Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pluto

outerlimits

Hot damn! Reality finally reigns. Pluto is not a planet. It and it's companion, Charon, are rogue pieces of the Oort cloud trapped in solar orbit.

FWIW, Science does not nor has it ever claimed to produce perfect answers every time. Science's claim, is that it is self-correcting in the light of better evidence. We have better evidence now and Science has now corrected itself.

And for everyone that's mad about Pluto being removed as a planet, it's beats the hell out of the alternative that the IAU came very close to approving: adding literally HUNDREDS of malformed rock/ice chunks to the list of planets.

I thought it was part of the Kuiper Belt, not the Oort Cloud.

Hot damn! Reality finally reigns. Pluto is not a planet. It and it's companion, Charon, are rogue pieces of the Oort cloud trapped in solar orbit.

FWIW, Science does not nor has it ever claimed to produce perfect answers every time. Science's claim, is that it is self-correcting in the light of better evidence. We have better evidence now and Science has now corrected itself.

And for everyone that's mad about Pluto being removed as a planet, it's beats the hell out of the alternative that the IAU came very close to approving: adding literally HUNDREDS of malformed rock/ice chunks to the list of planets.

Are you familiar with Carl Sagens book: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark? It’s an interesting look at why people are put off by “real” science and believe pseudo science.

First milk and eggs are good for us, then they are bad for us. Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and now Pluto... God in Heaven what is next? Personally I think the ACLU should sue the scientists on behalf of Pluto because of the damage this announcement has had on its self esteem. ;)

I thought it was part of the Kuiper Belt, not the Oort Cloud.

Kuiper, Oort, whatever. ;) It came from a source of what we regard as comets. It did not form on the ecliptic like everything else.

And yeah, Science gets no love from the general public. A system that doesn't validate everyone's system of personal beliefs and wants will probably never generate traction in the mainstream. :(

Are you familiar with Carl Sagens book: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark? It’s an interesting look at why people are put off by “real” science and believe pseudo science.

That's a fantastic book. I think I need to read it again.

Now what in the hell is My Very Excellent Mother going to Serve Us?!?!?!? Huh? Did anybody think of that?!?!?!? I didn't think so!

(jhgtyre storms off in search of pizza and a new acronym)......

Exactly! My very educated friend brought up the pluto (not capitalized because it's no longer a planet) :( thing last night, and my response was that I was sad - that fun sentence I learned in grade school was now a history lesson. And he'd never even heard of the sentence! That was bit a shocking - he's 40+ and a professor at ASU. Maybe it's an Ohio thing....

:D

Exactly! My very educated friend brought up the pluto (not capitalized because it's no longer a planet) :( thing last night, and my response was that I was sad - that fun sentence I learned in grade school was now a history lesson. And he'd never even heard of the sentence! That was bit a shocking - he's 40+ and a professor at ASU. Maybe it's an Ohio thing....

:D

It's not an Ohio thing, I learned it Texas as My Very Ellegant Mother ....

I also learned to spell geography by "George Edward's Old Grandpaw Rode A Pig Home Yesterday."

Now I need to return to school and update my degree in Physics. :huh:

Kenny

Hey, I didn't know we had this kind of firepower. Imagine! A bunch of over-educated astronomers with nothing better to do get together, take a vote, and POOF the planet Pluto is gone. Alright, who's hiding the deathstar and where?

Seriously, anything that size that has 3 moons of its own and is orbiting the sun obviously is a planet, I don't care what the orbital inclination is!

after 51 years, they now tell me Pluto doesn't exist. starting to wonder if we really made it to the moon...

Our paper says that Pluto has been officially demoted to "dwarf".

I thought the proper term we had to use now was "vertically challenged individual".....

I think that would be "gravitationally challenged sphere."

Edited by Steve J

[alarm clock: Beep...Beep...Beep]

[man rolls out of bed, yawns, stretches]

Man: Hey honey, did you sleep OK last night? :huh:

Woman: Yeah...why? :mellow:

Man: All that talk about Pluto not being a planet doesn't have you all worked up and losing sleep? :)

Woman: The only thing bothering me is Uranus. <_<<_<

[man gets up off bed, walks away...<insert fart noise here>...]