Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unloaded/table Draws

dsb45acp

I tried doing a search for this but couldn't find any results. Does any one have info on what a good par time is for this drill. I am doing the following: At stsrt beep, pick up the gun and CRTC safety mag, insert into pistol, simulate racking the slide, and obtain good grip and sight picture. Time is at 1.7 seconds right now (I'm working on it). Any one have any suggestions for a good time?

Perhaps others have timed such a drill, but, it seems to me, the real benefit here would be to set your own pace. You are getting 1.7 sec, so target getting that to 1.5 sec. Then work toward 1.3 sec. Don't worry too much what anyone else is doing it in. Simply get it to a point you like, or at which you level out.

Try different styles. If you are currently picking the gun up with the strong hand, and the magazine with the weak, reverse it. Pick the gun up by the slide with the weak hand, get the magazine and insert it with the strong hand and go into the grip. The weak hand is already on the slide, so you can proceed to rack the slide as soon as the strong hand is on the grip. I don;t know if this is faster, but it should be compared.

Guy

I tried doing a search for this but couldn't find any results. Does any one have info on what a good par time is for this drill. I am doing the following: At stsrt beep, pick up the gun and CRTC safety mag, insert into pistol, simulate racking the slide, and obtain good grip and sight picture. Time is at 1.7 seconds right now (I'm working on it). Any one have any suggestions for a good time?

How are you stopping the timer?

I've practiced this drill for the "Making Change" Classifier we had at Area 6 on Stage 3. I shot the Stage in 6.51 seconds and I was a "C" shooter at the time. It might be more accurate to use live fire and start at the beep and stop at the first shot. Since my practice for this drill I've become very confident in the unloaded start senarios.

If you really want to think outide the box, stand the mag up on its base plate to start. At the beep, pick up the gun with strong hand, drop it over the vertical mag, rack the slide with weak hand as you're bringing it up to target and fire.

How are you stopping the timer?

=Just set your timer for a par time, and bet the beep. it is an average that you are training for so beeting it by a tenth a few time is no big deal . beet it five times at your goal time Cold and wormed up.

If you really want to think outide the box, stand the mag up on its base plate to start. At the beep, pick up the gun with strong hand, drop it over the vertical mag, rack the slide with weak hand as you're bringing it up to target and fire.

After laughing at it's simplicity I had to try it. I'm pretty new at this game and previously had not practiced empty gun starts. (DUH!) I tried all three techniques in this thread with the standing mag being the fastest, by far. I'm using dummy rounds, racking and firing on a specified "target". Just a tad slower than a regular holster draw depending on where my hands are on the start (on the table vs. by my side).

Thank you for the tip.

I searched for this and then satarted my own thread here.

For me times around 1.85 were pretty good, anything sub 2.0 was alright.

I hit a 1.77 to a small popper in last weekend's match, and was pretty happy with it.

Edited by dirtypool40