Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Out Of Your Sight = Out Of Your Mind?

Lately I have been speeding up my shooting strategy. Usually, successfully.

You know the drill: see your shot, move your eyes to the next target ahead of your gun, then the gun/sights will follow your eyes. But what about your strategized memory???

Sunday we had a great match. On stage one there was a group of four steel targets. To the right was a small popper, in the center a big one, with another small one hiding behind it. To the left there was a small square plate. This was all in the middle of a field course with various boxes and plenty of sprinting.

Ok. In my strategy was a plan to come from the right into the shooting box and first engage the right small popper, then shoot the big one and while it fell shoot the small steel plate and return for the small popper after the big one fell. As you know those big ones take for ever to fall...

Well, I did my shooting. Saw my shots, and saw the steel as it fell on my way to the next target. Almost. At the end of the stage, the small center popper was still standing, mocking me!!!! It seems that I saw the big popper as it was falling on my way to the small plate to its left, and then saw that plate falling on my way out of the box focusing my eyes/attention on the next array ... forgetting all about the small popper behind the big one. :(:mellow::unsure:

Maybe it's Alzheimers already???? Or just getting ahead of myself... :o

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

LOL! Had a similar steel incident Sunday. In a large stage, one array with two poppers, 4 paper, set up paper-steel-paper-paper-steel-paper. Entered a port, started right to left - 2 alpha, ding (see it fall out of corner of eye), 2 alpha, 2 alpha, ding (see movement), 2 alpha. Pull back, reload, take next array.

Walk the stage to score, and I see this Jumbo giant red popper still standing with a wonderful edge hit in the scoring area of the freshly painted target. Was "sure" I saw it falling....

My problem isn't what I can't see ..... it's what I see twice! Had a stage on Saturday (1st one of 5) that was a Run N Gun field course that sort of zig-zagged forward. Had walls that made you weave back and forth with targets on your left and your right. So I start out with an array of 4 on the left, RELOAD (Production) then an array of 3 on the right + 1 a little further on the right past this big wall (this is where I poo-poo'd the stage) which I could see in the same field of view as I was shooting my 2nd array. (It just made sense to pick it up now, otherwise I was gonna reload after only 6 shots, and the same field of view thing-y) So then I go to the left again for 2 targets & then quickly to the right again for 2 more targets, then finish at the end with 4 targets behind a wall.

But the COF read 15 IPSC targets COMSTOCK 150 points. And I read this to myself once and heard it again in te walkthrough, right ? ;) SO if you add 'em up, I shot 16 targets instead of 15. I wondered why there were extra hits on my targets~!

And I've been doing this long enough to know better. I just have this fascination with shooting at all the brown targets! :)

If it's in my sight .................. I'm -a- gonna shoot it! B)TWICE!

At the Mason Dixon 3 gun this year there was a rifle stage that had a bunch of paper about fifty yards away. In the middle were from right to left a two paper bobbler, an activating plate for the bobbler and a mini rifle popper. I'm shooting from right to left, planning to hit the activator, set-up for the four shots on the bobbler, hit the mini popper, and finish on the static paper to the left of those. Sure enough, once I start my run,, I forget all about the mini popper after shooting the bobbler.....

• 2 weeks later...

You guys kill me!!! You can remember where to put 34 rounds but you (we) can't remember whom you (we) follow-and usually ask the scorekeeper "who's next?" while he's totaling or getting a signature. Point is, we should have a STANDARD squad list maybe alphabetical by height shuffled and short straw draw for first....I feel it would help the squad and the RO's. Guys, I'm just trying to get 25 posts so I can shop classifieds. Loveyameanit! DVC

I left popper standing on the Tubular stage at Area 8. I had a game plan down then switched it up and ended up being all over the place. I took the array of out order and called the shot on the large popper. I went back to another target then back to that array and shot the small popper on the outside went "PAST" the large popper that was still standing and finished on the papper. I called the hit on the popper and it was there, an edge hit but I shot it at an angle so it just glanced off. I called for calibration but knew I wasn't going to get it because of how light the poppers were set all day. Live and learn.

I haven't left a popper standing in a long time. Live and learn

Flyin40

I did that the last match. Two mini poppers behind two pepper poppers-my plan was to shoot the two larger poppers, shoot the two paper targets that were at one side of the array while the poppers were falling, and then get the mini-poppers. Of course I forgot the mini poppers and took off for the next position after shooting the paper. I knew I'd done something wrong because of the silence: although I'm not consiously aware of it I can hear a background hum of conversation with my electronic muffs; whenever I do something stupid during a stage the audience goes silent. Whenever I hear that silence I think "what darn fool thing did I do this time?" But, as usual it was too late.

Been doing really well lately and had a FTE this weekend. Ouch :angry::angry:

Actually I'm not that worried about because I never forgot to shoot it. I never seen it from the get go :lol::lol: During walk through I never seen the target.....dumb........dumb........dumb........ :angry::angry:

Flyin