Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Macchiato, "starbucks Style"

benos

Lavazza "Top Class" and "Grand Espresso" are right there as well.

Pretty good coffee, but if you happen to find Illy caffè in your neighbourhood, you'll see the difference.

Definitely the best italian coffee you can buy.

It's best if you own an espresso machine and buy the espresso (red) cans. ;)

ehhhh - I tried the highly touted Illy - compared to David's Vivace and Lavazza's Top Class, Illy tastes like it was made from charcoal instead of the real wood. My friend, and super picky taster person, tried to convince me that Illy was the best, even though he'd never seen it come out of my Espresso machine (compared to Vivace). So he finally came over and I pulled him a double shot of each. He stopped talking about Illy. He used to tell me that Illy was good because it was pure Arabica beans. I told him that maybe he's attached to the idea of the coffee rather than the coffee itself. :lol:

be

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ehhhh - I tried the highly touted Illy - compared to David's Vivace and Lavazza's Top Class, Illy tastes like it was made from charcoal instead of the real wood.

Oh, well, looks like I'll have to find a better topic to hook you up to Italy ... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from the land of the midnight sun where a late afternoon cup of coffee strong enough to wake the dead is the norm, I couldn't help but post a reply....especially since I just ingested a cup of said super-brew.

Gevalia, despite it's touted reputation here in the states, is frequently referred to as plant fertilizer in Sweden. Running close behind is Löfbergs with the comment being it isn't even good enough for the plants. Zoega is the most revered brand from my unscientific measurements gathered by looking at the shelf volume and peering at the shopping carts of the other customers. Here is their website. At around 22 kronor ($3.05) for 500g (1.1lbs) of coffee, it's affordable and good!

Hmmm...time to brew another cup!!

Lavazza "Top Class" and "Grand Espresso" are right there as well.

Pretty good coffee, but if you happen to find Illy caffè in your neighbourhood, you'll see the difference.

Definitely the best italian coffee you can buy.

It's best if you own an espresso machine and buy the espresso (red) cans. ;)

ehhhh - I tried the highly touted Illy - compared to David's Vivace and Lavazza's Top Class, Illy tastes like it was made from charcoal instead of the real wood. My friend, and super picky taster person, tried to convince me that Illy was the best, even though he'd never seen it come out of my Espresso machine (compared to Vivace). So he finally came over and I pulled him a double shot of each. He stopped talking about Illy. He used to tell me that Illy was good because it was pure Arabica beans. I told him that maybe he's attached to the idea of the coffee rather than the coffee itself. :lol:

be

Illy isn’t too bad. It isn’t nearly as good as fresh but the big thing it has going for it is a really consistent grind. It is good to use with a new espresso machine when you are first learning to make espresso.

Fresh roasted coffee is so much better though. I started roasting my own a few years ago. I had a friend that told me about how he roasted his own coffee. I thought he was crazy, I figured just buy the good stuff from the supermarket since it is better than Folgers.

Once I tried it though I was hooked. It really is ton better than anything you can get in the store. I bought a roaster from Sweetmarias and started roasting. When I told some other friends about it they thought I was crazy till I gave them some coffee. Now they bought their own roaster. Same for people at work until I started handing out samples. They are all hooked.

Sweetmarias is a great place to get started with home roasting. I bought my roaster from there and I buy all my green beans from them.

After all the years doing business and living stateside I still haven't dedicated the neurons to learn the AmericanItalian coffee terms en vogue in the fashion coffee shops. I still think coffee in Spanish:

Café negro

Café con leche

Cortadito

Colada (Cuban for when I'm in Miami)

I get my coffee directly from my hometown in PR. You can order Café Rico through their website. I like the Espresso and the Yauco Selecto but can easily live with the regular Café Rico in the red and yellow bags.

I did Starbucks once in the Atlanta airport and coldn't help to laugh at how I let them lure me to spend that ridiculous amount of money for a VERY BAD cup of coffee.

If you ever try Puerto Rican coffee let me know how you like it.

;)