Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe Area & Magazines

3GunF1Guy

In our local club I have never seen a person in the safe area handle a magazine. But, as I am reading the rule book today I come to: "2.4.1.3". Guess what? It is O.K. to handle an empty magazine in the safe are and to do magazine changes. How many of you have done this? Is it normaly done in the safe areas at your local match? Do a lot of people practice this when they are warming up befor the match.

Yes, my local club allows handling of empty magazines in the safe area, and I practice drawing and reloading there.

I don't see very many people do anything at all to warm up before the match, but it's not for lack of opportunity.  I always go to the safe area and run through some basics for 15 minutes or so, just to work out some jitters.

Semper fi,

DogmaDog

I've done mag changes with empty mags in the safe area at one club where, even though the MD admitted it was perfectly legal and safe, I was still told not to do it because "it makes people nervous."

Hi-ho, as Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. used to say.

• 3 weeks later...

Think of it this way, the safety area is the only place you can have your gun out, without being on the line.  If you have a magazine problem, such as sticking in the gun, where else can you do it.  The rule is about ammo, not magazines.