Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 AE On Dillon 650

Dillon told me "no, you can't do it". My Dillon dealer says he has a customer that does do it, and part of the magic is apparently using the shellplate from the .44-40 conversion -- in his shop, the 50AE case fit that shellplate (and presumably the station 1 locator) perfectly. But my dealer doesn't have all the specifics (he said he'll ask the customer when he comes in next). Apparently some of it involves using the .500 S&W powder funnel (labeled in my manual as "#50 ACT EX Powder Funnel" -- a part from the 550 50AE conversion?) and a larger casefeed tube.

I think Dillon also told me that the case feeder wouldn't work because the rebated rim on the 50AE case will "stack" in the case mouths. I have a single empty fired 50AE case and I can't get a .44 Mag case to go into the 50AE case mouth, so even this might not be completely true (although it might be a source of intermittent jams).

Anyone done this or at least have a parts list of what's needed to make it work, even if it means dropping 1 case in at a time?

The case feeding is the only issue. The 45 Colt shellplate works, as well as the 50 caliber pistol funnel and xl powder die. If you remove the case feed plunger and insertion assembly from the right side of the machine you can insert empty brass from the right side with relative ease. :ph34r:

The case feeding is the only issue. The 45 Colt shellplate works, as well as the 50 caliber pistol funnel and xl powder die. If you remove the case feed plunger and insertion assembly from the right side of the machine you can insert empty brass from the right side with relative ease. :ph34r:

Do you have a specific parts list you could recommend, or is it just what you've listed above:

45 Colt Shelllpate (C Shellplate)

50 Act Ex Powder Funnel (same as listed for .500 S&W Mag)

XL Powder Die

Would the .45 Colt case feed parts (CF Body bushing, adapter, arm bushing, station 1 locator) allow you drop cases one at a time at the electric casefeed funnel opening? I'd sooner buy and install a couple of extra parts vs. taking apart the CF system.

Is the .45 Colt shellplate a better fit than the .44-40 shellplate?

Thanks for the info! I really have an itch to get a DE, but only if I can shoot .50 AE with it, and I can only do that if I can reload it on my 650.

I looked into it a long while ago and back then you had to hand-feed the cases into the side of the machine-- the bushings and tube available weren't large enough to drop them through.

I sell heaps of Dillon and suspect that using the 650 to LOad 50AE might be more trouble than its worth.

I have sold 5 or 6 RL550's in 50AE in the last year or so and think this is the best way to go. One guy who bought the RL550 looked at using his 650 and decided to buy a complete 550 instead. I suspect that is the best (but expensive) way to go in the long run.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea how much 50AE you shoot, but for not a lot more than the cost of the parts specified, why not just buy a Lee Classic Turret & a set of dies? You'll also gain a lot more flexibility. I'm strongly considering getting a Classic Turret as an alternative machine to fit in between my XL650 and my Rock Chucker, it's so reasonably priced. Nothing but glowing reports about this machine.

Edited by Rico567

I have no idea how much 50AE you shoot, but for not a lot more than the cost of the parts specified, why not just buy a Lee Classic Turret & a set of dies? You'll also gain a lot more flexibility. I'm strongly considering getting a Classic Turret as an alternative machine to fit in between my XL650 and my Rock Chucker, it's so reasonably priced. Nothing but glowing reports about this machine.

I actually shoot none, I don't even own a gun chambered in .50AE. I posted the original message when I was upgrading to a 650 and was considering a Desert Eagle (always had a bee in my bonnet to get one), but the money got spent on an S-prefix 6" S&W Model 57 instead, and the 650 loads .41 Mag rounds just fine.