Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot Potat...gun.

kruger

So, does anyone else's gun get really hot when shooting large numbers of close, fast drills in practice sessions?

...to the point where it becomes uncomfortable to touch.

What do y'all do to keep things cool?

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

Pour water down the barrel and over the slide and keep shooting. Yup, I have absolutely no respect for anything. ;)

post-5799-1153620928.jpg

It's the only way we could keep the Glock 18 cool enough to handle at this training session. :D We didn't have a bucket of water handy.

Edited by Keith

I've heard that barrel wear accelerates when they get really hot, so I usually pick brass or tape and setup some new targets or something for a little while. With the slide locked back in the holster, it doesn't take too long to cool off.

I do the locked back slide in the holster too, though having a race holster on most of the time, my pants suffer for it, and I keep getting these, "just got back from a GSSF match, did you?" comments.

Worse on hot sunny days, such as at today's practice. The fired brass was too hot to pick up, even minutes after the drills :blink::blink::blink:B)B)B)

Lock the slide back and let air circulate (I love the picture of pouring water over the hot Glock - just never tried it).

One of my shootin' buddys started out in IPSC/USPSA with an Inside the Waistband holster. He changed after the first time he had the end of the barrel burn his butt. :lol:

I wrap my gun in a wet towel and keep it in the shade while I'm pasting or brassin'. The comment about Titegroup is true. It burns HOT.

On the G18... One night at an indoor range, three of us were tag-teaming a G18. As soon as one finished a magazine, the next guy loaded up and started shooting. We shot it until the polymer dust cover actually started to sag. :huh: We thought we had truly messed up. As the gun cooled, the dust cover returned to it's original shape. WHEW!

We sure thought we had messed it up. :)

dj