Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Table Starts For Rifle/shotgun

Been twisting my brain on this as I'm fairly new to 3 gun/multigun. Say I'm right handed, which side should I lay the rifle/shotgun down on for table starts.

Do I lay the gun down on the left side (ejection port up.) then grab by the pistol grip with right hand and flip the rifle up into my support hand? Or do I lay the rifle down on the right side (ejection port down), grab the hand guard with the support hand and flip the pistol grip into the strong hand.

I've just been copying the people I see. Seems most lay the gun ejection port up just like you would do for a pistol (well for right handers at least.)

one of the things you can do with a shotgun fitted with a side saddle, is stand it up (loading port down) on a table, just put shells in the side saddle and it should stand with no problem. you will have to let the buttstcok hang off the end of the table.

Might fly in the U.S. but don't plan on that "game thing" in IPSC shotgun competition BigBrowngamer. :lol:

It is more natural to grab things fast with your palm facing down. Just never get in too big a hurry. You will NEVER win a stage based on how fast you can get something off a table, but you sure could loose a match by dropping one or breaking the 180 with a bad grab!

the euro guys actually have some interesting start positions, that you don't see here.

what kurt, says is true though, its alot like draws with a pistol, the only time it becomes extremely important is when you're going to be doing alot of them, like steel challenge.

otherwise safe and sure is better than fast and unsure. find a way you're comfortable with and practice it alot. and then practice it some more.

trapr

I have a Tac latch on my rifle and a large bolt handle on my shotgun. I just lay them on those. It slightly elevates the grip area from the table and makes for a surer grab for me.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this dead thread.

In a recent match some table starts were required; rifle unloaded, bolt open or closed, shooters option. I started with ejection port up, bolt open; when picking up the rifle I hit the bolt release on the table which of course caused me to have to cycle the bolt to load vice just hitting the release after inserting the mag. I did this twice. On the last start I had the ejection port down but gamed it by leaving the grip off the edge of the table, don’t think this will fly in most/all matches. This was fast and allowed me to just release the bolt to chamber.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,

David E.

Resurrecting this dead thread.

In a recent match some table starts were required; rifle unloaded, bolt open or closed, shooters option. I started with ejection port up, bolt open; when picking up the rifle I hit the bolt release on the table which of course caused me to have to cycle the bolt to load vice just hitting the release after inserting the mag. I did this twice. On the last start I had the ejection port down but gamed it by leaving the grip off the edge of the table, don’t think this will fly in most/all matches. This was fast and allowed me to just release the bolt to chamber.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,

David E.

David,

After reading Trapr's comment about the side saddle, we could have set the rifle on the mag well. It would have been on the X. :rolleyes:

Haven't done too much 3-gun, but coming from the Cowboy side: if the bolt is open, I place the long gun on the table with the port DOWN. I've seen and had too many empties find that nice big opening and proceed to gork up a nice run. Clearing foreign objects from the action is not fun on the clock. :devil:

As a rule of thumb.....if you have a table start or you're grabbing a weapon from a table during a stage.....the gun maybe loaded with the chamber empty.

And KurtM is correct, no one has won a stage because of how they grabbed a weapon off the table.

But you can save a couple seconds if you do it right (and at my old age, I need those seconds).

Also....I am right handed....so YMMV.

Shotgun on table, loaded, empty chamber.....

ejection port down; grab the shotgun with your left hand on the forearm and grab for the CHARGING HANDLE with your right hand. This way, by the time your shotgun up to your shoulder...it's loaded. So many times I've seen guys bring the shotgun up shoulder it....only to release there grip and charge the weapon.

AR15 style Rifle....mag in, chamber empty....

ejection port up; grab the rifle by the pistol grip with your right hand and your left hand is grabing for the charge handle. Again....this way, by the time you bring shoulder your weapon...it's ready to play.

AR15 style Rifle.....mag out, slide back......

Ejection port down....handle off the table if possible. With magazine in left hand, insert into magwell and flip rifle up....grab rifle grip with right hand. push mag all the way in...finger hits bolt release....move hand towards hand gaurd and shoulder rifle....rifle is ready to play.

Edited by TRUBL