 45's. My current load is:

Zero 230gr JHP

6.2gr N340

WLP Primer

OAL=1.215"

Avg. 847fps

This load has a PF of about 195. I use a 18.5lb recoil spring and a Wilson Shok-buff. I am just getting started in USPSA. Would it be worth it for me to work up a lighter load, say with a PF of 170, or just stick with what I've got ? Would it be a night and day difference in felt recoil ? For 170PF, would a lighter spring be recommended (14lb ?) ?

I'd go with Clays, 170 PF, and a 14 lb spring.

You could get immediate improvement switching to a 16 lb spring with your current load.

What kind of immediate improvement ? I'm a bit concerned about frame battering. As it is, with the 18.5lb spring, my shok-buff is getting cut all the way through in less than 200 rounds. I'm looking into that because I never had this problem with 230gr FMJ loads of roughly the same PF. I don't know if I got a bad spring, bad buffs, or what. But if everything checks out, I was even considering going up to a 20lb spring for that 195 PF load.

Edited by alzo

With heavier .45 loads I like to pick bullet/powder/power factor, then start going up in spring weight until the gun stops cycling 100%,then back down to full fuctionality. There's really no reason to use a spring lighter than you need to. Also remember that spring weight affects felt recoil. Lighter springs will cycle faster thus snap harder. IPSC World Champ Ross Seifried shot 230gr. factory ammo with a 22lb. spring, partly because the heavier spring got the sights back on target faster.