Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What To Expect At The Area 8 Match?

mscott

It sounds like there will be food and drinks available, but it also sounds like the truck will be a ways off. What should a shooter have at the range area besides gun, ammo, etc. ? Are there seats or should I bring a chair? Do they have shelters at the ranges? What type of ground is there (grass, dirt, gravel)? Cleats, shoes, waders? Anything else I might need to know? I don't want to pack too much stuff around, but I'd hate to leave something at home I needed. Thanks.

There will be some seating at all the bays, and tents or pavillions at most. All of the bays have slag surfaces (fine gravel) and the walkways also have slag on them. Hopefully waders will not be necessary! Most shooters at our monthly matches wear either tennis shoes or some form of hiking boots. Bays 1 and 2 are a ltlle remote from the rest, and down a hill, so hauling a cart might be difficult. Lunch will be available at the main pavillion, and water will be located at the stages. Someone like vluc who has been to our range before might be able to offer another point of view.

Steve Davidson

It sounds like there will be food and drinks available, but it also sounds like the truck will be a ways off. What should a shooter have at the range area besides gun, ammo, etc. ? Are there seats or should I bring a chair? Do they have shelters at the ranges? What type of ground is there (grass, dirt, gravel)? Cleats, shoes, waders? Anything else I might need to know? I don't want to pack too much stuff around, but I'd hate to leave something at home I needed. Thanks.

I haven't been there since early May (local match) so I don't know if they've added anything since then or not but here's what I can tell you.

Shelters: yes and no, some of the bays have permanent shelters with tables some don't. I assume they'll have some pop-up shelters at the ones that don't (just guessing).

Surface: Dirt and gravel, I'm wearing my cleats but if its dry anything with decent tread will work.

Chair: I'm bringing one because I'm assuming that seating will be limited. May not use it but bringing it just in case.

Food/Drink: My understanding is there will be food/drink to purchase along with water (free I believe) at the stages. I'm bringing my cooler with my own stuff just in case but I've got a cart to haul that crap around on also.

Getting back to your truck: Once your at the bays, your at the bays and getting back to the parking area will be a serious haul on foot (10-15 minute walk give or take). I believe it says on the match site that the shuttle to/from the parking area will only be available for emergencies after the match starts.

I've shot a number of local matches there as well as the PA Sectional last year. These folks put on a good match IMO, I anticipate the good day. Just make sure you get everything out of your car/truck before the start..... ;)

Edited by j2fast

Jeff Bring your cart there is a serious up hill incline going to the range! i don't see any reason for them not to allow it

Cleats if you have them! tennies to walk the stages in and just incase there are any slippery boarded props! which i doubt there will be.

It's a nice range. good natural shade (meaning bring clear lenses if you like them shooting in shaded areas)

You'll want all your snacks and some water on person like with most matches there should be refil stations around from what i've seen at local matches.

didn't seem to be a lot of bugs at the range.. just make sure you don't have to walk back to your car... i'm serious on this one... it's a long dang way! I really hope they have shuttles.

i would bring a chair up if there is any transportation provided. that way you won't have to rely on others for seats. .... it's a pretty nice range with good people in my experiences. there won't be much travel needed between bays they are all failry close.

Steve.

Bays are relatively close together, so there won't be a whole lot of trekking. I've not seen the two new bays (1&2 on the diagram) so I can't speak on them. While the bays themselves are level, getting to them up the main drag (see diagram) is uphill (but not too steep) and all gravel, some of it large.

I was going to try out my new cart, but having been there before, I'm opting against it. Bays are large and recessed, with plenty of space, though some paths can be tight. I'm counting on Steve and Mark to have cover for all the stages as the July match was hot - damn hot.

Bring all you got, all you can carry. It's a self-correcting load. You shoot the bullets, eat the power bars/snacks and drink the water...load gets lighter every step!!

Yeah, some bays are up off the main roadway, so a cart would be pushing the space limit as the walkways between some bays are narrow. The bays are actually located on top of a hill.......the roadway used to be pretty steep, but it's recently been redone.

Many bays are lined with mulch and are surprisingly quiet despite being close togetether.

Surfaces are pretty smooth and are packed dirt/gravel.

Bring water. Most bays have more sun than shade.