Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cooper's "Conditions"

Vince Pinto

It seems a bit redundant over here (outside US, or atleast in Holland). Sometimes it happens, but the RO still has to explain what it is because there are always people who don't know (which is very understandable, as not everyone read gun rags, especially outside the US)

""...and I would prefer it to stay that way.  Save the Cooper / John Moses Browning worship for the funny papers, er, gun rags.""

I am w/ Eric 100%. Now that we dare blaspheme the name of cooper, are we in danger of being struck by lightning?  

No, you aren't likely to get struck by lightning, just some shooters who still hold Cooper in high regard for what he did for pistol shooting.  Lots of people owe him a giant debt of thanks, but they rarely even mention him kindly.   I guess all of you are too young to remember that.

In this day of political correctness people waltz around the truth, but Jeff says what he means and means what he says; some of us like that.  About the worst thing anyone can say about Jeff is that while he was not always right, he was never in doubt, and you always knew where he stood.

Directness and straightforwardness used to be considered admirable traits.  T.Roosevelt thought so, so did Harry Truman and the Founding Fathers.  When the chapter finally closes on Jeff Cooper I think his legacy will be secure, how many of you can be sure of the same thing?

I haven't heard condition codes used in IPSC/USPSA or IDPA since I started shooting either, but they are standard terms in the Marine Corps, and we use them on the rifle and pistol range during requalification.  "Load and make ready, and holster a condition 1 weapon" is valid terminology in the USMC.  It also works because Marines are trained in the meaning of the terms and how to take their weapons from one condition to another.

I would surmise that Col Cooper got the terminology from the Marines, way back in the day.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Thanks for all the responses folks.

The "conditions" are not recognised by IPSC, and they can't be, because they only apply to 1911 style guns.

It's just that I've asked my rules colleagues to consider specifically prohibiting their use in IPSC because they're not clear enough, but here's a few stalwarts in Asia still using them.

It's one of my pet peeves ........

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 2:03 pm on Dec. 12, 2002)

Quote: from Fossil on 2:04 pm on Dec. 12, 2002

Col. Jeff Cooper definitely did not invent Practical Shooting, but he was a great visionary for the sport, unfortunately, people of his character and vision are currently lacking in the hierarchy of IPSC/USPSA.

Wow!!  That's pretty harsh.  I happen to be pretty pleased with the turn USPSA's leadership has taken as of late.  

I didn't mean to slam Cooper as much as I meant that folks should not have to be intimately familiar with him or his writings (or Marine Corps doctrine) to competently participate in IPSC.  Cooper has publicly disavowed IPSC anyway, so that fact just makes the use of "Condition X" doubly out of place.  

Gee Fossil, as a member of the IPSC hierarchy, I appreciate your highly offensive (and anonymous) remark.

Perhaps the view from the cheap seats is different but, if you think you can do a better job in IPSC or USPSA, step up to the plate.

We need producers, directors and performers, not critics.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 9:48 pm on Dec. 12, 2002)

Oliver,

Chamber empty, magazine inserted is actually C3, and that's precisely why I hate hearing those terms in IPSC matches.

In fact, the worst offender is the Philippines.

Luckily some of the new key guys in the PPSA NROI are discouraging the use of "conditions", but there's still one or two stubborn old timers who won't change their ways.

Sadly one of them is Ninong (English=Godfather) to my youngest son, so I've got to keep trying nicely to persuade him to change his ways, instead of beating him over the head with a Lapu-Lapu (English=a large fish).

And I've really got to switch to decaf :)

mcoliver

Condition 1   Cocked and locked, safety on, mag in, round in chamber.

Condition 2  mag in pistol, round in chamber, hammer on half cock

Condition 3  Chamber empty, mag in pistol, hammer down

Condition 0  mag in Pistol, round in chamber, cocked, safety off