Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Gun Platforms

Richie

I'm currently switching from primarily shooting glocks over to 1911's. I'm having the issue of now shooting my 1911 ESP gun a couple inches low. If you have ever switched platforms like this, how long did it take you to get used to the new setup? Thanks, just peace of mind i guess seeing others that may have had the same issues!

This is an interesting post for me. I bought a 1911 type double stack and decided instead of shooting production I'll shoot a little lim-10 with the 1911 for a change. I've been shooting glocks in USPSA for a year or two and I wanted a change. I took the 1911 to the range the other day for some practice, I was shooting a little low the whole time and thought "Piece of crap sights (novak rear and dawson FO front) I should just shoot the Glock"

Now I think maybe I am experiencing what you are talking about, a different grip angle Humm!

Edited by nphd2000

Shoot the sights and it won't matter....... Well that is the short answer anyway.

I haven't really noticed a difference after a couple dry fire draws to find the sights, finding them on the first shot out of the holster can be a little harder but if you are shooting the sights the grip angle really doesn't matter.

I am in the process of switching from a Glock 24 to a STI Trusight for limited. I haven't had too much trouble adjusting to the grip angle. I am having some trouble with my draw. Sometimes I am not getting a good grip position while the gun is in the holster so I sometimes have to switch it around in my hand during the draw. And some one went and put a safety on this STI you have to fiddle with. As far as pointing low or having trouble finding the sights I have heard a lot of people complain about this but I have not had too much trouble.

Usually it's the other way around. Most guns point and hit in one place and then you shoot a Glock and it hits high.

As HSMITH said, shoot the sights and not what is a natural point for you and it will come around. It is what I have to train myself to do when I shoot my Glock.

Craig

I am in the process of switching from a Glock 24 to a STI Trusight for limited. I haven't had too much trouble adjusting to the grip angle. I am having some trouble with my draw. Sometimes I am not getting a good grip position while the gun is in the holster so I sometimes have to switch it around in my hand during the draw. And some one went and put a safety on this STI you have to fiddle with. As far as pointing low or having trouble finding the sights I have heard a lot of people complain about this but I have not had too much trouble.

Yeah I just went through this with an open gun and ended up putting an arched mainspring housing on my sti open to make it point more like a glock.

I know its just me, and the comfort I got into position wise shooting mainly the glock, but switching back now to the 1911 for good. I just could not get the glock to fit my hand no matter how much i tried to will power it to fit lol It'll probably just take some dry firing and another range trip to figure it all out!

I HAD a Glock 22 for carry, but with all of the practice I do on the 1911 platform, i.e. 2011 and SS 1911, it was just too much of a problem for me to switch grip angles. SO, I got an XD40 for carry, the XD has the same grip angle as the 1911's.

Nuff said.

Shoot the sights is ALWAYS the answer, but why fight the angle, I like things to be uniform.

Yeah I just went through this with an open gun and ended up putting an arched mainspring housing on my sti open to make it point more like a glock.

Why would anyone change a perfectly naturally pointing gun to point like a Glock? :D

Same problem here. I went from a Glock to an STI open and limited gun.Took a few practice sessions to learn where my NPA is with a 1911. Just could not find that damn dot. Now it's as easy as shooting open sights. When I do start shooting production it will be something with the same grip angle. I don't want to go thru that again.

Mike

I've been switching back and forth from my G35 Limited gun to my Para Limited gun quite a bit lately.

Other than the weight differences, I haven't had any big problems.

The only odd thing is that the Para was pointing low at the beginning when I'd switch back. Changed to an arched mainspring housing for a couple of weeks, but found it was not necessary a few days later.

Now all I have to get used to is the G35 transitioning much faster than the heavy Para, and the Para being more comfortable with major loads and a tad more stable of a shooting platform.

Switching guns has been sort of a "trick of the day" for me lately, at least in practice. The Para usually ends up in my holster at matches.

I went back to the range today shooting groups at 20 yards with the 1911, and after some short dry fire work the night before and some shooting today, I was shooting the 1911 comfortably again. I appreciate the feedback, it just took a few rounds downrange to pick it back up! It's nice to have a gun that fits my hand all the way around the grip again :) but I do miss my 34, going to be a sad day when i sell it :)

It took me a while. I switched from S&W revolvers to Glocks, which is a big change.

It takes some time to get used to the new platform, but the cool thing is that (at least for me) it's really easy to switch back to the old platform.

I shot a Glock for about six months and didn't touch a revolver in that time. But when I finally picked up the revolver again, the sights were exactly where they should be everywhere I pointed the gun :)

You can learn new platforms without forgetting the old ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I go back and forth between the G35 and a 1911 from time to time, and certainly find the change pretty dramatic, given the differences between .45 and .40 recoil, grip angle, grip size, sights, magazine well, trigger, slide release, etc.

A couple months ago, I blew one of the "4-classifier" matches, when I brought out my 1911, instead of my Glock, because I was having .40 reloading problems. It's not the gun's fault, of course, but I hadn't really practiced with it as I should have, and couldn't hit the magazine release button cleanly, because I wasn't used to shifting my grip slightly, and slide-lock reloads threw me off, and of course the trigger and sight picture were all "wrong."

Since I practice lightly, I'd like at least 1 month of only using one platform, before shooting a match I cared about. <shrug>

Why would anyone change a perfectly naturally pointing gun to point like a Glock? :D

Well until I can get the police dept that I work for to switch to 2011's [yeah right] I am stuck betting my life on the glock. Ithink they would also frown on me grinding the "hump" off of the glock. So it is easier to add the hump to the STI.

I've been switching back and forth from my G35 Limited gun to my Para Limited gun quite a bit lately.... Other than the weight differences, I haven't had any big problems.... The Para usually ends up in my holster at matches.... I always find that spending some time with a Glock or revolver helps my trigger control when I return to the 1911.

I've been switching back and forth between a G35 and a Para as well. I shoot both reasonably well, but I find that I always shoot a higher hit factor with the Para. I have better sights on the Glock, but the trigger & fell of the other gun just seem to work better for me.

I agree that a tuned 1911 trigger is a breeze when you get used to a Glock trigger. I have a difficult time switching back from a crisp, light trigger to a mushy Glock trigger though.

I've decided to stick with the Para as well. Switching back and forth between the G35 and the Para, as well as playing around with major and minor loads in the Glock was becoming a distraction to the shooting. At a time when I'm making some actual progress in the sport, distractions are not a good thing.

I bought the Glock and set it up for my wife anyway. She's finally decided to switch to Limited, so it has a purpose now.