Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clay Target Holders?

Does anyone manufacture a decent clay skeet holder for IPSC shotgun compitition/practice?

I have seen various home made attempts but nothing seems to hold up to repeated poundings of 12 ga shot.

OS

I went to Lowes and picked up 4 pcs of 3/8" by 4 ft re-bar. Stick them in the ground, hang the clays off the top (it helps if the rods are tilted towards the shooter slightly.) I think those cost me a total of $10 for the 4.

What also helps (although you might have to go up to 1/2") is to measure the diamter of the concave side of the clay, and then drill a hole large enough for a nail about 1/2 that length from the top. Place a nail that would be just short of the diameter of the back of the clay through it. This helps keep the presentation a bit more stable.

Take the rebar, get two "U" bolts, about 2" size. Lay the rod in a pice of 3" angle as a support, setting the angle like a "V", then lay the U-bolts on the rod at the top of the rod, weld the U bolts to the rod.

Viola, You have a cheap bird holder that will stand up to repeated hits, although I recommend a minimum distance of 7 yards. The good thing is you can straighten the bolts easily if and when they bend.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

5/8" rebar with a 3.25" wide piece welded horizontally about 3" below the top. Hang the clay on the bar and beat on the top to get it in the ground. Very durable. The clay cannot twist on the mount this way too. You can also put a rubberband around the clay for extra insurance.

Carl

• 3 months later...

Made up 15 clay holders for a little practice session using sickle sections from a combine header. Have these in the scrap pile by the hundreds. Had to just touch the corners with a grinder and they nest inside a clay perfect. Welded to a metal stake they took all we had for the day and will be used many more times. Had a couple that were only 2 yds. that would turn when hit but that can be fixed by putting a spade at the bottom to prevent this. These sections would also be used for cutting hay, cemeteries, some golf courses use this type of mower for the ruff. Lots of places to come up with these for no or little cost.

• 1 year later...