Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Measure New & Old

Wait until you fiqure out the powder measure is junk.

Eh????? I've owned two different Dillon powder measures. Never had a problem with either. Both throw charges very consistently within a tenth of a grain. How does that qualify as junk?

Wait until you fiqure out the powder measure is junk.

Throw it away now.................

9x21 :blink:

I've got 5 or 6 and they've all been fine. I'll give you $20 right now for that "junker".

I've been reloading on 1050 since 1989.

I bought a second one a 1 & 1/2 years ago and was disappointed to see the "improvements",

changes in dies & powder measure to name a few.

In my experience, the new powder measure (compared to the old style) is a clunky piece of junk.

If all of you have loaded on both RL1050 & Super1050's. You'll know what I'm talking about.

If you haven't, you probably don't know what your missing.

I've loaded with both powder measures. The new one is slightly clunky in operation, in terms of its motion - this being caused by the new double charge lockout features. However, it routinely drops proper charges and works just fine, and its safer than the previous version. It does not, in any way that I can tell, alter the feel of the press or its operation. It hardly relegates it to the "junk" status, in my mind.

EricW has an article on here on how to convert it back to the old style powder measure system, if you like.

One thing I think should be standard, though, personally, is the UniqueTek micrometer adjustment. Talk about sweet!!!!

One thing I think should be standard, though, personally, is the UniqueTek micrometer adjustment. Talk about sweet!!!!

I bought two, one for each powder measure I have.

I like to be able to make fine adjustments, it was a big help trying to get a very exact charge loading .32 ACP.

One odd result I've had using it with Blue Dot at .41 Mag and .44 Mag charges is dialing the charge back/forward by .003 amounts and getting a change in powder throw in the *opposite* direction. I don't know if it's Blue Dot or the weather (90s, very high humidity) causing some clumping or something, but its weird.

Even if it didn't use a finer thread pitch, the UniqueTek's ability to give you a numerical reading is great. I wish Dillon would buy the idea off of them and build a powder bar with the micrometer totally integrated with it (ie, threaded/locked in and not just glued in).

I've loaded with both powder measures. The new one is slightly clunky in operation, in terms of its motion - this being caused by the new double charge lockout features. However, it routinely drops proper charges and works just fine, and its safer than the previous version. It does not, in any way that I can tell, alter the feel of the press or its operation. It hardly relegates it to the "junk" status, in my mind.

EricW has an article on here on how to convert it back to the old style powder measure system, if you like.

Really?

you can convert It? really?

Most reloaders know this already, maybe that's why Dillons sells the retro fit kit.

You say it's clunky? really?

We already established that.

Do you actually crony your loads?

How about: if your spend $1500 for a press it works when you get it!

Big DUR! as my kids say

Edited by 9x21

Really?

you can convert It? really?

Yeah, really.

You say it's clunky? really?

As compared to the previous one, its slightly less smooth in operation, yes - which turns out to be a good thing, in terms of keeping the powder column agitated, which helps insure consistent loading of the charge chamber in the powder bar

Do you actually crony your loads?

Tell ya what. Do a search on our fine forum and tell me if I chrono my loads. Current match ammo shows a < 10 SD over an Oehler. The powder measure works just fine and dandy if the inDUHvidual operating it does his job correctly....

I've got both. I prefer the old ones, but the new ones work ok as well. The one thing that irritates me is it seems the activation-length changed a tiny bit as well-- such that I have to adjust powder dies between swapping new ones and old ones on the machine or the belling is off. I fixed that by installing two powder dies-- one for new measures, one for old ones, but now I've got no place for my automatic bullet feeder somebody needs to make..

"As compared to the previous one, its slightly less smooth in operation, yes - which turns out to be a good thing, in terms of keeping the powder column agitated, which helps insure consistent loading of the charge chamber in the powder bar"

A powder agitar?

Who makes your presses? Dillon or Whirlpool? :wacko:

Glad to hear you actually crony your loads :D

Edited by 9x21

Agitar......is that like an avatar????? or an agitator.

SD's in the single digits.... with an actual cHrony....DUR! it must be accurate powder drops...... :blink:

Edited by smokshwn

Don't really think it matters. If he doesn't understand why bumping the powder measure helps anything - or prevents other undesirable things - he won't know the difference between avatar or agitator, either, so... :D

SD's in the single digits.... with an actual cHrony....DUR! it must be accurate powder drops...... :blink:

Well, I must admit - as I said before, it was most definitely not a Chrony... It was an Oehler.... :D

Edited by XRe

please pardon the lack of spell check

as-h-l-

Clearly this thread is going no-where

we have enuf "experts" here you can go with out my experiences

I thought this forum was to share experiences & opinions (not just the "facts" posted by multi posters)

However,

It seems to favor those who post the most experts.

Carry on,

face it, it is a conflict of interest for this web sight to say anything negative about the products it sells.

Mod please close this thread as it is a waste of everyone's time

see you on the range!

9x21

.......Mod please close this thread as it is a waste of everyone's time

see you on the range!

9x21

Aww now... All is good. Differences in viewpoints are not necessarily a bad thing.... Lots of knowledge here for sure and we really don't want all of it to be in agreement... Just keep an open mind. ;)

Wait a minute 9X21-you started by suggesting the powder measure was junk, telling readers to throw it away now.

All the other posters did is disagree. Is the new one "clunky?" For sure.

If the "clunk" bothers the reloader, can he retrofit it and remove the "clunk?" Sure, in just a few minutes.

I had all old ones, picked up a couple of the new "clunky" ones, didn't care for them, asked here how to convert 'em, was directed to Eric's article and changed mine. No more "clunk."

Did the "clunky" ones throw inconsistent charges? Not in my experience. But I didn't try them with every possible powder, just the ones I usually use. They worked fine, I just didn't like the "clunk."

I didn't notice the difference in belling, but maybe that's because I have one for every caliber I load and most are calibers or loads where I don't have to bell (rifle with jacketed bullets).

9X21-don't get mad, there's a lot of information on this site.

Bob

<_< No... NO ..NO = 'Agitator' is the new stage at Steel Challenge :D ... :huh: Or? is that my new nick name :blink:

Jamie/ Agitator B)

9x21

Just because someone's experience is different than yours, and we are reluctant to "Throw it away now................." doesn't mean you have to take your ball and go home.

The ribbing over your misspelling was simply that. You took a little sarcastic tone with your DUR's and REALLY?'s and it was simply given back in good humor.

If you leave I am sure we will make without ya.... If you decide to stay, wlecome, there's still plenty for us all to discuss/learn/share/....hopefully it's the latter ;)

Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Hey ---- let's all be a little nicer, and leave the tone out of our posts, please! We all will appreciate that. If anyone has something constructive to add to this thread, please send me a PM, and I'll reopen it. Thank you!