Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eminem To Play Paladin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lone Ranger was held captive by the bad guys.....when everyone was asleep, Silver his trusted mount walks over to the Lone Ranger and hears the Ranger tell him..."..go get the the Posse.." Silver comes back in 2 hours with a very sexy brunette....

The Ranger tells him again...."....go get the Posse..." Two hours later Silver was back with a good looking blond....

Once again the Ranger tells him...."....go get the Posse.." Two hours later Silver comes back with a hot red head.....

The Lone Ranger sits up and yells at him...Posse Silver, Posse, not P***y

Do you think it will be the same was in the new movie...Posse Hey Boy, Posse..... :P:D

The Lone Ranger was held captive by the bad guys.....when everyone was asleep, Silver his trusted mount walks over to the Lone Ranger and hears the Ranger tell him..."..go get the the Posse.." Silver comes back in 2 hours with a very sexy brunette....

The Ranger tells him again...."....go get the Posse..." Two hours later Silver was back with a good looking blond....

Once again the Ranger tells him...."....go get the Posse.." Two hours later Silver comes back with a hot red head.....

The Lone Ranger sits up and yells at him...Posse Silver, Posse, not P***y

Do you think it will be the same was in the new movie...Posse Hey Boy, Posse..... :P:D

Now how did you know that was exactly what I was thinking??? :D

• 5 weeks later...

I just found this off of cinemafusion.com

"Eminem is a Bad Actor

Alright, I know the title of the article is a little harsh, but it’s true. He’s terrible. The doesn’t change the fact that studios are willing to star him in their movies though, especially a big screen adaptation of the ‘50s western television show Have Gun, Will Travel. The difference? Well, this isn’t going to be a western. It’s going to be set in modern day (possibly Detroit). I know, I know—Hollywood doesn’t make any sense.

The original TV show followed a bounty hunter named Paladin who lived in a hotel in San Francisco and awaited responses to his business card, which read, “Have Gun, Will Travel ... Wire Paladin, San Francisco.” I would never in a thousand years want to see Eminem star in a western, but how great of a western movie would this have been? More importantly, why is this considered an adaptation of that old TV show? Why can’t they just give it a different title instead of pretending like it has something to do with the TV show when it obviously will not.

This will be one movie with so much potential that I will certainly pass up. "

Its not even a western :angry:

Just wait till M Jackson showes up as Matt Dillon.

Larry,

:blink::huh:

I do believe that would be a hanging offense in the Great State of Texas to even suggest such a thing. Shudder shudder shudder...

Liota

I'm going to be optimistic on this one. Eminem portrayed almost himself in 8 Mile and did a very compelling job in doing so. History has shown that good actors can come from anywhere and yes even from the rap community. Tupac Shakur, before his death, was a great actor. A lot of times, if not most times, it comes down to the quality of the screenplay, script and direction.

Personally, I think Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday was horrible. Dennis Quaid did a much better job with nearly no recognition. Having grown up watching the occasional episode of Paladin at 5 or 6am on a Saturday morning before my cartoons, it'll be nice to see how this is portrayed.

Case in point. Look at how Starsky and Hutch was bastardized by Hollywood. I didn't see Dukes of Hazzard but I've heard about 50/50 positive & negatives comments with Johnny Knoxville (another underrated actor) and Jessica Simpson in the cast.

Anyone else curious over how Miami Vice is going to be portrayed?

My point is it's not so much the actor a lot of times as the framework in which they have to play their part.

So...that's my $0.02.

Rich

With ALL due respect.....Tupac Shakur was a thug and a hoodlum, who thru his music (if you can call it that), his actions and the class of people with whom he associated, did little or nothing to move his music out of the realm of denegrating women, whites, and society as we know it...and as far as being a great actor...not even remotely in the same class as say James Dean, who also died young....but not as the result of being part of the criminal subculture associated with Rap music and those that make it... ;)

Edited by tightloop

Umm...I didn't remark anything about Tupac dying young and nothing above speaks against his quality as an actor. Oh...and James Dean was a horrible actor.

Just 'cause someone is a bad person, in someone's eyes, doesn't discount their ability to act (see Sean Penn, Sean Connery, et. al.).

The point is that just 'cause Eminem is a rap artist, and maybe y'all don't like his music or what he personally stands for, doesn't mean the guy can't act and play the "complex" role of Paladin.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

Not to be more argumentative and not having seen Mr. Shakur in a movie...but I would wager a guess that if he was cast as a thug and a hoodlum...he might have been OK...cast as anything else..ZIPPO....and OH, yes I would lump Mr. Eminem in that same catagory...and since 8 Mile was his personal story...it remains to be seen what he can do with a script that does not have baggy pants, your drawers worn 4 inches above your pants, a drive-on rag, and sporting gang colors...I just don't see any crossover attraction for a wannabe black rapper from his Boyz in the Hood for a "Western".... :lol:

And how is Sean Connery a bad person...I know the "RAP" sheet on Mr. Penn...he needs to go to the Middle East and stay there...but have heard nothing about Bond, James Bond.

Edited by tightloop

Well, I'll say this. Tupac's roles were not very broad, but he was very compelling and convincing. That's what an actor is supposed to do. Part of that too though was that he had great scripts and even better directors (parentheses). For bodies of work see Juice (Ernest Dickerson), Above the Rim (Jeff Pollack) and his most heralded role in Poetic Justice (John Singleton - wrote and directed).

As for 8 Mile being Eminem's story, it was hardly his true life. About the only similarity was the coming up in the local rap community. What he did though was have a unique (to actors) opportunity to envoke his own personal life into the role and therefore make it more believable. In the end, he still has to be an actor, and not just someone spitting lines from the script. It was a well done film and a well played role.

As for the other rap stereotypes, well, I'll just say that it's a narrow view and there's nothing really anyone can do for that. I'm sure that there are more than a few folks that think all rappers eat fried chicken and watermelon, but I'll leave that view for Fuzzy Zoeler.

Lastly, Sean Connery is very anti-gun/private ownership of firearms and, like many other actors, has been very vocal about it. Just a personal bias I have towards him as a person, but I do not discount his (or others like him and Sean Penn) as actors. Remember...the roles on screen are not who they are. James Bond is a character from a book, not Sean Connery when he is away from the camera.

In the end, the movie isn't out yet, no one has see daily's, so let's hold judgement until we actually see how the role is done. At the same time, let's not be so short to judge someone simply because we may/may not agree with who they are or what else they do with THEIR time.

Enough of my soapbox.

Rich

Anyone remember the good ol' days, when trained actors, artists, directors and writers with mastery of western languages were involved in movie-making?

I cannot wait for Hollywood to totally implode so that I might actually want to watch a new movie again.

I can remember Paladin, so that's telling on myself. As to the movie, well, if it's like some of the other stuff HollyWeird rolls out, I won't waste my money. I guess that it is all about the market they have "targeted".

Anyone remember the good ol' days, when trained actors, artists, directors and writers with mastery of western languages were involved in movie-making?

I cannot wait for Hollywood to totally implode so that I might actually want to watch a new movie again.

Not even western languages. Kurosawa made some pretty good flicks. Some were even remade by Hollywood.

With ALL due respect.....Tupac Shakur was a thug and a hoodlum, who thru his music (if you can call it that), his actions and the class of people with whom he associated, did little or nothing to move his music out of the realm of denegrating women, whites, and society as we know it...and as far as being a great actor...not even remotely in the same class as say James Dean, who also died young....but not as the result of being part of the criminal subculture associated with Rap music and those that make it... ;)

Amen. We don't hear enough of this these days. Mostly these guys are glorified by the mainstream media instead of describing them for what they are, CRIMINALS. Now, as to whether he can act, we'll just have to wait and see :)

2 more felonies and he would have been eligible for the NBA draft.

Ipacbob

I had a continuing conversation with another forum member yesterday...on and off for most of the day...we had differing views of Rap music and those that make/perform it...

I stand by my comment about Shakur....it is my personal feelings that you cannot change a leopards spots and he demonstrated his ability to follow, not lead this music genre, but constantly getting into trouble with the law, getting shot numerous times, going to jail for sexual assault and finally getting himself killed....He was killed because of the very violent and sometimes criminal subculture associated with the Hip Hop/Rap music industry..because they promote violence toward other ethnic groups, the police, society as a whole and even each other...they are misogynous toward women and denegrate them with the words to their rap songs, their videos and their personal actions...and the saddest part is that the young people who listen to that music and follow it become entrapped by the messages given out in the songs: that the black man cannot get ahead, society is against him, the police are against him, the government is against him and the only way to get ahead is thru violence, militant rebellion, murder and railing against the norm. while doing little or nothing to work within the system to change their station in life...this message tends to perpetuate the problems readily acknowledged by society and creates a loop of dispair, depression, violence, drugs, and criminal activity which further enslaves the young followers of the genre...

What ever happened to the old fashioned idea of work hard, take care of business, stay out of trouble, be responsible, pay your taxes, take care of your kids and get ahead? Guess you it is too hard to rhyme something cute with "work hard"...

Now that idea is really OLD SCHOOL.... ;)

Moderators, if you feel this is too argumentative and controversial you may remove it...

Edited by tightloop