Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Motivates You To Attend (and Return To) A Match?

EricW

I have driven anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, one-way, to get to a "local" match, yes Texas really is that big. I've driven 5+ hours to get to Regional, State, and National matches.

I'm willing to drive the distance mainly because of the people at the match as well as those that I travel with. It's extremely educational and a ego buster/booster to shoot with folks you don't know ... sometimes it is even darn right humbling....

I always learn something from a match, no matter how good or boring it may have been.

My pet peeve that has stopped me from driving to any "local" matches, regardless of the distance are:

1. Dishonest RO/SOs/MD. I've been to a match where a particular GM runs the show, if he doesn't do as well as he thinks he should have then he shoots it again or simply throws it out, even if the stage was a classifier. Sometimes the computer has been blamed for losing classifier scores as well.

2. Folks that complain about not getting enough help, yet they are the ones sitting on their butts from the time the gate opens to the time the gate closes.

In all the matches I've traveled to throughout the state of Texas, there has only been one match that I stopped going to and will never return to again, unless somebody else takes the helm and starts being honest with the scoring.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the first Sat of the month I have two choices.... a match 3 hrs away or a match 45 minutes away. Both rank well on most things - friendly people, nice facility, well run, etc. So normally I travel to the 45 min away match. But, the 3 hr away match does have one thing that is important, especially right before a major. It has ... MORE. More competition in my Division, more stages, more challenge. And that MORE is enough to attend that match a couple of times a year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have driven anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours, one-way, to get to a "local" match, yes Texas really is that big. I've driven 5+ hours to get to Regional, State, and National matches.

I'm willing to drive the distance mainly because of the people at the match as well as those that I travel with. It's extremely educational and a ego buster/booster to shoot with folks you don't know ... sometimes it is even darn right humbling....

I always learn something from a match, no matter how good or boring it may have been.

My pet peeve that has stopped me from driving to any "local" matches, regardless of the distance are:

1. Dishonest RO/SOs/MD. I've been to a match where a particular GM runs the show, if he doesn't do as well as he thinks he should have then he shoots it again or simply throws it out, even if the stage was a classifier. Sometimes the computer has been blamed for losing classifier scores as well.

2. Folks that complain about not getting enough help, yet they are the ones sitting on their butts from the time the gate opens to the time the gate closes.

In all the matches I've traveled to throughout the state of Texas, there has only been one match that I stopped going to and will never return to again, unless somebody else takes the helm and starts being honest with the scoring.

Steve,

It's funny how we can sometimes perceive dishonesty. Left there it's just a thought. When 1 or 2 other shooters voice the same sentiment then that club gets typecast by those of us who want a fair game whether we are A,B,C or D shooters. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt but when a seasoned LOCAL shooter warns me of such dishonesty and I see it first hand it's detrimental to the sport especially when it's a GM or M shooter who is running the match and the stats. I'm willing to give this club another chance this year but if I see this garbage again, I'm demanding my money back and never coming back. There are too many other clubs and shooting disciplines who I would probably enjoy better.

Integrity of the match like what was mentioned above is a big one in my book.

I will never shoot a match especially an outlaw match that does NOT use carbon copy scoresheets.

one of the things I have learned is that there are three fastest forms of communication:

television

telephone

tell-a-shooter

word of any hinky-ness travels pretty danged fast in the shooting world.

Nice, receptive, and friendly match staff who have an eye towards "customer service" would be number two.

any match staff member who has an attitude problem would do well to recuse himself so as to not taint the rest of the match.

any match RO/SO who has some sort of personality conflicts with a shooter/competitor should recuse himself as well.

For local matches it's a few things. Competition: I like winning the division I shoot in but hate knowing that I only won due to shooting against a bunch of first time shooters. Stage design/difficulty: I like stages that mix it up for different techniques or strategies. I hate it when clubs set-up the same stage over and over again with 1 or 2 little differences. Organization: I like knowing that when I go to a match, things run smoothly, stats are done in a timely manner, stages are legal, etc. It gives me the impression that they really do care about the sport and don't have the attitude of, "I'll get to it when I get to it, let 'em wait." And lastly: Quality of the people, I hate clubs that have loads of people that come out to socialize as their top priority. Having a good time at the match is a must, but everyone knows the types I'm talking about. Those that stand in the back chatting away not helping to paste and reset and after their final stage bag their stuff up and take off without helping to tear down. Fortuantely, all the negative things I mentioned are few and far between at all the clubs I've visited.

• 3 months later...

The overall atmosphere of the match is very important to me. No holier than thou B.S. from some of the "experienced shooters". You know, some of the high C low B guys that spray and pray because that's what they think it takes to make GM. These are the same guys that have been shooting for 5 years and haven't got any better because the spend more time complaining about getting "new shooters" than dry-firing. It is funny when a "new shooter" shows up and smashes on them though. This always makes my day, especially when it's me. :P . Seriously though, here are my top 5 reasons to regularly attend a local match.

1. Distance (if it's an hour or closer I'll usually go)

2. Friendliness of the staff and "home range guys". (if they're @ss's or wannabe commandos I probably won't be back. I've got no time for retardation or drama)

3. Match get's done by 2 pm. (if it goes past 3 pm because of laziness or inefficiency of the staff or "home range guys" I won't be back. I'm lucky the wife lets me out of my cage anyway.)

4. Does it start on time (if I have to wait for more than 30 minutes first I'll politely ask if they need help then I'll ask for my money back and head to the house to start drinking)

5. Stage Design (this is last on the list I'll shoot whatever they want as long as it's safe. If it's to hard on my skills or memory that's my fault not theirs. I like it to get ridiculous every once in while, it's funny)

Just my $0.02

• 1 year later...

What are the features that motivate you to attend a match? What movivates you to drive several hours each way to go a particular match over shooting at a closer venue?

1. Good stages (design, shooting challenge, documentation)

2. Reputation (match starts on time, moves well, no severe bottle-necks)

3. RO's (that know the rules and can tell a double from a miss)

4. Friends

Ever been to a match where the MD thought it would be funny to have everybody shoot from an enclosed four-foot wooden cube with thin horizontal slits, to "get" the Open shooters?

YES, in fact it was a State Championship. My ears rang for two days and I had double plugs on...

It's a great way to cut match attendance next month.

Have never set foot on theat range again.

How about the match director that decides the soft cover fabric color should be RED to "get" the Open shooters.....

Edited by BillChunn

• 4 weeks later...

EricW,

I think you are going the wrong way on the round count for a monthly match.

For a Major, I want 200+ rounds. For a monthly, I don't want to have to load/buy 250-300 rounds (reshoots/mikes). It gets to be too much. 100-125 is plenty. Just make use of them in quality stages.

Now, more stages are often fine...if you have the resources to build them (and I mostly mean human resources).

What I would be more concerned about is squad size. That dictates the timing of your match.

EricW,

I think you are going the wrong way on the round count for a monthly match.

For a Major, I want 200+ rounds. For a monthly, I don't want to have to load/buy 250-300 rounds (reshoots/mikes). It gets to be too much. 100-125 is plenty. Just make use of them in quality stages.

Now, more stages are often fine...if you have the resources to build them (and I mostly mean human resources).

What I would be more concerned about is squad size. That dictates the timing of your match.

Flex has it right!

Edited by a matt