Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Revo Class For Newbies

Randy Lee

Greetings all,

It would seem that even the bottomfeeders are getting into revolvers! As a strange twist of fate would have it, it now appears likely that there will be a Fundamentals of Revolver Competition class to be held at the SIGARMS Academy!

The concept was proposed to me by Paul Erhardt of SIGARMS. I sent out feelers on the SIGforum as well as the S&W forum, and it seems there is interest. This is a unique event because SIGARMS does not manufacture revolvers, but is showing their support of the action shooting sports.

As many of you know revolver competition has become more popular recently, with the likes of Rob Leatham and Taran Butler shooting at this year's IRC. Hopefully we will get to see Dave Sevigny shooting a roundgun next year.

From the feedback I'm receiving there will be two class. One at the Hogue Action Pistol range on the west coast, and one at the SIGARMS Academy in NH.

The course will cover equipment selection and allowed modifications under the IDPA, ICORE and USPSA rulebooks, reloading techniques, the draw, trigger control as well as techhnical concerns regarding the stresses placed on the revolver when manipulating it at higher speeds.

The course would be taught by myself and Lisa Farrell (6 time limited class ladies champion at the IRC AND SIGARMS team member). It is our hope that the course will draw more interest to revolver competition and make the competiton experience more enjoyable.

Anyone interested?

~Randy

Wow, that's great to hear that we've reached the point where somebody's actually doing something like this. (Strange that it would be SIG, of all people, but what the hell!) No question about it, the revolver renaissance is clearly well underway. The northeast is actually a pretty strong area for wheelgunners, you should have no trouble filling up the class. Let's make sure it gets written up for American Handgunner, etc.

Hello Randy,

interesting! Me and three other wheelies have done something like this about three years ago - unfortunately there were only six participants, but nearly all of them are still "revolving"... :)

We had the same topics - equipment, reloading techniques etc.

my team-mate Dietmar with a lot of Revo equipment:

1367_18.jpg

See article in online-issue of german gunmag "Visier": Article (German.... :wacko: ) (you have to scroll down to Article " Hier dreht sich alles um die Trommel" from 1. Oktober 2003 near at the end of the page (headline means something like "Everything turns around the cylinder") If somebody wants to have a translation of the article, just tell me!

Good luck and a lot of participants,

Sascha

Edited by cooper_999

Hello Randy,

interesting! Me and three other wheelies have done something like this about three years ago - unfortunately there were only six participants, but nearly all of them are still "revolving"... :)

We had the same topics - equipment, reloading techniques etc.

my team-mate Dietmar with a lot of Revo equipment:

1367_18.jpg

See article in online-issue of german gunmag "Visier": Article (German.... :wacko: ) (you have to scroll down to Article " Hier dreht sich alles um die Trommel" from 1. Oktober 2003 near at the end of the page (headline means something like "Everything turns around the cylinder") If somebody wants to have a translation of the article, just tell me!

Good luck and a lot of participants,

Sascha

Here spins to everything around the (feminine) drum. (Is that right?)

:D

word by word - perfect! Hope my translation by meaning is as good...

Maybe, you can do the translation of the article..... ;)

best,

Sascha

word by word - perfect! Hope my translation by meaning is as good...

Maybe, you can do the translation of the article..... ;)

best,

Sascha

Your translation is excellent! Your English is far better than my Deutsch!

I'm really excited that there is so much interest. I hadn't expected there to be so much.

I'm hoping that the reviews of the class will spark enough interest to hold classes at other locations. Michael Bane has chimed in on both the SIGforum and S&W forum about filming at the NH class.

I will add dates and cost info as soon as it becomes available.

As far as equipment goes, any revolvers and gear suitable for IDPA, ICORE and USPSA competition would work. Speedloaders, moonclips and about 1600 rounds of ammo.

I haven't approached Smith about the class as of yet. I know they have their own training regimen, and of course Jerry- but if they are interested in promoting this or a similar class everybody wins. I would expect to see Rugers and Taurus revolvers at the courses as well.

I also have unending gratitude for Paul and SIGARMS for even entertaining the concept.

More info as it becomes available.

~Randy

Randy.. any thoughts of looking at this from a complete revolver newbie stand point?

If S&W could provide demo models to use... so I could see if I want to drop another $$$ to pick this division up?

Let me show up with ammo and rent the rest (for a model I could actually go out and buy that day). Just tell me what caliber(s) to bring?

Just a thought.. Dave

Randy.. any thoughts of looking at this from a complete revolver newbie stand point?

If S&W could provide demo models to use... so I could see if I want to drop another $$$ to pick this division up?

Let me show up with ammo and rent the rest (for a model I could actually go out and buy that day). Just tell me what caliber(s) to bring?

Just a thought.. Dave

I know Smith already has a program in place for test driving their product line. Usually Jerry M is sent along too.

This first class will be set up under the premise that participants have had some exposure to the competition venues of IDPA/ICORE/USPSA and wish to accelerate their learning curve or performance.

If there is enough interest in an introduction to revolver competition course, I think this would be an ideal format for people to try factory production guns from Smith. I'm hoping the powers that be at Smith will be interested.

Just a thought.. Dave

I know Smith already has a program in place for test driving their product line. Usually Jerry M is sent along too.

This first class will be set up under the premise that participants have had some exposure to the competition venues of IDPA/ICORE/USPSA and wish to accelerate their learning curve or performance.

If there is enough interest in an introduction to revolver competition course, I think this would be an ideal format for people to try factory production guns from Smith. I'm hoping the powers that be at Smith will be interested.

Just an idea. Make the classes clothing optional

I'm not so sure it would go over to well to bring Smith to a school put on by Sig. Its a shame Smith didnt think of it first since the class is dominated by Smiths. I'm sure Sig will put on a great class and will no doubt have a few deals for the people who participate. I went to a Sig Armorer Class and it was First Class. Looking forward to the details on this. Thanks for looking into this Randy.

Gary

Underlug, trust me, the last thing anybody wants to see is a revolversmith without clothes...ewww!

The times are definitely changing. Springfield Armory, Armscor and Smith autos on the IRC prize table- who'd a thought.

I don't believe SIGARMS has any particular interest in the revolver market. They sponsor some pretty big matches (Steel Challenge comes to mind) though. Having a revolver competition class added to their Academy lineup increases their reputation for diverse training.

It is rather trendsetting, and speaks volumes for unbiased support of handgun shooting sports by SIGARMS. I also have to believe that for many first time gun owners (revolver owners that is) who are just starting out in run n' gun activities will be enticed to try shooting and ultimately buying an auto. I know that was true of my beginnings.

Besides, I'm jonesing for an X-5. :D

Just a thought.. Dave

The only down side to this idea (renting or using a Smith provided gun) would be a non-competition trigger job. A 12lb trigger might not encourage many takers. I would suggest borrowing a tuned-up gun that is match ready.

An experienced bottom-feeder isn't going to like an out-of-the-box action.

Edited by D.carden

Just a thought.. Dave

The only down side to this idea (renting or using a Smith provided gun) would be a non-competition trigger job. A 12lb trigger might not encourage many takers. I would suggest borrowing a tuned-up gun that is match ready.

An experienced bottom-feeder isn't going to like an out-of-the-box action.

Dan is right- I don't think I can even pull a stock trigger without physical damage.

This past March Lisa and I helped out with a Bruce Gray Fundamentals class in Sacramento. Bruce encouraged me to bring out my wares. Needless to say several of the SIG owners now have shiny new 8 shot and 625 revolvers.

Maybe let them compare and contrast a stock trigger and a tuned competition trigger. Just feeling the difference is striking. I don't think that all the revo's would need a tuned trigger. Besides, most folks coming into the sport will be using the ~12lb basic revo trigger on what they own. Give them something to look forward to but deal also with what is the norm.

The concept seems to have taken on a life of it's own- which is ultimately good.

My original idea was that the first fundamentals class would be for those who already have some rudimentary experience shooting IDPA/UPSPSA/ICORE. Most likely these participants will have already asked some of you about mods, equipment selection and techniques. Hopefully participants will walk away from the course with a greater appreciation of what you guys already do/know. I also hope that they come away with the confidence to know that your blazing reloads and runs are attainable goals.

From some of the emails I have received it also sounds like an introduction to revolver competition course is also of interest for absolute beginners. People in this situation are the ones who require a different approach. Too many options as far as what they can do to their guns might lead to overwhelm and disillusionment. A decent trigger job, chamfered cylinder, safely and successfully negotiating a stage will go a long way to keep them intersted in our sport. Once they have the passion for revolver shooting, they will discover what options make sense for their level of skill.

Earlier..I was kind of thinking like when you rent skis at a pro-shop.. try a couple see what you like.. but I do understand the trigger problems..

Dan.. thanks for the offer... now the 625 or the 627? You decide, just drop it by the house...

I'll sew on a 'Team Carden' path if you don't :)

My biggest dilemma is do I get a 625 or 627.. when I really want a 610 (in my quest to shoot all 40 S&W).. that doesn't seem to be avaiable anymore? And what takes moon clips and what doesn't. Really basic equipment stuff..

Edited by BerKim

The only down side to this idea (renting or using a Smith provided gun) would be a non-competition trigger job. A 12lb trigger might not encourage many takers.

You mean like the "Performance Center Guns" the S&W guys laid out on the table at the 2004 Steel Challenge (about 15 feet from Randy Lee's table, ironically)?....judas priest I've seen Swingline staple guns that had better actions than the stuff the factory thinks is good.