Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaction Time To Shoot

Bakes5

Am I just slow?

How long does it take y'all to pull the trigger after the buzzer beeps. I am talking about, pushing the start button on the timer, aiming at the target and pulling the trigger the instant I hear the buzzer. No aiming, no drawing, no sight aligning, etc... Just the raw time it actually takes me to pull the trigger once I hear a beep.

For me, I average about .24-.25 seconds to fire.....how fast can y'all do it? I am guessing I am pretty slow

Thanks

Bakes

I have only played with this a little....

I can get down around .15-16 if I just shut everything completely off. If I am really trying the time goes up to .22 or so. When I am wound up and trying really hard the time goes up near .3. I would say the average of all the shots I have fired doing this is around .22.

I don't think you are slow at all, but maybe we both are LOL.

The few times I've checked, I seldom beat .22 sec. A .25 is probably average.

While we all want to be as fast as we can be, I'm starting to see things in a new way.

For example, there are quite a few guys that I shoot with that can flat out smoke me on nearly any USPSA or IDPA stage. But I know for a fact that their draw and reaction under 15yds. is quite a bit slower than mine .

On steel, like Smoke & Hope, I'm averaging 3.05 and they can seldom break 4 seconds. These same people leave me in the dust on field courses.

There are things you can learn in a short period of time that will save whole seconds. Or, you can work like a slave on things like the draw and save .20 in a fifteen second stage.

There are things you can learn in a short period of time that will save whole seconds. Or, you can work like a slave on things like the draw and save .20 in a fifteen second stage.

I heard of this trick from one of Matt Burkett's DVD's and I tried it out on day at the range hoping to be something I could improve on. Turns out that my reaction times were there. I was averaging .14 so I was listening to the first note of the beep.

JD45 is right though. There are other drills and exercise that you can invest your time on to save you a whole lot more than a fraction of a second.

I would quite like to carry on with this aspect of things.

Fastest reaction ever for me was .14 but I only ever managed it once so probably a fluke.

Have done quite a few .16s lots of .18s and can do .20 from cold.

But I would like to shave seconds off a stage time if possible.

So if you would point me to the drills I will get at it.

al

Edited by alellis

I would quite like to carry on with this aspect of things.

Fastest reaction ever for me was .14 but I only ever managed it once so probably a fluke.

Have done quite a few .16s lots of .18s and can do .20 from cold.

But I would like to shave seconds off a stage time if possible.

So if you would point me to the drills I will get at it.

al

One thing that has really helped me was to work on my cadence. For example you have an array of 4 targets in a row. A lot of shooters will shoot two shots...pause, two shots... pause, two shots...pause, two shots. By having a cadence you can decrease your time by shooting with the same splits between shots, taking out the pause so its a consistant bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang. After a little practice my splits in a match are between .2 and .28 seconds between shots. This where the timing drills will help a lot. You don't just want to shoot .2 to .28 splits and end up with a lot of C's and D's either. Timing with the Bill Drills, seeing the sights go up down.

Another thing that helped and that I still need to practice on myself to commit more to memory is to fall out of the box when shooting my last target and getting ready to transition to the next position. It gives you a good lead off rather than just standing there shooting and then moving. Since you're "falling" or leaning, your upper body stays in the same shooting position so that you can call your last shots more accurately but your body is already getting in motion for you to move to the next array.

Edited by Cjblackmon

There is some excellant information on this topic in Saul Kirsch's newer book, "Thinking Pracitcal Shooting". This book is worth every penny! ;) Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

His other book (Perfect Practice) is a good read as well!

Edited by Cjblackmon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran this with an STI Edge, G17, Beretta Elite II... Pretty consistant in the .13 - .14 sec range. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference between the platforms if I prepped the trigger on the Glock and Beretta. Otherwise, it added a few hundredths.

Edited to note: The "trick" is to fire at the beginning of the beep :) I would think as long as you hear the shot before the beep ends, you are good to go...?

Edited by Paradox