Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Optic For Tactical Division?

Jaxshooter

I have split the difference. I have an old model Simmons 1.5-5 Diamond reticle scope in low rings on a riser and an Eotech 512 on another riser. I have tested both several times and both hold zero when you swap them back and forth.

I am very confident in both optics and will use them based on max distance at the match.

Thanks for all the info. It was greatly appreciated.

I have split the difference. I have an old model Simmons 1.5-5 Diamond reticle scope in low rings on a riser and an Eotech 512 on another riser. I have tested both several times and both hold zero when you swap them back and forth.

I am very confident in both optics and will use them based on max distance at the match.

Thanks for all the info. It was greatly appreciated.

I have this same setup, except I have each one mounted on a separate rifle. One club I shoot at is known for long, tight, difficult rifle courses and the other is mostly "hosing" with a couple of shots in the 180-220 yard range. I pick my rifle accordingly.

Man, I do love the EOTech for up close and personal...

Ed

post-6767-1153744953.jpgHere is a pic of my set up. As stated earlier there is no perfect tactical optic. You will have to try different ones in order to decide which is best for you and why. My optic consists of an Accupoint TR21R with Leupold PRW High rings and a Hahn Precision BUIS Scout Rail. I have tried many and this works best for me. I consider four important qualities when selecting an optic, Quality of build, Precision, Magnification and Simplicity (Reticle). I have bought and sold many quality optics and always get all or most of my investment back selling on line. For my 42 year old eyes the thing that seems to be most relevant is a bright glowing aiming point. I can not see a black aiming point quickly. The cost of trying different optics is worth finding the right one for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What about the Aimpoint with the 3X Magnifier, has anybody tried that? I also understand you can use the 3 X magnifier in conjunction with the Eotech. I do like the Eotech but with these old eyes I think I need some magnification.

What the 3x gives you, is not worth the cost. There are cheaper better options out there.

I run the Aimpoint M2 ARMS mount and the 3X w/ Samson filp mount, if your not nose to CH when using the 3X you will not get a full image.

To do over I should of just got a 1-3x Leupold scope.

Egads, this topic AGAIN!!!

Read Erik's article in Front Sight or do a search. There is no "single best optic" for Tactical class. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

Is there a link for the article, or is a back-issue purchase required?

Bronco had/has the Horus. You might want to ask him. Bennie Cooley talks about the Horus in his new video AR15 video. But then again he mentions the Leupold and used the Leupold at the '06 Multigun Nationals per his interview on Hirsch's new video of the match.

One of the local shooters has the Horus. Nice glass. Big center dot. Would have personally considered one but it doesn't have a daytime red dot.

If you search I think you find a couple of blurbs on the IOR.

FWIW, I have the IOR and had a TR21. I now use the Meopta.

I think it's a similar situation for Bronco. He had/has the Horus. He is now using the Meopta. (Please correct me if I am not remembering correctly. :D )

One of the local shooters has the Horus. Nice glass. Big center dot. Would have personally considered one but it doesn't have a daytime red dot.

Yeah the article read on it said that the first series didn't have an illuminated but that they will (heard that before) be making an illuminated one. Ret looked nice and had the Horus christmas tree for hold over etc. Looked nice but I agree if it doesn't come out with the illuminated ret its not worth it in my opinion. Wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience with it. Or if they did have the illum ret now. Site shows illum ret, $998.

http://horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=hvtalon&sku=OPTALON

Horusvision gave me a 1x4 dot to try. It is on the first plane, so as you turn it up, the dot gets bigger. It covers about 20 inches @ 200 yds. Covers up everything. The meopta is on the 2nd plane & stay's the same plus it's 111 ft. field of view. It's the hot lick for now.

Horusvision gave me a 1x4 dot to try. It is on the first plane, so as you turn it up, the dot gets bigger. It covers about 20 inches @ 200 yds. Covers up everything. The meopta is on the 2nd plane & stay's the same plus it's 111 ft. field of view. It's the hot lick for now.

Good to know, thanks Benny.