Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Radial Hits

Chris Leong

• 1 month later...

Back to the radial hits/elongated hole question.  Say you have a drop turner that ends in a position perpendicular to the firing line, so that it can't be shot unless you try and cut it in half as posted above.  Ok, there is no penalty if it is not engaged since you are not left with a scoring shot after it has dropped, right?  Well, during my run, I place one good hit on the drop turner and have one that is obviously elongated, about an inch long.  (This was some time ago and I was a bit slower...)  Both should have been scored huh?  Man I got stuck with only getting the points for the good hit.  At least I didn't get a penalty.   Does this make sense?  Sorry if I am bumbling.  Taking the bar exam this week and my thoughts aren't exactly straight.

Thanks Pat, I do remember that now.  After reading all the posts about elongated holes above I got my apples confused with my oranges and thought it might have counted.  Sorry about that.  I guess I will just use my bar exam excuse.  By the way, .45 yes, .50 no.  If only that elongated hole was a little bit smaller...

• 5 months later...

I wonder how that RO would score a "turner" with two healty 4" gashes from D-to-A zones?

It's obvious this "turner" was engaged without being "squared-up" to it......

Is he really an RO according to USPSA's definition?

I'll bet not....

You guys need to re-read your RED USPSA rulebooks.  ALL hits on disappearing targets now count :-)  If your good enough to cut the targe in half from the side, you get the A zone hit!

Different rules however, for targets that appear twice!

Yeah Shooter Grrl that new "disappearing, yet appears more than once" target rule isn't very friendly to lower class shooters. Just doesn't seem right to penalize someone because they couldn't get hits on a disappearing target.  5 points down should be enough. I still cannot understand why they added miss penalties for those situations. Luckily most disappearing targets only appear once.

How do you score an oblong "hole" in a target? Let's say there's one big grazing hit in the A zone of a target requiring two hits. I'd say Alpha-Mike. The shooter argues two alphas because the hole's widest point is larger than the bullet diamter. The shooter wants the benefit of the doubt. Now what?

Here's one I did at Area 4 a few years ago:

Target is steeply angled away from where I shot it. On scoring we find one hole in the A-zone and one hit that is nothing more than an indented black smear from the middle of the D-zone off the side of the paper. The paper was not punctured in any way, but it was clearly grazed by the bullet.

Score?

• 3 months later...