Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stealing Candy From Babies

ErikW

Thursday evening before shooting Area 1, the northern Nevada contingent were sitting around, trying to come up with a fair wagering system for the match. A GM Open shooter, a GM Limited shooter, a B Open shooter, and a B Production shooter were going to have some wildly varying scores, times, and hit factors. My suggestion was anybody who shoots a D adds a dollar to the kitty. A Miss would cost you $2 in the pot. Moving targets didn't count. The shooter with the least amount of Deltas and Mikes combined would win the pot.

First up, I shot a Miss on a 3 yard hoser target. ong45 did the same thing. The Production shooter seemed to be trying to win the pot, not his class. The GMs were losing to the Bs after just one stage. On the last stage of the first day, our B Production shooter made a major contribution to the kitty with seven misses.

Day two saw most of us shoot clean, with just a few dollars-for-deltas added to the pot. I was clean of Ds and Ms, but I still wanted to win the higher payoff for the division win, after switching to Limited 10 under peer pressure. So I still had the pressure of shooting quickly without throwing away the match.

The pot was decided on the last stage. I shot a single D strong-hand, with four more Ds and two misses on the four bobbers of Stage 5. I dropped 42 points on those Ds and Ms, and lost the Limited 10 match by 32 points. However, my $4 in the wagering pot was the lowest and I took home the $34 pot. Subtract my $4 contribution, and the $30 I paid for an additional magazine pouch in order to shoot L-10, and I was dead even.

It doesn't sound like much, but I think the friendly wagering helped our shooting. For accuracy, if not for speed. With all the partials in the match, I wasn't willing to hold "center of the brown" and accept a borderline C/D hit. I wasn't willing to hold in the A zone next to the black or white and just rip off a fast pair. I wasn't going to give away money to my friends and I wasn't going to give away match points.

To be continued in Barry and Tulsa. Bring cash. We might count movers next time out.

My suggestion was anybody who shoots a D adds a dollar to the kitty. A Miss would cost you $2 in the pot. Moving targets didn't count. The shooter with the least amount of Deltas and Mikes combined would win the pot.

I like it :)

Everyone agreed that the betting was beneficial to our performance.

I wonder how expensive it would have to get before it gets counterproductive, probably dovetails nicely into the shooting points vs. letting the badger loose discussion.

If it seems like we mix an awful lot of betting with our shooting, you'd be right. Must be a side effect of living where we do. :P

Love that action !!

• 3 months later...

I played a similar game at the Canadian Nats this year, this must be where my buddy got the idea. We upped the anty a bit, D=$2 M&PT=$5 movers included. He brought up the idea, I hesitated at first then he decided for me. At the end of the match I came away with a $86 dollar profit.

Cheers to the originators.

The pot was decided on the last stage. I shot a single D strong-hand, with four more Ds and two misses on the four bobbers of Stage 5. I dropped 42 points on those Ds and Ms, and lost the Limited 10 match by 32 points. However, my $4 in the wagering pot was the lowest and I took home the $34 pot.

I don't understand - at $1/D and $2/M, shouldn't you have had $11 in the pot (counting your previous miss)???