Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Xd Question In Production Class

Cavi

Okay, the production class as I see it states that double action guns have to be fired as a double action shot the first shot. I was told the XD and the glock do not have a real saftey so basically they would be ready to fire already cocked? Is this right and how would this play in the competition? I ask as I want to buy a production gun in the near futrue and am planning on a XD. Also I see mostly 4 inch barrels on the XD but I know they make a 5 inch, is the 5 inch legal in the production class?

+1 on the XD. I used my 5" XD-9 Tactical during our match today. It is an excellent choice for Production. Get a Canyon Creek trigger job and you won't believe how sweet a shooter an XD becomes. I've added a set of adjustable Dawson fiber optic sights to make it a truly terrific pistol.

5 inch is fine and might be just a little more accurate. If your looking for a dual-purpose gun (comp. & carry) 5 inches might be a little much, in which case go for 4 inch. It will still be as competitive as your skills will allow.

Glocks and XD's dont have safties nor are they double action, so you wont need to worry about anything except shooting when you hear that BEEP! B)

WELCOME!

Excellent newby gun (at least I think so) I purchased an XD .45 Tactical (5") specifically for USPSA competition. I was a former Bullseye shooter who believed that it had to be a 1911 to be accurate. I never liked the "plastic" guns. I have changed my mind and really like the XD. It seems to handle the recoil better than a 1911. Very happy with mine but I don't like the SA dual mag pouch. They point in opposite directions. I purchased Fobus double stack mag pouches which I liked for stages that do not require much movement. The XD mags will jump out of the Fobus pouches.

Other than that, I can't find a better firearm for that specific purpose. I like my sights and trigger as is. Keep them clean and lightly lubricated without problems. My only other complaint is the XD seems to have a problem feeding SWC style bullets. Must use TC or RN bullets.

Okay, I am going to order one this week, I was originally going to go for the 5 inch tactical in 9 mil, but I saw the 4 inch with the ported barrel. Two questions, is the 4 with the ported barrel legal in production? Second which will be better in accuracy on speed shooting? the 4 or the 5?

ported barrels are not allowed in production. i would go with the 5 incher. although i shoot a glock 34, i have shot the xd tactical with the canyon creek trigger and i was really impressed. i think the extra length helps with recoil and long distance accuracy. but that's just my opinion.

...Two questions, is the 4 with the ported barrel legal in production? Second which will be better in accuracy on speed shooting? the 4 or the 5?

No ported barrels in Production. For Production get the 5" 9mm, has a longer sight radius.

I shot a 5in XD that was very accurate. I also tried a 4in briefly but liked way the 5in handled better so I stuck with it. I'd recomend the 5in but handle them both if you can then go with what you like the best. The ported model is not legal in the Production division, it's a ticket strait to Open... ;)

Edited by j2fast

The XD mags will jump out of the Fobus pouches.

Dan,

A quick fix...

Get some velcro, about the size of a nickle, with an adhesive back. Throw the hooked side of the velcro out. Attach the fuzzy velcro inside your mag pouch. It will give a friction fit and help hold those hags in.

Get some velcro, about the size of a nickle, with an adhesive back. Attach the fuzzy velcro inside your mag pouch. It will give a friction fit and help hold those hags in.

Thanks, I'll do that. Which side? Belt side or outside or both? I was quite surprised to find the mags missing at Rayners. Went running up to shoot more steel and ran out of bullets.

Live and learn. Had fun. Going to Circleville on Saturday? Does USPSA have a pistol caliber carbine class? Lady friend is about ready to try a match at Briar Rabbit in that class. She is intimidated by the competition. Afraid she will "make a mistake." I think she has some concern she will forget how to operate the firearm.

Dan, I think I put had some on the belt side, but I doubt it matters much. Yep, I'll be in C-ville on Saturday for USPSA. (No PCC at USPSA, but I did get it approved for the C-ville Steel Challenge matches...which is a great place for a new shooter to get their feet wet.)

Dan

THe 45 cal. XD will not be legal for production until Jan. 07 due to the requirement that they be in production for one year with a at least 500 being made. The 500 made is done so it must wait one year to be legal in production. See the newest Frontsite for the artical that covers this topic.

MDA

THe 45 cal. XD will not be legal for production until Jan. 07 due to the requirement that they be in production for one year with a at least 500 being made.
1/10/07 for the 5 inch referenced in the original post in this thread, 12/19/06 for the 4 inch version (which made it to market first). As noted in Front Sight, this also applies to Limited and Limited-10. Production requires "2000 made within a year", while 500 applies to Limited and Limited-10.

JD

Thanks for the correction. I was not at home when I replied the first time and could not remember the details. When I got home, I checked the artical and was going to make the correction you noted.

MDA

I re-read the original question today and I think we might have skipped this part some...

I was told the XD and the glock do not have a real saftey so basically they would be ready to fire already cocked? Is this right...?

The XD and the Glock do indeed have safeties. They are just a little different than what people traditionally refer to. Most think of safeties being the type that need to be clicked on and off in a seperate operation from regular gun handling.

With the XD and Glock, the acts of gripping the gun and actuating the trigger servers the function of deactivating the safeties...as well as firing the gun. There are no extra levels or movements involved.

XD 45ACP in class?

I read front sight article on the classificaton requirements for production. My plan is to shoot Limited 10. First and foremost no grand master has to fear me cheating them out of a few points with a first production year firearm. I'm currently unclassified and with luck I'll eventaully be classified a "D" Only because they don't offer an "E" classification. Kyle can vouch for me on this. I'm fairly accurate but SLOW. When I speed up, you can scratch the accurate part as well. Normally they don't use a timer. Just say go and someone marks a calendar....

(Gives the others a chance to clean their pistols between stages.)

So This coming Match, if I enter as L10 major PF, is someone going to have a fit?

The .45ACP can also be loaded down in PF. I don't know how low with only being able to go to an 18lb. recoil spring, but the .45 will make bigger holes than a 9MM and several Prduction Shooters are already loading .40S&W down. The extra weight of a 185 or 165gr. 45 should also take steel down better. Myself, I can rationalize almost anything, and like the prior poster the .45 is Cool!